Review of "Shandy Bass"

Cons None.
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Shandy Bass."

Normally being a drinker of something slightly stronger in the past, I came across Shandy Bass recently which according to the outside of the can is no than 0.5% volume in terms of alcohol content – which means that you can safely drink it in front of your tea total grandparents!

I must state what would appear to be a contradiction in terms however as on the side of the can, it does also state that it is a lemon flavour soft drink with 8% beer with sugar and sweetener – I am confused now, so won’t go there. But even though it has this supposed low content of alcohol in it, one assumes that it will still not be allowed to be bought by those people who are under age.

Coming in at 330 mls, it is made by Britvic and claims to be made with real Bass beer – not sure, as the ingredients list seems to say otherwise. I shall however be looking at that in due course, which will of course be of some interest to people no doubt.

The can as I have already said is a 330 ml can, and it is very easy to spot as it is blue all over. It is the usual sort of drinks can that can be recycled after use, and has a ring pull on the top of it. I bought it for the pricely sum of thirty English pennies in what now must be one of the most famous corner shops in this part of the world, but it will cost different prices depending on where you bought it. I admire the packaging style, as it is quite plain and simple – yet because of this, it does really stand out well from a lot of the others.

The ingredients list is as follows: carbonated water; beer (*); sugar; acids; flavouring; colour; antioxidant; preservative; sweetener.

(* denotes that it is actually made with malted barley).

I made the mistake of not really following the advice that has been printed on the side of the can, which is to drink it chilled – as I had left my first can sat out in the sun on my windowsill. And so therefore for my next two or three cans, I made sure that I left it in the fridge until the moment that I was about to drink it – which did actually in fact appear to work, as it did in fact taste a whole lot better than what it did on my first attempt.

Up until recently this was not really a drink that I had ever considered tasting, partly because I always had the impression that owing to its almost non-existent level of alcohol then what the point would be then I wasn’t really quite sure of it. However I am glad that I then went and took the plunge and gave it a go, as it is a really enjoyable drink. It is one of those drinks that is a really refreshing one, regardless of what the weather is doing.

And so therefore because of this, I really cannot recommend this particular drink enough to you. It takes a lot to impress me when it comes to items such as this, and so for something like this to be able to do so in such a short space of time must be a really good thing to have.

Thanks for reading!

• peteellis published 25/05/2013
    used to drink this as a kid and think i was bad***
  • watkins11 published 25/05/2013
    But only recommended when chilled! x
  • melinda3536 published 25/05/2013
    I'm quite fond of this, it is indeed very refreshing :)