Sennheiser HD 201

Sennheiser HD 201

Review of "Sennheiser HD 201"

published 29/04/2011 | JeffFromPoole
Member since : 21/12/2005
Pro Great sound, great value, very comfortable to wear
Cons Slight sound leak
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

"Sennheiser HD201 Great bins for a great price."

I wanted a new set of headphones but as usual didn't have a lot of cash so I searched around for some decent but reasonably priced ones. Absolute Music in Poole had these on offer for £14 and I thought I'd give them a go. To be honest I wasn't fussy, I wanted them for the laptop to listen to Youtube videos and for my Virtual Guitar amp,
They come with the usual adapter for 1/4 inch sockets so they are great for MP3 players, the headphone jack on my guitar amp and the Virtual Amp, all I needed.

When I got them home and plugged them in I was blown away by the sound quality, they really do have a great range and any device I have played through them sounds great. I have even used them on my Bass amplifier with the Yamaha YB130 four string bass guitar. I half expected them to buzz and rattle at the lower range but they reproduced Low E faithfully without any signs of unwanted noise.

At the other extreme, solos played above the 12th fret of the Gibson Les Paul sound clean and they faithfully reproduce the sound of the amp or whatever device you are using to drive them.

They are simple in design, there are no controls to get crackly, no curly leads to get bitter and twisted. They are light, extremely comfortable and very well made. They are lightweight and that could be their only slight fault, if you have the volume up loud sound does leak slightly and possibly be a slight annoyance to others in the room.

As I mostly use them for my guitar which has string noise even when unplugged, this isn't really a problem.
They look quite cool without being showy. The design allows the ear cups to slide up and down to make a perfect fit over the ears.

They seem quite light in construction and I did have reservations about their durability. I needn't have worried, after over a year of regular use they work perfectly, there are no crackles from the lead and the ear cups haven't once come away.
If you are looking for a decent set of headphones, maybe to replace those nasty ear buds that come with Ipods and make that nasty hissing sounds that can be so irritating to people nearby then give these serious consideration. For the price they are a good buy.
They certainly sound better than my old Sony ones that I have had for years until the ear pieces started to break up and the volume slides got noisy.

I have seen them on offer from £12.50 to about £35 so it is well worth shopping around for the best deal, but that is more to do with finding a good retailer rather than the headphones themselves.

• brereton66 published 03/05/2011
    I always thought bins meant glasses. Nice review though.
  • jesi published 30/04/2011
    They look quite comfortable . . . &#9829 ~ Jesi ~ &#9829
  • greenierexyboy published 29/04/2011
    A decent pair of headphones is probably something I could do with, so duly noted.