Should we celebrate Halloween?

Should we celebrate Halloween?

Review of "Should we celebrate Halloween?"

published 29/10/2006 | donf18
Member since : 30/11/2000
Pro It's a bit of fun
Cons You get screwed by the kids for lots of dosh

"Boooooooooooooooooo"

Like many of our traditions Halloween has become so Americanised and Commercialised, I think I much preferred things when they were simple and people made the effort themselves rather than go to a shop and buy a costume or accessories. As I say I'm not in favour of all the Americanisms that are creeping into our British culture, but I suppose that since we are now a multi-racial society one must partake of some of those tiresome American ideas that seem to me to have no moral value and are just another reason for the retail industry to screw us for another few hard earned pounds.

All those strange and fascinating Pagan, Druid and other celebrations have been passed down for centuries and have no doubt lost in the process some of their authenticity, having said this there are some very inventive children out there who have in the last few years made some great efforts to scare both my wife and I on this spookiest of seasons. I really enjoy seeing children enjoying themselves and having oodles of fun and at this time of year when the summer has past and winter winds her weary way to our doorsteps perhaps the answer should be YES. YES because we all need to have a laugh now and then children need to exercise their imagination although in most cases it seems that it is the parents who have put in the most effort.

When I was participating in my younger days the rewards for such devilry were small tokens of appreciation such as nuts and fruit and sometimes small packets of sweets, money was very rarely exchanged and we all seemed to have a good laugh and the odd scary moment. These days the primary reason for the kids to partake is to earn a few bob and I suppose in this day and age that's the norm, but it does kind of distract from what Halloween is all about.

Last year I decided to get my own back so I bought a few of those make-up packs you know the £1 face paints and the like and spooked myself up. I put all the lights out and waited patiently for my first victim. My face was pure white with streams of fake blood dripping from the side of my mouth, my eyelashes were one inch long with spiders hanging eerily from them. To add to the effect I shone a torch upward toward my face from my chin which cast delish shadows across my already scary mush. A few doors along my neighbours son had left the house dressed as a ghost with a little pot to collect his goodies, he was obviously unaware of my intentions and as I watched him slowly walk along the path I felt kind of guilty, but decided to continue with the prank. As he was about to knock on my door I sharply opened it and spookily shouted " What do you want " . It was I this point I realised I had been perhaps a little to realistic in my efforts since the poor little guy almost **** himself and burst into tears. Boy did I feel guilty. I quickly got rid of the make up and caught up with the frightened little chap with some sweets and stuff to make up for my indiscretion. His mother and I had a laugh and after a short time so did he, he said that I had really scared him and that he wasn't going out anymore. A few kind words and a shot of my makeup and he was on his way happy as Larry.

I am really in two minds on whether on not we should still celebrate Halloween I kind of feel that if we cancel Halloween then we have to seriously think about cancelling Christmas as well, so I'm going to say YES lets keep celebrating it but lets just lets the kids do the scaring in future.

• pennywa published 16/02/2008
    Well, I LOVE Hallowee'n (bet yo knew I'd say that, didn't you) - we have pumpkin soup, made by mum, and buy tons of junk for the kids ho come round, dad wears his mad 'bald head' wig thing, and when he answers the doors he scares off all the kids!!
  • Billieuk published 01/12/2006
    I wouldn't go as far as calling it extortion, the vast of majority of people just have gentle fun, kids just enjoying a magical night. There's only a minority who would actually egg your house. However, we always answer the door so I wouldn't know! It sounds like the poor kid had a real fright - funny though! hx
  • jackyann53 published 03/11/2006
    Good review! Poor child, I could just picture the scene! I quite like the idea of the spider hanging from your eyelashes - very inventive! Jacky x

Product Information : Should we celebrate Halloween?

Listed on Ciao since: 23/10/2006