Sega Megadrive

Sega Megadrive

Home Console - Media Format: Cartridge - Controller Slots: 2 - Release Year: 1990

Review of "Sega Megadrive"

published 07/08/2001 | LMcShera
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Nice comfy big pad, looked very black, had some kick-ass games.
Cons Being an old console, sometimes took it upon itself to crash. And, with no save facility...
Graphics capability
Range of Extra Features (I.e. email)
Manufacturer Support
Instruction manual

"The Big Black Brick of Love"

Choosing Sega over the competitors was easy - this was their console golden age (days long gone unfortunately) - even a starry-eyed Sonic lover like myself could see, however, that the end was nigh - just by looking at some of those SNES games. And the following Saturn was a disappointment to most. But I'm here to discuss the Megadrive. So here goes.

~MY FAVOURITE SEGA MEGADRIVE GAMES~
Well where do I begin? Of course each and every Sonic The Hedgehog title was in my possession. And I loved them. But I had so much more! MY fave racing game was Super Hang-On (which was built into one of my Megadrives!), and my second favourite LotusII.
As for Beat-Em-Ups, nothing came close to Street Fighter II Champ. Edition - but a few came close...Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3 with their excellent music and cool special moves, and Final Fight took pride of place in my collection.
Sports games - I only had Davis Cup World Tennis (Which was great but not as good as the SNES's Super Tennis!) and Fifa 96 (Not good).
RPGs - Shining Force 1 and 2 took pride of place in my collection I loved those games and anyone who was or is a fan of that type of game (i.e. Final Fantasy 1-6) will like them too.

On the whole a fine, good-looking console with some excellent playable games. I've probably forgotten to mention countless others, but I'm sure people can fill in the gaps. As a guideline, at the time of writing this op, you shouldn't expect to pay more than £15 for console + pad +leads. That's about the price you'll find them at computer trading shops etc. Be forewarned also that you may have to look hard for your desired games (they don't seem to get around that much anymore). If you're looking for obscure stuff then be prepared to work hard at it! I tried to get some phantasy star games a while back and it drove me mad!

Don't forget that the later games on the Mega Drive were, on the whole, greatly superior to the early ones. Compare Sonic 1 with Sonic 3, for example. And also remember NEVER to buy a MegaCD add-on because the games were appalling. If you must update, get hold of the Sega 32x add-on so you can play Virtua Racing and other newer games.

So, for those of you who own the machine, sit back and feel happy that you have some gaming history at your immediate disposal. Those of you who don't own a Megadrive 2, if you're looking for a cheap & cheerful console with great games, you have arrived. Look no further.

• shlee_2k5 published 25/02/2006
    Ahh, the good old days, playing on the sega mega drive, everything was so simple, yet so fun! I can't believe i sold mine at a carboot sale after buying a playstation 1 :-(
  • VincentM-M published 03/09/2001
    Yes, this was quite possibly my favourite posession until i won a playstation. I've found somewhere just near me that sells the games second hand for 2 or 3 quid now, and i'm sure gonna get some before i leave for uni. good op. VMM
  • jennystevenson published 07/08/2001
    Heehee! I loved Streets of Rage 2, I lost count of how many times I've played it. An excellent op that bought back memories, cheers. Jenny :) Now where did I put that Atari...