Selene, Santorini

Selene, Santorini

Review of "Selene, Santorini"

published 17/09/2008 | Sunfleet
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Horrible Experiece"

This September 3 2008. we went to Santorini and per the recommendation of this review, we went to Selene. I had one of the worst dining experiences of my life. Although the place is quaint with many steps to get down to the El Greco style restaurant the meal was terrible. We ordered an appetizer of fila with a mixed fish including calamari and the calamari was so chewy. I ordered rock fish (Salmon)on bed of spinach at the price of $38 euros or estimate of $60 US per the menu. What I received was apparently fish per the waiter but had the consistency of boiled chicken on a bed of frozen spinach which was not even thawed. My fiance' tried it and said I should send it back, I said we were not in the US and he said at these prices you should say something so I did and the waiter did nothing. Our total meal ended at $205 US. Just a miserable night. In speaking to some other tourists and people in the hospitality business in Santorini apparently others have been complaining recently. I suggest the 1518 restaurant next door same type of prices but well worth the price.

• majeedkazi published 17/09/2008
    Hi, Welcome to Ciao....

Product Information : Selene, Santorini

The best restaurant on Santorini -- and one of the best in Greece -- Selene uses local produce to highlight what owners Evelyn and George Hatziyiannakis call the "creative nature of Greek cuisine." The appetizers, including a delicious sea urchin salad on artichokes and fluffy fava balls with caper sauce, are deservedly famous. Entrees include brodero (seafood stew). The baked mackerel with caper leaves and tomato wrapped in a crepe of fava beans will convert even the most dedicated flesh eaters. The local lamb, quail, rabbit, and beef are all excellent. If you eat only one meal on Santorini, eat it here, in a truly distinguished restaurant with distinctive local architecture. In short, everything -- location, ambience, view, service -- comes together to form the perfect setting (never pretentious or coy, unlike some trendy spots) for the delicious, inventive food. The selection of cheeses from across the Cyclades is impressive. If you want to learn to make some of Selene's selections yourself, check out Selene's cooking school at www.selene.gr.

Long Name: Selene