Scottish Power

Scottish Power

Review of "Scottish Power"

published 16/05/2010 | lisacallow
Member since : 10/09/2004
Pro Quick and Simple Switchover
Cons Not so competitively priced

"Power to the People? Switch and See."

As a new customer Scottish Power, I am still in the early stages of my relationship with them, and thus far have not experienced any huge problems, however, like most of us I used a Cashback site to take full advantage of switching providers, and earning myself £120 back for a duel fuel switch over which I was pretty pleased with. The only downside is the length of time cashback becomes available (2+ months) which I have since learnt is due to Scottish Power requiring a first and prompt payment once your account has been set up. It seems, like many of their counterparts, they are very keen to "hook" customers, however aren't as prompt on paying out.

Switchover: The switchover from my previous provider was very smooth and post-application took six weeks to complete. Scottish Power were very communicative, sending me updated emails every two weeks regarding what they were doing and the length of time they were taking to switch my account from my previous provider. After four weeks, they asked me for a current meter reading in order to commence my account and avoid any estimated charges. I did this promptly and received an email two days later advising me my online account was now live and accessible, and that charges would commence from two weeks after that date. I additionally received a letter confirming this which I found a very efficient addition to their communication.

Up and Running: Upon commencement of my supply, I was duly notified again by email and letter, then two weeks later a fixed bill for £75, and outlining £75 per month for the duration of my agreement, until April 2011. I signed up with Scottish Power on the attraction of the fixed rate amount, which remains unchanged throughout the agreement. The Online Fixed Dual Fuel April 2011 rate sounded like a good deal, however in hindsight I should have performed a few price comparisons, as since I became a customer, I have founded a number of cheaper deals with NPower and Southern Electricity to name but a few. I think I also went with Scottish Power because of the relatively good reputation they have, and several friends use the company so I also went on word-of-mouth. My fixed amount for the entire year totals £912, and if you minus the cashback I got from switching to them, it works out at around £790, so actually it wasn't that bad, and is almost on a par with the online fixed agreement NPower offer of £781 for one year. (Also their cashback was less so I haven't done too badly).

Since commencing my agreement, I have received a tolerable amount of communication from Scottish Power, mainly informative regarding their additional Boiler Coverage services, but also and to note, a letter stating that although my fixed monthly rate is £75, it is actually subject to review after three months, therefore if I am using less energy than I am paying for, I will be refunded and also moved to a discounted version of the agreement I am on. I think this is very good of them and will save any communications in the future regarding me paying too much, I hope. I'm not bombarded by telephone calls from the company and I haven't yet had any problems as a customer, and am pleased to say it's the smoothest switch I have ever undergone.

• M.Newcastle published 16/05/2010
    Well reviewed x
  • MEL0611 published 16/05/2010
    Great review x
  • pgn0 published 16/05/2010
    Clearly-written review, and congrats on the switch-back (to Ciao!).

Product Information : Scottish Power