Review of "Sekonda 3915 Men's Quartz Watch"

published 18/06/2013 | Nar2
Member since : 26/05/2011
Ty for all r/r/c's, kind words & E's where applicable & Ty for my Diamond. Finally got to Gold.
Pro Reasonable chunky macho design, light, easy to rely on, comfortable to wear, keeps time & date,
Cons Permanent luminous face won't appeal to all, date box could be bigger.
How comfortable is it to wear?
Range of Features
Look & Feel

"A "Glowing" Way To Tell The Time!"

Close up, the watch face is very clear including the classy Mercedes Benz emblem inspired round bezel on the hour hand.

A couple of months ago I received a thank you gift from a small little school that I had spent a lot of time in and putting in place a few improvements to the building and to the classrooms from my education expertise. I knew that the job was temporary and I knew that it would be difficult to leave the little primary because of the strong bond I had with the staff and the pupils. Throughout the time at the school, it was strongly noted that all I did was moan about my failing Timex and would eventually just carry a little pocket watch with me to make sure I could keep a track of time. I’m not late to classes or anything like that but I like to ensure that everything moves, quite literally by clockwork and my Timex and I were beginning to find each other at a bit of a compromise because of its difficulty to keep the time. I wasn’t expecting a huge thank you gift, so you can imagine my delight and surprise to find a Sekonda Gents watch, the 3915 being presented and a very big thank you card signed by all the staff and pupils – the Sekonda couldn’t come at a better time given the lack of reliability served by the previous Timex.

The Product, The Price & The Promise

Apart from Timex watches, I have purchased Sekonda watches in the past and pretty much the same kind of idea in terms of design that the 3915 has. At cost, the general RRP price that the British website arm of Sekonda suggests is £39-99 with a rather bright chrome presentation box but I have seen the watch on sale between £15 and £20. Amazon UK at the moment for example is selling the watch at £15 and makes far more sense at this price given the features you get. Though Argos don’t appear to sell this watch just yet, there have 29 Sekonda watches in-store, making them the highest brand with the greatest offerings suitable for many buyers on different budgets; clearly Sekonda are pretty reliable but of the ones I’ve owned in the past, they, too have been reliable and this watch comes with a 2 year guarantee as standard.

Design & Quality

Of the design, the watch has a 30metre “base” water proof resistance level but seems to have been engraved on the silver base plate of this watch rather than including it into the watch face like other brands.

The permanent luminous face backing and of quartz analogue design with a rather flattened but slightly raised glass round face shows the time most clearly. Compared to my old Timex watch, the glass isn’t as flush fitting but that’s not a big problem where I’m concerned as the clock face shows off proper numbers as opposed to a mix of roman numericals and standard numbers. In an instant, I get a good impression that the watch has been generally well made because everything on it, design wise appears to be bigger than before and the watch feels well made also. Certainly at base level, there is a chunky quality to this watch, if nothing else.

General Performance & Downsides

Being a man’s watch, the 3915 by Sekonda has a solid stainless steel round bezel with a permanent luminous watch face. At any time during the day or night, it is impossible not to tell the time from this watch because of it and I’ve had similar Sekonda watches in the past that had this dial. Though it has a slight “snot green” quality to it that also takes me back to the original “completely luminous” plastic Sekonda watch I had when I was a teenager, the idea of a constant luminous face will either be a design element you’ll love or loathe – but at least it is handy to have in poor or dark light without pushing a pin like the “Indiglo” feature offered up by Timex. Simple and effective then, the 3915 appeals to me straight away also highlighted by other design elements. I feel very honoured receiving this watch as a gift as I wouldn't normally have bought it, allowing this type of design to pass me by.

The small hand on Sekonda’s 3915 for example is accented by a somewhat reminiscent circle of a Mercedes Benz type design of the three prongs in a circle highlighted by a border of golden coloured metal perimeters that adorns each hand, both with luminous inner sections. Each hand seems to be victorian like in design which kind of goes against the more modern outlook of this watch. However, it is fairly easy to trust.

A date viewer with smaller black numbers is included on this watch which is always handy but they could be made a little larger as I often have to peer closely at the tiny little square and number display to check the date. The single pin at the side simply adjusts the time and date when pulled in two notches with a much better flush fitting element when the pin is not used. Such an elaborate design of each time and hour hand is quite surprising for this kind of watch, though it seems to copy Timex’s baseline Expedition watches here when taking into consideration the main view of this watch.

Whilst the main face has black numbers and small black dashes for the increments, the minute hand has a tiny little circle that imitates the smaller hour “hand.” Classy but quite bold, no wonder it has been classed as a man’s watch – a thick black canvas material band with a double buckle has been added here and you get 6 different lock holes on the strap that have individually been fastened with silver bezelled frames, possible to match the outer silver bezel with a permanently fixed 5 second border marked out in black numbers and 4, north, east, south and west fake screws.

The screws are an otherwise off putting design to what seems to be a chunky macho-inspired watch suitable for most weathers, despite the low 30 metre water resistance level. In time though I have realised that the fake screws do have a purpose, of adding a slight bumper design that protects the glass from being scratches – but I’d have liked round metal design free nodes here as opposed to fake screws.

When it comes to general use and wear, the Sekonda 3915 is simple, effective but also extremely comfortable and light to wear. Returning back to the idea of canvas nylon type straps from the smoother leather seems to give me greater comfort without abrasion to the skin. The black colour also highlights and offers a good contrast to the macho chunkiness of the stainless steel and slightly brushed silver quality of the main bezel too.

The strap here has a general 2cm width and a 0.9cm thickness and it can take a few more seconds than normal to lock the watch to my wrist because of the natural material push through the double buckles on the band – but I have noticed that I don’t require to fit this watch as tightly to my wrist like leather straps – giving my wrists a bit of a breather where the comfort and fit is concerned. Smooth, comfortable and quite flexible, it is a refreshing delight to return back to wearing a canvas strap that provides a smoother feeling to my skin. The only downside being that if the strap gets wet, you have a rather damp wrist strap on the skin until it dries out.

Final Thoughts

Of course it is always easy to discount a lot of design elements and usage from a watch that has been given as a gift, but I have had watches in the past as gifts that didn’t turn out to be good in general. The Sekonda 3915 has nothing to worry about here – simple to tell the time from its larger clock face and numbers, the stainless steel and luminous elements combine to make a rather suitable man’s watch without being too ostentatious and cheap looking.

Compass screws aside, though it could have a higher water resistance level rating for the price, the Sekonda 3915 Men’s Quartz watch is simple, good looking and effective. Above all though, it keeps the time and date – and compared to what I had before from Timex, the Sekonda on that score alone just does what it promises! Thanks for reading. ©Nar2 2013.

www.sekonda.co.uk

• RICHADA published 25/06/2013
    How nice it must be to be THAT much appreciated! R.
  • catsholiday published 19/06/2013
    What a lovely thank you - great review too
  • AnneLorraine1 published 19/06/2013
    What an excellent detailed review