mumsymary 5

mumsymary

About me: Blooming server , my connections keep fluctuating on one minute of the next, Apparently they are updating working on local lines ! I am find int difficult to read and rate fluidly , grrrrrrrrrrr

Member since:23.09.2002

Video reviews:1

come play with me

13.06.2004 (17.12.2006)

Advantages:
education but chuldren do not know it

Disadvantages:
maybe difficult to store

Age Group

Wear and Tear

36 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. 4leafclover
  2. solamarie
  3. tiger645
  1. MortiOli

Sand and water shell shaped pit from Argos.

Summer is here so I decided it was time my grandson was exposed to sand and water; I decided to buy him a shell shaped sand and water pit from Argos. I got mine from Argos for £11 in the sale I think they are about 15 pound out of sale price.

What I actually got for my money was two blue plastic shell shaped pits. These shells will fit inside each other. One side of each shell is straight and has a handle moulded into it ours hangs in the garage by that when the pit is not in use. The shells fit together by small pegs to look like an open seashell. Each shell measures 21cm deep 109cm by 94cm in width and length.
There is room for 2 small children to sit inside each shell

These shells are suitable to fill with either sand or water or any other sensory play items.

Adrian has not used his much yet as Sally is moving soon and we are keeping the shells at our house till the move. Adrian has an old washing up bowl for sand and water play in his own garden till then.
When Adrian visited us last week I put some water in the shell for him to play in. we did not sit him in it and use it as a pool we felt it was not warm enough.

I have now bought some play sand for Adrian to play with next time.

Adrian enjoyed splashing the water with his hands and a stick. He poured water from an old margarine tub, I gave him my flour sieve to watch water pour through he had an assortment of different old containers to play with.

Adrian had great fun playing with the water, but what he did not realise was that he was learning he was learning science, he was doing mathematics, his language was been developed. Also he is developing his fine motor control.

We also had some sand we put this in the other pit A young child will play for ages in a sand pit (as a child I just remember playing digging in the soil in the garden and making mud pies) so time for more education Adrian but it is fun he will never know I am trying to teach him.

Adrian's play is of yet an exploratory nature sifting and sieving the sand between his fingers. Using a spoon to spoon the sand into containers, being assisted to turn the containers upside down and watching the sand fall down (it was dry).
Then he was given some water to pour into the sand he saw how it changed the sand he felt the differences how it felt cold he was again assisted to fill a yoghurt pot (I have not purchased real sand toys yet) And making moulded shapes out of wet sand. He is learning the properties of sand .
Let me tell you of the values of sand play.
Sand can be played with both wet and dry. Sand behaves differently wet or dry. It will stick together when wet. Fall as individual grains when dry
Learning simple maths how the big yoghurt pot needed more sand to fill it than the smaller pot, counting spoonfuls of sand into the pots with me.

Language development, learning new words like sieve, gritty, grain

Sand play is fun lots of exploratory play a child can play on his own needing little supervision or input from adult.

Sand is an essential piece of play activity in a nursery setting. This shell pit should be good for home or nursery setting, for play in the garden.
I have talked mostly about sand play in this shell tray it can also be used for water play I shall talk about water play when I write an opp on the inflatable water pool we have at school.
When not in use fit the shells together and they will hang up on a hook in the garage or shed

Two pits both shell shaped. They arrived neatly fitted inside each other both had a handle so were fairly easy to carry.

Sand and water these are the great toys for your youngsters in the summer or any other time an essential in nursery or playgroup. Play Sand is also available from Argos. I have also seen it at the early learning centre. Play sand is best as builder's sand is darker courser sand, it stains clothes.
I expect Adrian will get many happy days playing with water and sand in his shell shaped pits. I did a lot of looking around at sand /water pits and found this one about the cheapest for a pit that would suit our needs
Enjoy playing with your children in a sand water pit this summer Mary

Pictures of Shell sand and water tray
Shell sand and water tray Picture 33921 tb
Half of Adrians shell tray

solamarie 17.12.2006 19:04

These are great for play of different sorts, the littles love sand, Sue

tiger645 24.07.2006 18:20

Great review! I love this shell it's so useful. x

MissTopaz 05.07.2004 22:44

this looks really good, i had a little square one, not as fun as a shell shape!