Review of "Seagate STEA1000400 1TB"

published 22/08/2017 | Pointress
Member since : 19/03/2014
Thanks to all those for review and rate. I think I'm back on track, but message me if I've not returned the favour of a rate.
Pro Super easy to use
Cons None
Memory / capacity
Reliability
Design
Ease of Installation

"Excellent external drive for keeping my digital photos safe"

The Seagate drive

The Seagate drive

~~~ Why I bought it ~~~
For most of my personal computing needs, I use my work laptop. I do have my own personal one but it’s now a pretty ancient and heavy machine that sits on my desk at home collecting dust and reminding me that I need to bite the bullet and splash out on a new model for myself. However, I don’t feel I can use my work computer for sorting, storing and generally playing around with my digital photos. It’s one of the few areas of my life where I bring some order and discipline to things – storing all my images from different cameras and multiple other devices (phones, iPad etc) in one place. And that one place is Mr. P’s laptop which itself is now getting pretty long in the tooth and I don’t want it to pack up without my being able to access my much loved photos..

At one time I used to back up all my images on to CD but that seems a little old hat now. But I have always worried that I have no backup and also when I do eventually get round to buying my own laptop, I will need a quick and easy way to transfer my image files on to it. So a few months ago I decided that the time had come to get my act together and I buy an external drive. My son had recently bought a Seagate drive that he had given a good report and so I did a search on Amazon and came up with this little number – to be precise the Seagate Expansion STEA1000400 1TB

~~~ Its vital statistics: ~~~
Capacity: 1 TB
Interface: USB 3.0
Data Transfer Rate: 5.0 Gbps (USB 3.0)
Power Source: USB bus
Dimensions (WxDxH): 80 mm x 117 mm x 14.8 mm
Weight: 170 g
~~~ How I use it ~~~
The set-up is really straightforward. It really is plug and play – I simply connect the drive to whichever laptop I happen to be using by a USB cable and I’m ready to go. The drive is powered from the USB cable, so there is no need for an external power supply and it’s automatically recognized by the Windows with no software to install and nothing to configure. It just appears in file manager as another drive and files can be moved around by simply dragging and dropping. The USB 3 interface apparently gives fast data transfer speeds and I do find that I can move around large blocks of image files very quickly.

The fact that this very portable drive can take 1 terabyte of data seems amazing to me. Over the years storage has just got more and more, on smaller and smaller devices and at cheaper and cheaper cost. Seagate have a whole range of external drives that all seem to get good reviews. Back in April this one cost me £49.99. For an extra £25, I could have got 2 TB but I just can’t ever imagine using up all that space. The 500 GB drive is £42.11 so for me I felt the 1TB offered the best value.
~~~ Overall ~~~
I guess it takes a certain type who can get excited over the appearance of an external drive but I do think this one is rather good looking! With its black bevelled little squares, it does look the business. It’s very light, and its compact size means that I can easily pop it in my bag and take it with me when I’m on the move.

It’s one of those things that I didn’t know how much I needed it, until I got it. Now that I have, I wonder how on earth I managed without it! I thought I would primarily use it as a back-up but actually I use it regularly for transferring files. Occasionally I will use a memory stick if I want to move files about but having all my photos on the drive means that I can dip in and out having to pre-plan what images I think I might need.

This Seagate drive gets full marks from me – it’s easy to use, easy to transport and gives me peace of mind!

• Westy4 published 15/09/2017