Sea Explorer Submarine, Kos

Review of "Sea Explorer Submarine, Kos"

published 06/09/2017 | Candyperfumegirl
Member since : 19/03/2014
Many thanks for all the reads & rates
Pro Underwater experience. Views.
Cons pricy. commentary
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Exploring Under The Sea"

Sea Explorer Submarine, Kos

This year we took a family holiday to Kos, Greece, although we spent the majority of our time in the beautiful resort we also took a few day trips. We spent an entire day in Kos town centre, as there was just so much to see and do there. We found ourselves strolling down the beautiful marine, enjoying the sun and looking at the different boats, when we came across the Sea Explorer Submarine Experience. We must have only been stood there a few seconds before we were approached by the captain who handed us a flier, told us some information about the trip and informed us we were just in time for the final trip leaving in ten minutes. After discussing it a little as a family we all agreed that it sounded like a wonderful experience and we all climbed aboard.

The Sea Explorer Submarine

The boat itself looked very modern, both inside and out. Outside it was painted white and yellow, with 'Sea Explorer' printed in bold lettering along the side. So, as far as tourist style boats, this one looked the part.

On board, the boat is modern looking and fairly well equipped. There were two toilet cubicles and also a small bar. Around the front of the boat is the seating area consisting of wooden benches around the perimeter with bars in place for safety.

However, downstairs in the main attraction. Walking down the white metal steps and reaching the bottom of the boat was quite an experience, as the walls were completely clear, giving amazing underwater views. There was a large white seating area in the centre to sit on as you enjoyed the underwater adventure.
Times & Price

The Sea Explorer sets sail 5 times daily from the Old Harbour in Kos town centre. The duration is between 90 - 100 minutes

Times: 10:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00 & 18:00.

Price: Adults 25E, Children (2-11 years) 19E. Children under 2 are free.

Our Experience

We found the captain and his crew very polite and chatty, it was nice that they even made time to engage with our children too. When we began enquiring about prices they were very reasonable, our 2 year old son was asleep in his pram and therefore they didn't charge an admission price for him, this was good news considering he didn't wake up until we were literally getting back off the boat at the end.

We boarded the ship and made our way to the front as told to by the captain, we found plenty of seating available. There were a few people already seated when we got there and more arrived as we were waiting. Apparently a total of 60 passenger's can enjoy the attraction, but I can imagine it would begin to feel at little crowded at full capacity. Thankfully, there were only about 15 people riding during our trip, which meant there was plenty of room to move about and there were no heads disrupting the views.

At 4:00, the boat let off a big whistle and off we set. The boat moved slowly South thought the marine and we were able to enjoy its delights, as other boats came in and out. About 10-15 minutes into the journey, the captain informed his passenger's that they could now make their way downstairs, which was a very exciting prospect. As we had a sleeping baby in his pram, my partner and I took turns going downstairs with our other two kids. Thankfully, I was up first and so made my way down the staircase with my daughters.

The downstairs area was well lit and nicely laid out and it gave just amazing views of the underwater world, we felt completely submerged. We parked ourselves on the chairs and watched the fishes swim about, I don't know the names of any fish, but there was a wide variety of different ones to enjoy looking at. It was great being so up close to these fish, swimming about in their own enviroment. The water was nice and clear too, so visability was good. When I popped upstairs to switch with my partner I was sitting on the top deck and noticed the crew throwing food over board, ah, no wonder there were so many fish swimming alongside!

Next, the captain put down the anchor and the passenger's below deck were treated to views of a sunk shipwreck. But as I was up top, I only saw the top of the ship pocking though the sea. My partner and kids insisted that it was a delight, and found it interesting watching all the marine life inside the empty boat.

Hooray, it was my turn again. Downstairs I went discover my very excited kids looking out of the 'window' and there was a diver, coming to each section and showing us some underwater treats including a crab and a squid!! To my surprise, he also took out an underwater camera and took a photo of me and my kids (I later saw these photos were published on their Face book page).

Finally, we were all told to come back upstairs to the deck, where passenger's were allowed to jump of the boat and have a little swim about. My partner and I hadn't planned this trip, so didn't have our swimming costumes on (plus of course we had the kids and a sleeping toddler with us!) so we sat it out and enjoyed watching the other passenger's splash about whilst also taking in the nice views.

Once the anchor is raised the boat begins to return to the port, there is then the option to stay upstairs or return back down. We decided to sit on top and enjoy the relaxing boat ride home, there were plenty of other tourist boats out and about and we all got plenty of waves back and too. We were most impressed by 'the Party Boat' which sailed past booming music and with people dancing on deck, they were a friendly bunch (and pretty drunk by the looks of it too).

Getting off the boat, again the staff were friendly and even helped us getting off with our pram.

If I had one niggle with the whole experience it would be the lack of communication. It would have been nice to have heard a bit more about the types of fish we were looking at, some information on the shipwreck and the areas we were sailing through. In fact, apart from welcoming us on and off the boat and a few brief directional comments (you can go downstairs now.) there wasn't much else.

Final Thoughts

This was a really enjoyable trip and a bit random too as we had not planned it. The views from on top were beautiful, but sitting underneath submerged in the sea and coming up close to the underwater world was an amazing experience. The whole family loved it. However, it could have done with a little more commentary from the captain and it was perhaps a little overpriced, but then these things usually are. So its 4 Ciao stars from me.

• euphie published 10/09/2017