She Wolf - Shakira

1 CD(s) - Latin - Label: Epic - Distributor: Sony Music/Arvato Services, Sony Music/Sony DADC - Released: 12/10/2009 - 886975914128

Review of "She Wolf - Shakira"

published 13/11/2009 | Bouncebackability
Member since : 05/06/2005
Pro Great upbeat tracks with a spin on it
Cons some of the tracks sound a bit similar
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"There's a She Wolf in your closet....(she wolf-Shakira)"

She Wolf - Shakira

After eagerly awaiting the return of Shakira to our radio's she is finally back with her 3rd english album to date. Being Shakira's biggest fan (and that is true-she is probably the reason I study spanish) I naturally couldn't wait to get my hands on her new album, She Wolf, named after her 1st single from the album.
After buying the cd from Tesco's on my usual weekly shop, I couldn't wait to play it and see what she had to offer this time around-and it didn't dissapoint. After hearing (and loving) her latest release She Wolf, I suspected a slightly different sound in this album-and I was right. This album is very different to her first english album, Laundry service and her 2nd Oral Fixation 2. She has clearly changed musically, and while her 1st album is very emotional with some outstanding track such as (Whenever, wherever, Underneath your clothes & Objection (tango) this album is slightly more salsa-esque and slightly R&B helped along with her 2nd colaboration with the legendry Wyclef Jean on track 8, called Spy. Unfortunatly it's not quite Hips don't lie but it is worth a listen.
I will now review a few of the tracks individually.

"She wolf" is Shakira's first single to be released from this new album. I'm sure most of you have heard it but it's a upbeat number with Shakira howling like a wolf and a raunchy video. It's a great song to dance along to and has some good lyrics such as:
"I'm starting to feel just a little abused like a coffee machine in an office.
8/10

"Did it again" is her 2nd song from the album to be released (fairly soon) and will be performed on the X factor this weekend. It's a great song and before I found out it was being released I always thought it would be a great follow up to She Wolf as it is so much more than just an album track. I think this will do well in the charts and the video is great.
8/10

"Why wait" is another great song which could also be released. There is a samba-esque sound and her voice sounds powerful. I can imagine dancing along to this in a club. It definitely has a foreign/spanishy theme.
7/10

"Men in this town" is one of my favourite songs on the album, although I find it hard to choose seeing as I love every song. This is a bit slower than most tracks on the album, and Shakira's voice sounds a lot more emotive. After the first verse the beat kicks in and it speeds up a bit.
9/10

"Mon amour" is another one of my favourites (I think it's a toss up between Men in this town and this) It's a great tune, with typical Shakira lyrics (ivery clever and thought provoking) This song is about an ex who gets a new girlfriend and Shakira is bitter about it so hopes their "romantic" trip to Paris goes terribly wrong. This is the reason I love Shakira, many people think that she is just a pop singer as shown in Whenever, Wherever but she is so much more. After listening to her english album tracks and spanish songs I really appreciate how talented she is, both as a performer, writer and singer and I truly believe she is in a class of her own.
9/10

###################################################################
This is the whole album listing:

1. "She Wolf"
2. "Did It Again"
3. "Long Time"
4. "Why Wait"
5. "Good Stuff"
6. "Men In This Town"
7. "Gypsy"
8. "Spy" (featuring Wyclef Jean)
9. "Mon Amour"
10. "Loba" ("She Wolf" Spanish version)

So would I recommend this album? Quite simply YES. If you're a Shakira fan like myself ,you will love it or if you like slightly different music to that you hear everyday on the radio I would recommend it. Also to those of you who liked She Wolf, as many of the tracks are more similar to that than her previous singles which have a distinctly different sound.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is available from all music shops, and only £7.99 from cdwow.com.

Thanks for reading,
Claire
x X x

• Renza published 04/01/2010
    Good review. I have to say, She Wolf has the silliest video ever!
  • jesi published 15/11/2009