She-Ra - The Secret Of The Sword (DVD)

She-Ra - The Secret Of The Sword (DVD)

Review of "She-Ra - The Secret Of The Sword (DVD)"

published 24/03/2008 | ladyofsorrow
Member since : 07/03/2003
Pro Full film length, the truth revealed as well as a new plot & 5 extra episodes!
Cons Not sure if all regional versions have sub-titles available, check before you buy.
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Story behind the Strongest Woman in the Universe!"

Here we are in the midst of 80's and early 90's revival, and I for one am definitely a fan of the cartoons of those eras! I love many cartoons of today, but I can't deny the quality of storyline and drawing that was so common of cartoons at that time, akin to Dungeons and Dragons and Thundercats for example, coupled with the frequent quips and one-liners that He-Man and She-Ra always come up with and the moral at the end, which nowadays would be called corny. But cheese and Loo-Kee's pre 'Where's Wally?' slot aside, He-Man and She-Ra are classic and class act superheroes and it's a sore shame that the She-Ra series didn't see past a full second series, despite its popularity.

But for those with a reminiscent and perhaps sentimental need for a blast from the past, this is the story/running theme behind He-Man and She-Ra, the strongest man and woman in the universe. This feature length animated film was made in 1985, featuring following the original and very successful He-Man cartoon series which debuted in 1983, a series and merchandise line which created a huge demand for the franchise. This thirst for more was quenched with the arrival of She-Ra, the Princess of Power, or 'Muscle Maiden' to her enemies, with even more powers!

This particular regional version of the DVD was released in 2006 and has 2 discs; one with the film and one with 5 extra episodes. The actual feature film is approximately 86 minutes long but with the extra five episodes the running time is approx 260 minutes - talk about added value!

Without giving too much away in regards to plot line, the story shows the birth of the twins, the abduction of Adora by Hordak and the Evil Horde and then fast-forwards to adulthood where Adam is He-Man. It then shows Adam and Adora re-unite, after being surprised to find that each is seemingly fighting on different sides, let alone being sister and brother! Following this, Adora evolves with She-Ra, joins the Great Rebellion and starts to explore her new powers. However, being consistent with the cartoon series', the film also manages to juggle storylines and moral messages, so all of the above happens whilst being embroiled in one of Hordak's usually dastardly plans, as well meeting her family for the first time and being abducted again! Also, bear in mind that this is mainly about Adora hence the characters in the She-Ra series are the focus rather than those from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe but many are still featured and not just as cameos.

This is a great DVD for any fan of the series because it shows you the relationships between characters that hardly meet in the separate He-Man (and the Masters of the Universe) and She-Ra series'. For example, it highlights the relationship between Adora and the Evil Horde because of their control over her before becoming She-Ra, which might suggest that she was formerly evil but that could not be further from the truth. It also explains the former student-mentor relationship between Skeletor and Hordak. Speaking of which, the rivalry between both villains has always comic to watch and their communication in the film is no exception!

Personally speaking, I appreciate that the film features the original character voices as many films and adaptations use different voice actors, which can be unfamiliar and distracting from the story. I also like the way in which you can compare the similarities/differences between She-Ra and He-man side by side. E.g. He-Man has the Sword of Power and She-Ra has the Sword of Protection (with a dual function jewel/inter-dimensional communicator) and how He-Man states 'By the Power of Grayskull' but She-Ra says 'For the honour of Grayskull' as well as the differences in their transformation sequences. Also, for those who have seen Cartoon Network's revamp of He-Man, it's nice to hear Cringer/Battlecat speak again!

Since this is the feature length film, it features a theme song, which is slightly cringe worthy but sweet and telling because it details the meeting between Adam and Adora and the message of empowerment and caring that both series' and the film portray. Just for fun I have copied the lyrics below, but before you move on to those I'd just like to say that The Secret of the Sword was a pleasure to watch and informative, forming the perfect basis of understanding to then watch the bonus episodes on Disc 2. Not only is this great memorabilia, it is still a great film that I could play over and over again - hence a great addition to any DVD collection and a testament to its longevity. Enjoy!