Sennheiser PX200

Sennheiser PX200

Mini / Lightweight, Mini Headphones - Wired

Review of "Sennheiser PX200"

published 12/02/2005 | Miles13
Member since : 04/02/2004
Pro They sound better than supplied headphones
Cons The cost
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

" You are still using the headphones supplied, why?"

The Headphones in question

The Headphones in question

I don’t what it is but the manufactures of portable decks wither it be MP3, CD, DVD and handheld games systems the supplied “in-ear” headphones sound just awful and are quite painful to listen too, with that in mind SENNHEISER came up with a range of headphones to replace them.

The first of these models is an “in-ear” design, the model MX500 (r.r.p. £19.99) I found this particular design to uncomfortable to wear over long periods and the next ones in the range where more comfortable to wear over extended listening sessions and where very cool to look at with their retro looks with a supplied carrying box that looks like a sunglasses case but the PX100 (r.r.p. £24.99) design lacked the detailed sound with deep bass I was looking for.

The third model in the range is the PX200 (r.r.p. £29.99), these headphones look very similar to the PX100’s but this version is a “closed-back design” which means they sound a lot more dynamic and the wearer still gets a deep powerful BASS performance and people sitting next you in enclosed spaces don’t, which is always good because I don’t want too annoy my fellow passengers on public transport.

If folding design of these headphones puts you because you don’t think you will remember how to fold them back into the case don’t worry SENNHEISER have thought of that, they have put a 4 step diagram on 1 side of the carrying case to remind you how to get them back in the protective box.

The folding design is great idea you always have “phones” in your pocket at the ready, I use them myself when I DJ, their light reinforced construction with ergonomic ear pads make them perfect for this use.

For all you technical heads out there the data for this model of phones is as follows,

Frequency response 10 – 21,000 Hz.
Impedance 32 Ώ.
SPL (at 1 kHz, 1 Vrms): 115dB
THD: 0.1%.
Cable: 1.4mtr.

All the above information comes from the back of the blister – pack the headphones come in.

Before when I wore standard sized headphones while I was Djing the heat in venues such as pubs and hotels at the height of an evening festivities made my headphones very uncomfortable, full sized ear cups sticking to the side of your face and when you are taking your cans off and on all the time the weight of a standard headphone starts to annoy you, not only are the PX200’s more comfortable to wear over long periods in the heat of a venue they also sound better and in consequence my ears aren’t hurting at the end of the night, and you can still wear them going home in the van to chill out.

In closing I find these headphones very comfy to use and they sound superb no matter what I plug them in to, a real multi-purpose item, so if you enjoy your music on the move do yourself a favour invest in these babies.

The only problem is the cost, I paid £21.99 + postage and packing from a site on Ebay, but that was about a year ago so they are probably cheaper now happy searching and they have just released a white version to blend in with an ipod (r.r.p £37.00).

• n13roy published 28/08/2008
    Well, I'll let you know, when mine arrive sometime soon. Looking forward to trying them actually..........Roy......
  • inbetweendaysx published 11/06/2007
    Great review. Seems like you are an avid music lover like myself. I'll have to check these headphones out seeing as they are a reasonable price? Cheers x
  • stevogarvey published 15/04/2007
    Hey I've got to say well done on the review, I mean you made a simple set of heads phones sound fantastic. Good job!! I should take some advice from you lol.