Seeing Stars - Christina Jones

Seeing Stars - Christina Jones

Fiction - Modern Fiction - ISBN: 0753178567, 0749936215, 0749907444

Review of "Seeing Stars - Christina Jones"

published 24/05/2006 | Kazzay
Member since : 31/07/2003
Good
Pro Easy to read, light hearted and magical
Cons Not enough depth to the story
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"A little bit of magic goes a long way"

I have eagerly awaited reading Seeing Stars as it is the next installment in Christina Jones' series based around rural village life in Berkshire and its' strange inhabitants, laced with a little bit of magic and mystical forces.

And now I have it in my clutches and have read it in about 5 minutes flat! Well not quite that quickly as my speed reading's not quite what it used to be but it's a very easy read which you'll get through quickly and probably won't want to put down.

Based in the fictional village of Fiddlesticks, which is near Hazy Hassocks from Jones' previous book Hubble Bubble, we enter the scene with the arrival of Amber. She is a city girl from "Oop North" who has come to stay with an elderly friend who's putting her up for a while because her parents have moved to Spain. Amber loves all things expensive; clothes, make up, phones, glossy magazines, shopping and drinking and wonders how she'll cope in a little village. In fact she cannot even imagine what this village will be like or it's inhabitants or whether she'll find anything to do.

As it turns out there is plenty to do and needless to say love to be found if all runs smoothly or should I say by the luck of the stars. There is a healthy dose of star gazing in this book as village life revolves around the astral calendar. It's a complete change for Amber as the villagers hold festivals for the different celestial bodies throughout the year to promote love, health, good crops or rain and Amber is drawn into its crazy magic.

Past characters from Hubble Bubble, like Mitzi Blessing, pop up in this book too so you can see how their characters have developed since the last book. As Mitzi was a favourite of mine I was pleased to read more about her and see Amber interact with her too. The funny Banding sisters also make an almost celebrity appearance here as well. I think without the reappearance of them or the interweaving of Mitzi's culinary delights in the story it would be much duller and have little to link it to Hubble Bubble.

Jones recreates her theme (from Hubble Bubble) of finding yourself and becoming a more rounded person before you can find love, but it doesn't seem to work as well in this tale. Like the previous book it focuses on two main characters; Amber and Zillah. I found it hard to believe that Amber finds it so easy to settle into her new life considering her previous lifestyle and strange she doesn't make any attempt to continue with her old life. Whilst a nice character she doesn't have Mitzi's bolshiness, or sarcasm, she's basically a nice girl but boring. With Zillah it was all too predictable.

The story moves at a slow pace and it doesn't have the punchyness or quick wit that I enjoyed so much in Hubble Bubble. There's a bit of an unnecessarily drawn out build up at the start as to the identification of a certain character that I had long since guessed and I got bored of the wait. Similarly, as with many rom coms you can guess what the outcome of the story will be but still enjoy the trip along the way, but I felt in this book I was thinking more about hurrying up and getting there. It was a disappointing second in the series and seemed a bit rushed and less well thought out in parts. Although, I must admit there is something about it that eases you along and I wanted to get back to the book if I put it down. It's just that with such a great book to compare it with it was a bit of a let down. Perhaps if I had read this one first I would've liked it more and then been blown away by Hubble Bubble.

All of a sudden it reached its ending and I felt a bit surprised, although it had come to its logical conclusion, but I wished that it had carried on a bit. I wouldn't want to read about these characters again really. I think that they've run their course. I did however really enjoy all the magic and celestial themes and wish I lived in the village myself and could join in. It is an easy read and bit of light hearted fun at the end of the day.

A last interesting point is that Seeing Stars was originally going to be called Fiddlesticks after the fictional village it's set in. I rather like that name but apparently the guinea pig readers who tried it out didn't so Seeing Stars it became.

More information can be found about Christina Jones and her other books at http://www.christinajones.co.uk/

• ang_2906 published 18/08/2006
    Will look out for this - Ang.
  • Kayande published 11/07/2006
    Once again, a great review. I usually read Agatha Christie or Tom sharpe, but after this review I think I will give Christine Jones a go, but as you suggest I will read this one first, then the Hubble Bubble. Thanks again. x x
  • js2ht2andl published 23/06/2006
    From what you've written, it sounds like my kind of book. Must look up further info on the author. x