miss_d_bu... 5

miss_d_bus

About me: I've turned BLUE!! Im 26 with a degree in Politics with Human Rights and finished a masters in computing!

Member since:06.08.2003

Samsung SyncMaster 151S

30.01.2004

Advantages:
low user of electricity, small, light to carry

Disadvantages:
rotating monitor software doesnt work on XP

Picture quality

Colour sensitivity

Design

Value For Money

Image Size in relation to tube sizeGood

Ease of InstallationExcellent - very quick and easy

SpeedFast

Manufacturer SupportGood

Instruction manualGood

6 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Pozza
  2. redroses1983
  3. SirLink

The Samsung SyncMaster 151s is a TFT LCD monitor. It is 15-inches. The way TFTs are measured are different than the conventional CRT monitors so this makes it similar to a 17" CRT monitor. The monitor accepts analog RGB video signals.

Picture quality:
===========
The picture os very bright. and very good quality. I have had this monitor for a few years now and it was then £360. At the time it was voted by the main PC magazines as being both the cheapest and highest quality on the market. I sometimes think the picture is a little fussy but I am not sure if its my terrible eyesight and me needing to go to bed or if it is the monitor.

Resolution
=========
The monitor's native resolution is 1024 x 768 but it will work at 800 x 600 if preferred. Compared to CRTs of the same size, its resolution is a bit small but thats how TFTs work so if you want a bigger resolution, you probably will have to get a 17" TFT.

Turn the screen around!
===================
The monitor comes with software where you can turn the screen landscape so it makes it easier for people who do word processing and dessktop publishing etc and need to see the whole document on one screen. I'm not sure if this feature is that useful as that was what I thought zoom was for. I've not used it but I will assume someone will find it handy.
I could not get the software to install on Windows XP for this but it was sometime ago so maybe Samsung has an update on their website. I cant say I have looked. The software is for Windows only so Linux /Mac users wont be able to benefit from this feature.

Appearance
==========
The base is fairly small but it is like a small round circle shape and that gives a small space to stick things on it. I can place my floppy disks under the monitor screen so it does help by keeping my desk cleared if only a bit. The monitor is a slim design and features the buttons down the right side.

Setup
=====
There are 6 buttons on the front of the monitor. The top is the power button with a yellow LED. The next button is the menu button that is used unsurprisingly to access the monitor's setup menu. The menu includes features such as for adjusting brightness, contract, language of the menu, position of the picture and its width and height. The menu button doubles up as the enter button when using the menu. The next buttons down are the + and - for changing the settings. The 2nd to the bottom is the exit button that is used to exit both sub-menus and the menu. The bottom button is for the monitor to use its auto calibration of settings for what is pre-porgrammed as the desired setup for the monitor.

The monitor comes with drivers on a CD and the roatng monitor software. Itt comes with its own power cable. The screen can be rotated, moved upwards for extra height and moved from side to side. There is a small blue pin that holds the monitor in the desired place. I am not sure that this is very strong and I wonder if it would break if I frequently moved my screen from landscape to portriat. The pin fits into a small hole in the base of the monitor and once in place, the screen says in place.

This monitor is available in black, ivory and silver. I went for ivory as there was an extra charge for other colours and at the time, there was a shortage of non-ivory models being manufactured. I imagine that this is not a problem now as this monitor is more well known.

This monitor can be bought for less than £200 but it is now being replaced by the SM152s series which is similar but as it is newer, inevitably the screen will be better.

The monitor seems to be fine for gaming. There was this feeling when TFT monitors came on the market that they were not suitable for gaming as the screens could not respond fast enough to the picture the computer was sending to the monitor. I did not have this problem and I havent noticed any problems with refreshing.

Being a TFT monitor, it uses less electricity then the CRTs and this monitor has been given the mark of approval and features a TCO 99 sticker. I use my computer a lot so it does make a noticable difference to the electricity bill by having a TFT instead of a CRT.

As with all TFT monitors, this takes little space on the desk and it is light to carry.

I suggest this monitor because I have had it many years and it is still working and I have no dead pixels and it still is in new working order. If not this monitor, i am sure newer models are worth purchasing.

redroses1983 31.01.2004 08:46

Very good review i enjoyed it.....

belinda9 30.01.2004 22:23

I have just bought a Flat Screen monitor a month ago, but my husband has nicked it to put his cycling game on it.

patriciat 30.01.2004 22:10