Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy

Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy

Rock & Pop - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: Island - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 15/04/2013 - 602537352111, 602537331086

Review of "Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy"

published 01/10/2013 | rockchick2k7
Member since : 16/06/2007
Some reviews to go up soon. Just catching up with rates!
Pro Great come back, a lot of strong tracks
Cons Courtney Love is on it.
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Save Rock and Roll - Fall Out Boy"

Fall Out Boy – Save Rock and Roll
2013
ISLAND

It was a shocker when Fall Out Boy came out and confirmed the conspiring rumours that had been floating around for a couple of years. When they announced that they were releasing a new album, I pretty much wanted to cry rainbows. If you say you don’t love Fall Out Boy, you’re probably trying to be different but you secretly like them!

However, my happy vibe kind of slipped slightly when I heard the first release ‘My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark.’ It took me a while to warm to it as it was very different to their old material, but that is exactly what they were going for! Once I had gotten used to the new sound, my excitement bubbled once again and I was eager for the album. And as I’m sat here typing this, I’m getting excited all over again simply because they are back and my god did they come back with a bang!
Members -
Patrick Stump
Pete Wentz
Joe Trohman
Andy Hurley
Fall Out Boy hail from Illinois and formed back in 2001 and their previous releases are:
Take This To Your Grave
From Under The Cork Tree
Infinity on High
Folie a Deux
Track Listing
‘The Pheonix’
‘My Songs Know What You Did In the Dark’
‘Alone Together’
‘Where Did the Party Go’
‘Just One Yesterday’ (Feat. Foxes)
‘The Mighty Fall’ (Feat. Big Sean)
‘Miss Missing You’
‘Death Valley’
‘Young Volcanoes’
‘Rat a Tat’ (Feat. Courtney Love)
‘Save Rock and Roll’ (Feat. Elton John)

For me, every track off this album is brilliant and the boys have wow’d a lot of their fans. There are those of course who don’t like it but maybe they just can’t see that this kind of change is good change.
My personal favourites
‘The Pheonix’ – The first track off the album and it immediately grabs your attention. You kind of have to sit there for a moment and ask ‘is this really Fall Out Boy?’ But yes. Patrick Stump and his vocals have only improved since their last release ‘Folie a Deux’. The whole sound is just mind blowing. The lyrics to this track are pretty amazing, too. Very well written and good proof of how much the band have progressed in the time they spent apart as individuals. Nice strong beat to this track, especially when the chorus kicks in with a killer bass line to accompany them.

‘Alone Together’ – I don’t know why but recently I have had somewhat of an obsession for this track. I spent a whole 12 hour coach journey with it on repeat! And I’m still not bored of it. It starts off with the vocals and the drum joins in not too long after. The lyrics are perfect and I have to say that Patrick Stump really knows how to use his talents. I much prefer his voice now more than I did before the split, or ‘hiatus’ whichever you want to pick. This is a very catchy track and very upbeat but it’s not too fast paced. Definitely one of my top five.

‘The Mighty Fall’ (Feat. Big Sean) – This track, despite the fact that I find the ‘rapper’ verses utterly annoying, is one of the best and that is down to the guitar rhythm and the vocals. It has a somewhat heavy feel – but not too heavy! And it really grips your attention, especially with the lyrics. I especially love it when it gets to 2:07 when it goes soft for a few moments to a high pitch right before Big Sean starts his verse.

‘Miss Missing You’ – This track is my most favourite, and I avoid playing it too much with the fear of overplaying it. Everything from the lyrics right down to the skippy beat is just perfect. I think what really does it for me is the lyrics, I have some kind of relation to it and the words that stand out the most is ‘Sometimes before it gets better, the darkness gets better, the person you take a bullet before is the behind the trigger’ I really do love that little verse. Just a top track and totally worth checking out!
‘Save Rock and Roll’ (Feat. Elton John) – What did it for me, before I even listened to this track, was the fact that they had got Elton John on it. I love Elton John! So what’s better than Fall Out Boy and Elton together? This track is amazing, as I’d expected it to be, it has some really strong vocals in it which match the oddly captivating lyrics. Lyrics some can certainly relate to. It’s the kind of track that you would need to listen to, to understand why I feel it is so good. Despite the title, it’s not a very rock-ish song, but you can understand the message behind it. However, if it was a more pumped song, I don’t think it would sound right at all! Absolutely adore this track and would suggest anyone to listen to it.

The one song that, I do like but would prefer not to listen to is Rat a Tat, simply because Courtney Love’s voice sounds like nails on a chalk board, and I hate it. But when I have the album on, I just let it run through and tend to zone out during this track. Probably the only downfall to this album, for me.

Worth getting, and definitely a band you’d want to see live if you haven’t already had the chance. They put on a show and half!

• RobWK published 26/01/2017
    Terrible band xD Great review
  • 2mennycds published 24/10/2015
    well reviewed
  • sirodar published 24/10/2015
    Infinity on high is one of my favourite albums of all time. But this album just didn't impress me. Great review though!