angelboou... 4

angelboouk123

About me: Studying has been resumed so less time to spend here..sorry if I get behind on rates x

Member since:01.06.2010

Bursting With Shine!

14.05.2012

Advantages:
easy to apply, isn't messy, colour and shine, long lasting

Disadvantages:
price? not many colours in the range

How easy is to apply?

How did the colour meet your expectations?

Why did you buy it?Recommendation

Value for moneyGood

54 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. jjcross
  2. Coloneljohn
  3. wazza115
  1. Amazingwoo
  2. kama0529
  3. greenierexyboy

Schwarzkopf is a well recognised hair care brand. They offer a wide range of hair dyes for those wishing to dye their hair at home. Their Live XXL range is popular with those wishing to have a more dramatic and vibrant hair colour.

Shake It Up Colour Foam

Schwarzkopf have recently extended their hair dye range to include foam hair dyes. These hair dyes are classed as 'permanent' hair colours which claim to offer a 'gloss effect' and a 'juicy fruity scent'. The difference between this foam dye and regular hair dyes is the consistency. The foam is designed to be non drip and can be applied to the hair like you would apply a regular shampoo.
Packaging, Contents and Other Essential Information

There are currently 7 shades available in this range including 'Dark Chocolate Delight', 'Blueberry Crush' and 'Red Berry Passion'. There is a bit of every intense shade on offer including purples, reds and rich chocolate brown shades. For the purpose of this review, I will be discussing my chosen colour '499 - Violet Berry Burst' which is suitable for light brown to dark brown hair colours but the results will depend on how dark your hair actually is.

The packaging is quite unique. It is a plastic 'cup' shaped tub which has the product information dotted around it. The hair dye is designed to be shaken up inside this tub. The contents are as follows :
  • developer lotion enriched with strawberry extract- 120ml
  • sachet lof colour powder - 120ml
  • sachet of conditioner 15ml
  • 1 pair of gloves
  • instruction leaflet

Schwarzkopf recommend that to do an allergy test 48hours prior to using this hair dye. The ingredients list is located on the base of the tub. If you have hair past your chin, two tubs of hair dye should be used. The contents of the developer lotion and the powder sachet should be mixed together and shaken 40 times before using. Apply the hair dye, wait 30 minutes, rinse and apply the conditioner.
Price and Availability

Shake It Up Colour Foam is available from various supermarkets and stores such as Boots. Expect to pay around £5.99 but shop around for price reductions.

My Thoughts

Despite being only 24, I have suffered with the odd grey hair since the age of 15. I have been dying my hair for several years now and always look to try new dyes to see if they will perform any better than the previous hair dye. I am fond of the Live XXL hair dyes that Schwarzkopf offer but back in February I spotted the new Colour Foam on offer in Tesco. It was priced at £4.00 but £5.99 is about average for this type of hair dye.

The first Colour Foam dye I used was just before I went away for the week with my little family back in February. Despite being classed as 'permanent' I have yet to find any permanent colour. Hair grows and therefore roots are visible - shine fades and therefore a top up is required. I have recently dyed my hair using the exact same hair dye again after around 10 weeks from the intial use. This is good going and despite the fact the colour was actually quite strong and noticeable on my hair still, my roots were driving me crazy as my hair grows so quick.

The first time I used this hair dye, my hair was just around chin left and I found there was far too much hair dye for my hair. It is currently at shoulder length and the amount of foam created is perfect for my hair length. Any longer than shoulder length then 2 tubs wouldn't definitely be required. I chose 'Violet Berry Burst' as I like my natural dark brown hair to be a purple like shade.
Shake That Colour Up!

Preparing this hair dye is exceptionally simple and the instructions are clear and to the point. The tub offers a secure surrounding for the foam itself. The developer lotion is a clear liquid and has a strong, synthetic strawberry scent. The powder is easy to sprinkle into the tub. The lid on the tub can be secured well to avoid leakages when shaking it. It is recommended that you shake the tub 40 times and this is more than sufficient as the liquid soon turns to a thick, pale red foam and there is plenty of it!

Applying this hair dye is a breeze. The gloves fit well but I still managed to get dye around my nails. The foam is easy to scoop out the tub and doesn't drip everywhere. I can clearly see where I have applied it as it makes the area of hair look pale pink and damp. It feels like I am applying a mousse as it is very light weight on the hair. I spread it across my roots and then down the length of my hair before giving it a good massage in - it spreads well. No drips occur but a little foam does become noticeable along the top of my forehead. This can be avoided by smearing on some Vaseline before you start.

The scent of this hair foam when on my hair is quite pleasant. It is fruity and thankfully doesn't have that chemical aroma that most dyes have. Once the hair dye was applied, I scooped up my hair and popped it under an old towel. The hair dye didn't cause any irritation whilst it worked its way into my hair and I was able to chill out for half an hour.

When it comes to washing a hair dye out, I hate this process as it takes so long! I wet it, lathered it up a little and then rinsed which took a good 10 minutes until it was clear. I would recommend rinsing the bath quickly after otherwise it may stain! The dye doesn't dry out my hair as much as others but the conditioner is essential to lock in moisture. The sachet of conditioner is sufficent to give my hair a good coating. It is thick and has a lovely, subtle fruity smell which clings to my hair when washed out.
Results

I have been impressed with each foam dye I have used and will continue to purchase this one. My hair is soft and has a healthy looking shine after I have dried it. The colour offered by 'VIolet Berry Burst' is quite intense but not over the top - it isn't as purple as it would be if you went to a hair dressers but it does give decent results. Immediately after drying my hair, the colour is very noticeable and glistens under the light. The purple/violet flows nicely and is quite a deep purple with black undertones - just the way I like it and it doesn't leave me looking like Barney!

As I said previously, the colour remained fresh along the lengths of my hair for a good 10 weeks and only gradually lost some of its vibrancy changing to purple tints as opposed to all over purple colouring. The second dye has increased the shine and there is a stronger colour so I can only assume the purple becomes more evident with each use. Those with lighter hair will experience a different intensity of colour from those with dark hair.
Conclusion

I can highly recommend these foam hair dyes. They are so easy to use and the results are excellent. I would say these dyes are aimed more towards the younger market for intense colour rather than grey coverage but they do cover (pardon the pun) both aspects! It is worth the £6.00 cost and I will buy it again as and when it is required.

Thanks for reading :)
Pictures
Schwarzkof Schwarzkopf xxl color foam violet berry burst 238 - Schwarzkopf xxl color foam violet berry burs
Schwarzkopf xxl color foam violet berry burst

jjcross 10.04.2013 17:36

Ver well reviewed!

Coloneljohn 25.05.2012 10:53

Excellent review. John

greenierexyboy 19.05.2012 23:22

Way, way too scared to ever dye my hair...