Review of "Savlon Skin Healing Cream"

published 09/02/2007 | amyloop
Member since : 22/02/2006
Pro Keeps skin really clean and also soft
Cons quite expensive
Side effects
Effectiveness

"My tattoo"

I recently got a tattoo (about 4 days ago) and the man who did my tattoo reccommended savlon to make sure that the area was kept clean and soft in order to avoid infection or fading of colour.
I have always used savlon on wounds, even down to the last graze, purely because ive had a bad experience with a skin infection caused by a burn and lets just say it wasn't very nice.
I bought a 100g tube of savlon crean which cost me about £3.50, savlon also do an antiseptic spray and a special spray for burns, but i bought the cream because i needed the moisture on the tattoo more than anything.

The tube is blue and quite a big tube so you get a very generous amount of cream, and the cream is really thick so it only takes a pea sized amount to use on an area the size of about two fifty pence pieces.
The cream is not scentless, it smells quite strongly of antiseptic, which i find reassuring!! And its not a completely terrible smell so that is not a disadvantage.

The cream rubs in very easily but if you use to much in one application i find that it is harder to rub in (I suppose this is like any cream)

I have found this cream an absolute god send in my particular situation, it has kept my tattoo unbelievably clean and soft, and i apply it around 7 times a day to maintain this. My friend has been using vaseline on her tattoo and hers has already gone dry and a bit crusty, as vaseline only acts as a barrier cream and does not allow the wound (tattoo) any air to help with the healing or any rejection of unwanted bacteria.

When previously i have used savlon on cuts and grazes, the wounds have healed quicly and without problems.

My personal reccommendation is that if you do recieve any cuts or burns, it is always safe to use some sort of antiseptic cream, or even the spray, it is much easier for the wound to heal and if you recieve an infection then it will delay the healing process by far and may leave many scars.
The cream is a lot better to use on new cuts or burns, then i would say use the spray in the final stages of healing as you do not need to rub it in and possibly open up the wound again.
I hope this review has been helpful, i am not a doctor, but i know from past experience that this particular antiseptic is effective.

• KateHurst published 28/05/2009
    Haven't got any tattoos myself but this is really interesting information for those who do - and a good comparison with other "protective" products, such as Vaseline.
  • JenJen1982 published 04/09/2008
    Same here! A complete godsend for tattoos!
  • shazzaspannered published 23/04/2007
    I used this on my tattoo ad it really does help aid the healing process. Oddly enough I really like the smell of this - one of those must haves for the medicene cabinet I think x