She Flies Like A Bird - The Anthology - Honeybus

She Flies Like A Bird - The Anthology - Honeybus

2 CD(s) - '60s - Label: Castle Music - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 24/06/2002 - 5050159153329

Review of "She Flies Like A Bird - The Anthology - Honeybus"

published 25/04/2005 | psychelatte
Member since : 22/04/2005
Pro Excellent crystal clear recordings. inc B sides and rarities
Cons slightly twee perhaps, not for your average rock fan
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"I Can't Let Honeybus Go!!"

I picked up this CD because I was looking for an anthology of an obscure, underrated 60's group, and also because I was rather taken with the pretty cover!! I already knew the song 'I Can't Let Maggie Go' so I thought it was definitely worth a listen. I soon discovered that they had plenty more brilliant songs under
their sleeves, which, madly, have been virtually ignored by the record buying public. WHY????

Their sound is a blend of soft rock and 'Baroque Pop' -the latter being the most prominent, generally, as nearly every track on this anthology has a pronounced string arrangement along
with oboe.

It is difficult to say who they most remind me of -there is obviously a Beatles influence there, and I get a Buffalo Springfield vibe on the more rocky number 'the Breaking Up Scene.' Also elements of Clifford T Ward!!, of which I'll speak of a little later!!

From reading the inside notes, the lead singer and writer, Pete
Dello, left the band not long after their only hit record 'Maggie..' However listening to the songs recorded afterwards, it is clear he wasn't the only talented singer/songwriter in the band.

CD1 consists of all their singles output, plus an entire album entitled 'Story' which starts with the title track and finishes on the track 'Ceilings No.2.' There really isn't a duff track on the entire album. Strong melodies, thoughtful lyrics, beautiful
singing and harmonies. I feel there is something of a folky influence in their sound also, most notable maybe on 'He was Columbus' which sounds very similar in rhythm and melody to Simon & Garfunkel's 'America.'

Practically every song on CD1 is infused with great melodies and charm. The strongest songs I feel are 'Delighted to see You'(-a jolly, carefree tune complete with kazoo! which is not dissimilar to 'Little Lovely One' in sentiment on CD2.) Also 'She sold Blackpool Rock', Black Mourning Band', 'She Said Yes', 'Ceilings No.2' & 'For Where Have You Been.'

CD2 consists of some BBC sessions (recorded before and during the 'Maggie' period) and tracks from a reunion LP 'Recital', plus some rarities. Here you hear the original lead singer, Pete Dello, singing on most of these tracks. His voice is very gentle and pure sounding. It is interesting to discover that he was (according to the inside notes) a 'kindred spirit' to one Clifford T. Ward. Certainly his voice is much the same, and the sentiments in the songs, have a tenderness and warm-heartedness that is comparable. When I listen to the song 'Jug of Water' I immediately feel like playing C.T Ward's 'The Traveller' to complement it!

Although CD2 is not as strong as CD1, there are some good standout tracks, including 'Little Lovely One' which has a joyous 'Hello,hello, hello, hello, that's all i want to say, hello, my friend' chorus, a delicately beautiful track 'Be Thou By My Side', a more rocky number, 'Big Ship', and a couple of daft songs 'Like Me Like You Used to Do' & 'In The End Is My Beginning.'

All in all, a very pleasing collection of melodic,gentle,memorable songs from a band who refused to follow changing trends, and stuck to a sound they made their own. So if you like their hit record, and want more of the same, i say go for it!!

• morgjgriff published 02/07/2005
    "I Can't Let Maggie Go"! Now that brings back happy memories and I'm at the tender age of 30! lol I shall log into Amazon at once and must buy this album. Great review about a band I'd forgotten. Ciao for now - J
  • pinkmatchstick published 02/07/2005
    I like lots of late-60's stuff but I'd forgotten about this lot!
  • 7373 published 30/06/2005
    Looks like this'll be a DL or two. Nice R.