She Wolf - Shakira

She Wolf - Shakira

1 CD(s) - Latin - Label: Epic - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services, Sony Music/Sony DADC - Released: 12/10/2009 - 886975914128

Review of "She Wolf - Shakira"

published 15/10/2009 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Pro Great mix of songs
Cons None
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"She's a Wolf!"

I recently saw Shakira performing huts from her new album, She Wolf on Later with Jools Holland and I liked them so much that it prompted me to buy the album. It cost £8.99 from HMV.

The cover features a very sassy looking Shakira adopting a kind of She Wolf pose on the front with messy/sexy hair and a very cute sparkly tank top.

Shakira is a singer songwriter from Colombia. Her full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll but professionally she just uses Shakira. She has been very successful in Latin America since the early 1990’s but it wasn’t until 2001 that she found worldwide success with her song "Whenever, Wherever"and then her English speaking album Laundry Service, which sold over thirteen million copies worldwide.

According to an article I read, she is the highest-selling Colombian artist of all time, and the second most successful female Latin singer having sold over 50 million albums worldwide, according to BMI. Additionally, she is the only artist from South America to reach the number-one spot on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, Canadian Hot 100, the Australian ARIA chart, and the UK Singles Chart.

Shakira has a very unique sound and voice. Her voice to me is almost husky, a very sexy voice but I think this has a lot to do with her accent as well which makes her voice a little bit lower on the register than others. A lot of her music has a folk kind of vibe and especially in this new album She Wolf which also has some unique sounds from around the world, such as Indian music. In the interview to ‘’Rolling Stones’’ she said: My music, I think, is a fusion of many different elements. And I'm always experimenting. So I try not to limit myself, or put myself in a category, or . . . be the architect of my own jail. I like that she’s different and I do think although you can definitely tell a Shakira song she does have a lot of different ranges which is great.

She Wolf was only just released but I have been listening to it pretty non stop since then. What I like about it is that there are so many different type songs. She Wolf is the first track on the album and she performed this on Jools Holland. It is quite a disco/dance song which is very upbeat and Shakira performed her very unique dance moves to this track, (think shaking hips, grinding, dance moves type dancing). She has also collaborated with Pharrell Williams on quite a few of the tracks. Pharrell is quite a well know hip-pop artist so a lot of her songs have this feel as well which is great because it’s definitely a different direction that Shakira is going in. The rest of the tracks are as follows:

1. "She Wolf"

2. "Did It Again"

3. "Long Time"
4. "Why Wait"
5. "Good Stuff"
6. "Men In This Town"
7. "Gypsy"
8. "Spy" (featuring Wyclef Jean)

9. "Mon Amour"
10. "Lo Hecho Está Hecho" ("Did It Again" Spanish version)
11. "Años Luz" ("Why Wait" Spanish version)
12. "Loba" ("She Wolf" Spanish version)

• TheHairyGodmother published 16/10/2009
    well reviewed
  • marcellep2 published 15/10/2009
    Performing huts? Hits I think lol - Good Review - Rob
  • nathaninnit published 15/10/2009
    Very little info on the album.