Review of "Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)"

published 09/02/2001 | rustifer
Member since : 02/02/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Eating yourself to bursting point in the fully inclusive hotels
Cons Not much to do and rip off prices

"Santo Domingo"

My husband and I were really looking forward to wandering round local markets and picking up unusual souvenirs in the Dominican Republic but, unfortunately, holidays in the Dominican Republic are not for people who want to travel around and experience the country for themselves.

We were in an all inclusive, which was just as well, because there was nowhere to go outside the hotel complex. The complex itself was lovely and there were only 2 hours in the day when you couldn't get food (2pm-4pm) which was brilliant.

The trips on offer were pretty expensive which meant we couldn't really afford to do many and, if you wanted to hire a taxi you had to find a couple of other folk to go with you as the taxis were really people carriers and it was approximately £50 to hire them for a couple of hours to go to the nearby city of Santo Domingo, which turned out to be pretty unimpressive. We did an interesting half day trip to the river where they filmed the Rambo films and that included a trip on a 'Gator' which is like a double decker bus which can go on land or in water which was a great experience.

There wasn't much to buy in the way of souvenirs apart from cigars, rum and oil paintings which are copies of old Haitian pictures. On account of the lack of interesting souvenirs I ended up buying a dead tarantula encased in a picture frame. One thing I can thank the Dominican Republic for is my introduction to scuba diving. I found the place so boring that my husband and I decided to do a couple of try dives and have since completed our Padi Open Water and Advanced Open Water certification in Scotland where we live.

• Davie123 published 09/02/2001
    My uncle got married here a couple of years ago and some of my family (including my mum) attended (unfortunately I couldn't afford it). They all loved it but that's because they went for the sun and some R&R. I guess if your looking for a shopping and local culture holiday this is not the place to go as there's not much to do. Davie.
  • Bevdav published 09/02/2001
    What a shame it didn't work out quite as you hoped. These moe exotic islands always look so pretty on the holiday programmes. Haven't seen Santo Domingo covered much on Wish you were here etc though. Bev

Product Information : Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

Listed on Ciao since: 10/09/2000