Review of "Sheryl Crow"

published 01/02/2005 | LtSticks
Member since : 09/11/2004
Pro Versatile quality
Cons Sometimes a bit corny

"Sheryl Crow: An example for young artists today?"

Whenever someone asks me what artists I feel are truly, something special, I'll usually have Sheryl Crow come to mind straightaway. And most people I think will say that she's nothing special, and I beg to differ.

No matter what people's taste in music is, I feel everyone appreciates a quality in lyrics. A prolific songwriter, Crow has turned out dozens of songs, from the catchy tunes, to the more heartfelt love songs. One song in particular I listened to a lot, during a bad breakup, and another reviewer mentioned it I believe, which was Come on Come on, a duet with the Corrs. It deviated a bit from the usual acoustic style of Sheryl, adding to her guitar ridden track with the characteristic violins of the Corrs. This song pinpointed her talent, to me. I believe the mark of a truly great singer is melding his/her quality with that of another, to make a masterpiece. This might sound a little stupid, but I felt that song was, truly an example of that. The lyrics, as always, hit home to those who know exactly what she means when she's singing "break my heart again, for old times' sake.."

Of course, I could list any song she's written and say its a masterpiece, take for instance Everyday is a Winding Road. This song got me through 1st year of university. My now flatmate and I were bored, stressed and in need of some fun. Enter the Best of Sheryl Crow. The song comes on, hilarity ensues in us singing the lyrics at a volume too terrible to imagine, at 3am in the morning. I guess the point Im trying to make is that the songs can give the opportunity to chill out, or share slow dances with lovers, or just sing along to at the top of your voice.

Versatile would be the word to describe Sheryl Crow. I feel she could be an example for other artists to follow. I dont see her stomping around acting like an idiot wherever she goes. Those arrogant manufactured idols might want to take a few leaves out of Ms Crow's book, to see what can make a singer really great.

• Soho_Black published 05/02/2005
    I do fi nd her work a little bland, but she does at least write her own songs and play an instrument, which so few of today's artists do. I hope a lot of them can learn from that, and be proper musicians, and not just puppets!
  • purplelynne published 01/02/2005
    She has a great voice. Lynne x
  • DBZKing published 01/02/2005
    Nice review, sounds good!

offers "Sheryl Crow"