Review of "Samsung VP-D55"

published 03/02/2004 | Plodd
Member since : 16/01/2003
Pro Cheap and easy to use.
Cons poor picture quality in low light.
Range & quality of features
Recording quality
Picture quality

"Digital quality on the cheap."

I bought my Samsung video camera about 18mths ago. My reason for choosing this model was that it was cheap, and err, it was cheap.
I felt that at this price point the difference between the various models and makes would be small.

The camera comes with an 800k pixel CCD (the bit that actually records the image) and a 22X optical zoom. I was pleased with the 22X zoom but recently when a colleague was looking for a similar camera I realised that very few budget cameras come with this level of zoom. The camera also has DIS which in short is a digital way of cutting out your shakes when filming, something I haven't used at all. There is a very good colour LCD screen to use as a viewfinder, although there is a small B&W one as well, and to watch playback of your recordings.
The camera is baisically a rebadged Sony and comes with Sonys iLink connection to your PC. This is another name for Firewire nothing more or less.

Overall I wanted to find a cheap way into digital video recording to put my sons early years onto film and then my PC and CD. This camera has filled that role very well and as I have no aspirations to be the next Spielberg I feel that it will continue to do so for some time yet.

• kepler3001 published 03/02/2004
    A good start but it needs to be a bit more detailed to get higher ratings. Have a look around at other reviews to see what is needed. If you add more info leave me a note in my guestbook and I will gladly re-rate. Wayne.
  • blurbubble published 03/02/2004
    OK, you tell us it was cheap - but not actually how much and where from! Important details that lots of people will want to know! Cheers, BB :o)