The overall rating of a review is different from a simple average of all individual ratings.
Share this review on
Samsung D500 is samsung's first ever bluetooth phone with a 1.3 megapixel camera. It is a slider phone, similar to that of the samsung e800 but with enhanced functions. I got this phone for free on an o2 contract of 35 pounds per month. I can say for sure this is the best phone i've had so far. Here are some of the specifications of the phone:
Launch Date: November / December 2004 (with an improved software version in January 2005) Weight: 99g with standard battery (Lightweight) Dimensions: 93.5 x 45.7 x 25.5 mm Band: GSM 900, DCS 1800, PCS 1900 Display Type: TFT - Bright, clear display Screen Resolution: 176 x 220 Colour: 262K Messaging: SMS, EMS, MMC, Video Messaging SMS memory: 200 phone memory excluding sim card memory Battery (standard): 6.5hrs talktime / 300hrs standby Ring Tones: 64 Polyphonic and MP3 Sim Type: Sliding Camera: 1.3 Megapixel Including bright LED Flash Zoom: 7X and 4X digital Video Recording: up to 60 mins Antenna: Internal Colours Available: Blue Black, Metallic Silver, Deep blue Vibration: YES Clock: YES Alarm: YES Infrared Port: YES Games: 3 Java games (Also downloadable) Bluetooth: YES Wap: Wap V. 2.0 MP3 player: YES T9 Predictive Texting: YES Voice Memo: YES Phonebook Memory: 1000 Contacts - 10 fields per contact Phone Memory: 92MB Shared Memory External memory card: NO
FUNCTIONS: 1. Call records 1.1 All Calls
(20) 1.2 Dialed calls (20) 1.2 Received Calls (20) 1.3 Missed Calls (20) 1.5 Delete all 1.6 Call time 1.7 Call cost
2. Phone book 2.1 Contact list 2.2 Add new contact 2.3 Group (4 different groups) 2.4 Speed dial (10) 2.5 My name card 2.6 Own number 2.7 Management. Caller image is enabled in this phone. There is up to 10 fields per contact including 5 phone numbers, email address, graphic ID, ringtone, groups and notes.
3. Applications 3.1 Java world (3 games and more can be downloaded - 4MB memory ) Freekick, a football game where the main aim is to score goals. Forgotten Warrior, where you wonder around labrynths, collect items of different nature and fight others. Arch Angel is a typical arcade games in which you are flying an aeroplane and your aim is to shoot down your enemies. 3.2 MP3 Player (store up to 20 songs and can be used as ringtones) 3.3 Voice recorder (up to one minute each) 3.4 World time 3.5 Alarm (morning call, alarm 1 and alarm 2) 3.6 Calculator 3.7 Convertor (weigth, length, currency, volume, area and temperature)
4. Browser All the normal browser settings like other phones
5. Messages 5.1 Short messages 5.2 Multimedia messages 5.3 Email 5.4 Push messages 5.5 Voice mail 5.6 text template (up to 10) 5.7 Broadcast meassage 5.8 memory status The good thing is that there is a protection mode for messages so you could click DELETE ALL without deleting certain messages you would like to keep by setting it on protected. This is very convenient. Also, you could block up to 10 numbers so you would not receive any messages from people you do not like.
6. Fun box 6.1 Images 6.2 Videos 6;3 Music 6.4 sounds 6.5 memory status
7. Organiser 7.1 Month view 7.2 Week view 7.3 Day view 7.4 schedule 7.5 anniversary 7.6 Miscellanous 7.7 To do 7.8 Missed alarm events 7.9 memo 7.10 Memory status (up to 400 events) I must say the organiser is really good. Once there is an input, there would be an icon on the top right of the main screen, reminding you throughout the day. This is better than most other phones that only reminds you once and then, there's a chance you might still forget about it later.
8. Camera 8.1 Take a photo 8.2 Record Video (up to an hour) 8.3 Photos 8.4 My photos 8.5 Video clips 8.6 My video clips
Samsung have embedded a SXGA 1.3 Megapixel digital camera into the rear of the D500 mobile phone with a mini mirror for self-potrait. Add photo effects and view your photos on the bright, crisp-clear TFT display with over 262 thousand colours. (1.9 inches) Close-ups or cityscapes, your photos will be vibrant and detailed. Add to it multi-shot or any other enhancement features like photo effects (10 different effects) and frames (30 different frames) and then send pictures wirelessly through Bluetooth or Infrared . You can also choose from a variety of shutter sounds which makes it really fun to play with. i personally feel that the camera is excellent, better than the nokia ones that i've had. There also is the automatic flash mode which is convenient. However, sometimes i feel that the flash may not be bright enough.
9. Settings 9.1 Time and Date 9.2 Phone settings 9.3 Display settings (choose from 4 different skins and a variety of fonts and colours) 9.4 Sound settings 9.5 network Services 9.6 Connectivity (infrared and bluetooth) This allows you to sync the phone with the computer to transfer pictures and songs. i find this feature good and i've got no problems with it. I did not have to download any softwares in my comp to enable this feature. 9.7 Security (it includes a privacy function where you get to keep you messages, pictures, videos, musics, emails private so that friends who look through your phone can not access it without the password) 9.8 Memory Status 9.9 Reset Settings
This phone also comes with an automatic keypad lock everytime you slide the phone down to its original position and also after a certain period of time. this prevents you from accidentally calling someone. At the side, there is also a quick access button to the camera. It also comes with a mini, detachable speaker which amplifies the musci when you are playing mp3s. Sometimes speaking on the phone in a crowded or noisy place can be frustrating and difficult. This phone comes with a state of the art echo and noice cancellation technology feature. The speaker phone will also suppress excess ambient noise from around you. One disadvantage of the phone is that it does not have a rotating camera like the v200 where it would be easier to capture our own photos. Also, i personally feel that the maximum ringing volume is still too soft. I can hardly hear it sometimes. The other thing is that you cant set the phone to ring and vibrate at the same time. The only thing you can do is have it vibrate first and then ring. I find this rather annoying. Samsung could also further improve on this phone by adding an external memory card like the nokia and sony ericsson phones. :) Overall, you are looking at a great phone. It may be small but it has one of the greatest variety of functions. Can be one of the best phones of the year and i'm extremely glad to have owned it. Highly recommended. hope this review helps.
Hi there, i agree this is the best phone i ever owned (yet) you've given loads of information about it too which is good but take note of what lexy said (below) she knows what she's tlaking about ;-) Michelle x
Bollinger28 13.06.2005 12:07
Your review is mainly a list of specifications. We can get this phone spec from any number of websites, but what Ciao is all about is personal opinion and user experience. Hope that helps you, Lexy