Review of "Screwfix"

Member since : 18/08/2007
Pro Cheap, Big product range, Fast delivery, great website
Cons Catalogue needs more info
Delivery time
Wide range/choice of products?
Helpfulness of Staff

"Screwfix - Great Prices"

Screwfix sell all kinds of items for tradesmen and DIYers. They are owned by Kingfisher PLC, the same people who own B&Q. However, many of Screwfix's products are half the price of B&Q's and of better standard. The best way of seeing the products that Screwfix have to offer is by looking at one of their catalogues.

The Catalogue
The Screwfix catalogue features their whole product range and spans over 1000 pages. It is split into 30 different sections to help find particular products and includes an index. Each item has a picture and a price chart, specifying sizes and prices. Some products offer a bulk deal; the more you buy, the more you save. The prices in the catalogue include VAT. This is useful for people like me, who are DIYers and cannot claim back VAT. Screwfix bring out a new catalogue around every two to three months. You can get a full colour catalogue for free by visiting their website, www.screwfix.com.

The Products
Screwfix offer many different products that do many different things. They supply:
Screws
Abrasives
Sealants
Decorating Sundries
Paint
Ironmongery (hooks, door handles etc.)
Security Items (padlocks, locks, CCTV)
Lighting
Electrical Items
Heating and Cooling
Plumbing
Bathrooms
Kitchens
Flooring
Building Items (Staircases, guttering, windows, doors etc.)
Outdoor Buildings
Safety and Workwear
Cleaning products
Access and Storage products
Automotive Items
Van Stuff (accessories for vans)
Hand Tools
Landscaping Items
Power tools

All of the products supplied are relatively cheap. For instance, I can pick up a pack of 25 'modesty blocks' (plastic corner blocks) from B&Q for about £2.40. From Screwfix, I can pick up a pack of 100 for £2.79. I also spotted a small consumer unit at B&Q for about £70. That day I bought one for half the price from Screwfix. This just about puts into perspective how cheap you can get things from Screwfix.

How to Buy
There are three ways to purchase items from Screwfix. The easiest is online. Just type in the product name or code and press add to basket. Delivery is £5 for orders under £50. It is free if your order is over £50. The second way to order is on the phone. Tell them the product number and they will send it to you. The other way is to visit a Trade Counter. There are currently 71 of these across the country. The set-up is similar to Argos. You fill in a slip with product numbers, go to the desk and wait for your products. This is a very simple method and means you don't have to go walking around a big shop.

Delivery
Delivery costs £5 for orders under £50. Orders over this value can have free delivery. The standard delivery is next day befor 6:30PM. However, they also offer faster delivery and Saturday delivery if you are prepared to pay a bit extra.

Delivery to some remote areas costs more. Check the Screwfix website for more details.

My Opinion
I have used Screwfix many times now to purchase many products. Every time I have been impressed. They have always delivered on time, and the once that there was an error with the system, they e-mailed us straight away to inform us that they delivery would be the day after. When I first used the Trade Counter, the till staff didn't know what they were talking about. However the managers of the sop do, and were able to tell me about what I was buying. The catalogue could do with being a bit more detailed, but Screwfix do not see this as important as they aim at tradesmen. Do not let this put you off however. Screwfix also serve many DIYer's and homeowners and are happy to do so. I would highly recommend giving Screwfix a go as they offer a much wider selection than the big hardware stores and often at cheaper prices.

• gt5952 published 25/11/2007
    V Nice review Matty, well done! Loads of info!
  • cwestern published 15/11/2007
    I've never had the nerve to try them as I prefer to see what I'm getting. However, I've never heard a bad report about them. Maybe next time I have a project coming up. Thanks for the reveiw
  • Mitsudan published 12/10/2007
    Well written and informative review. David

offers "Screwfix"