Meggysmum 5

Meggysmum

About me: Thanks to everyone for the Es, always appreciated even if I haven't had the chance to thank you. Also write under the same name elsewhere.

Member since:07.09.2009

My Tocco-Lites Best Friend

05.01.2012

Advantages:
Fits well, hard - wearing

Disadvantages:
None

Sound & Volume

Durability & Robustness

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Coloneljohn
  2. afy9mab
  3. koshkha

Two years ago I purchased my first ever touch screen phone, a Samsung Tocco Lite. Although I liked the phone in general I did have a few niggles; I was worried the screen would scratch, I found the lock key was ineffective and the textured surface on the back set my teeth on edge ( I bought it online, if I had actually touched the phone I wouldn't have purchased it as I hated the texture so much). I decided to look for a cover that would at least address a couple of the issues and make me a bit happier with my phone. I had it on a two year contract so knew I had to put up with it.

I ordered myself a leather flip case and also this silicone case, both from Amazon. The silicone case, which I think cost me about £2.75, arrived first so I decided to give it a try straight away. I was immediately impressed by the thickness of the silicone; it certainly looked like it would do a good job of protecting my brand new Tocco Lite.

My phone is pink and I decided to order the pink case so that it would co-ordinate. The reason I had selected pink instead of black in the first place was so that the phone would be easier to spot in my handbag (black phones always seem to disappear into the depths and can barely be seen) thus a pink cover was the obvious choice. The cover also came with a screen protector which I have never used as I still have the protective film on the screen that came when it was bought. I have checked the dimensions and I am keeping the protector for when my current film gets damaged. I did however buy the same cover for my son's phone (not pink though I might add!) and the protector was easy to apply and worked fine on his phone.

Fitting the cover was simplicity itself. The soft, squishy silicone stretched easily to accommodate the phone and it was a perfect fit. The cover protects the back and sides of the mobile and then folds neatly around the edges to provide good protection against knocks and also a neat and tidy appearance whilst leaving the touch-screen uncovered. The rear of the cover has a perfectly shaped cut-out to allow full use of the camera and another cut-out on the side where the headphones and charger attach. There is also a small cut-out for the microphone and also one to allow the attachment of a phone charm should you wish. This cover must also be recommended for other models as there is a gap on the top corner which must have a purpose that I don't understand!

The buttons on either side of the phone that are used for scrolling and also for the camera are completely covered by the silicone although there is a ridge to match each button on the outside of the case. This allows the buttons to be easily found but it does make them a little more difficult to use as they definitely require more pressure. I have found that this is a benefit in one way that I hadn't anticipated. Since the locking mechanism is just a press of one button (how I miss the sensible Nokia 2 button lock) I had found that the phone merrily unlocked itself whilst in my pocket or my handbag and I would look at it and find I had made calls, moved allsorts onto my task bar and generally caused havoc. Once the cover was in place this stopped happening as the direct pressure needed to unlock the phone was much greater than would be applied by accident. Unlocking the phone is easy enough by hand as depressing the silicone does not require intense pressure but I am so pleased that it has stopped unlocking unexpectedly.

The cover also covers up the three main keys on the front of the phone. Now I am used to the functions this is not a problem but during the first few weeks of use I had to keep studying the symbols on the buttons to be sure which one was which and that was quite hard to see. However it did mean that the awful textured surface was covered up as I had had trouble using the phone without gritting my teeth as I found the texture very off-putting.

The case has a nice smooth texture and I find it very comfortable to hold. The slightly rubbery feel also means that your grip is secure and I don't ever feel like I am about to drop the phone as it doesn't feel at all slippery. The slightly rubberised texture also seems to have given some protection when I have dropped my phone. I don't drop my phone often (unlike my two teenage children who break phones with amazing regularity) and I have never dropped it onto a stone floor but it has survived a couple of clashes with the concrete completely unscathed.

I bought this case in March 2010 so I have now been using it continually for over 20 months. The silicone hasn't discoloured at all which has pleased me as I have seen some cases looking quite revolting and dirty over time as the cheap silicone loses its colour. It has just started to tear a little bit at the side, just below the screen. Due to the nature of the material I expect that this will gradually become worse over the next few months but I think it will be a while before it needs replacing.

For the bargain price I paid I really cannot fault this cover. It has protected my phone beautifully, I recently took it off and my phone still looks like new. It has stopped the annoying lock/unlock situation and it has covered the unusual texture which I detested. The leather flip-case is still in the cupboard untouched as this cover proved to be absolutely perfect for what I needed.

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this review’s content

Graygirl 05.01.2012 20:35

This sounds brilliant. Great review! x

catsholiday 05.01.2012 19:30

I had a bright green one for my iphone so I could find it easily.