Shell Pluspoints

Shell Pluspoints

Review of "Shell Pluspoints"

published 21/08/2001 | gray
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Rewarded for essential purchases
Cons A bit mean

"Lower fuel economy - less airmiles to the gallon"

Having been a Shell Smart card user since its launch in 1994, I thought it would be worth considering how the new "Pluspoints" scheme compared in terms of what you got for your money.

In 1994, each £6 spent earned you 1 airmile. If you spent £11.99, you still got 1 airmile.

In 1998 the scheme was changed to reward you for each pound spent, but, quite fairly I thought, the exchange rate went down to 1 airmile for every £8 spent.

The Pluspoints scheme quite cleverly removes the direct link between poonds and miles. Now you receive 1 point for every litre of fuel purchased (so the sweeties and drinks that make petrol stations viable are no longer included). For every 1500 points, you receive 100 airmiles. If you consider that a litre of unleaded fuel is between 75 and 80p (for now!), each airmile costs between £11.25 and £12. In one stroke, the value of this scheme has been practically halved.

To put this in perspective, if you were to fill up at Sainsbury's and pay with your Sainsbury's Visa card, each airmile would cost £3.13.

I believe that it's good of Shell to reward their customers when buying something we would buy anyway, but it is a bit sad they have decided to be so miserly (because now I have to buy much more to get my free holiday!).

• Asif published 22/08/2001
    That was a good OP. I only use Shell if I have. I try to use Tesco's (especially during double point promotions). Otherwise BP for the Argos cash. Cheers, Asif
  • philmuss published 21/08/2001
    good op .most of the points schemes are a waste of time.I will just keep filling up at the cheapest station.

Product Information : Shell Pluspoints