Review of "Siem Reap (Cambodia)"

published 08/01/2007 | Janeg888
Member since : 20/04/2005
Pro Stunning amazing place
Cons Time and distance to get there
Sightseeing
Shopping
Nightlife
Ease of getting around

"Siem Reap"

We visited Cambodia in 2003 along with Thailand and Vietnam. It has to be my most favourite place I have ever visted (which is now quite an extensive list)

The people are incredibly friendly, tourism is still in its infancy so whilst you have to be aware of the dangers and cons towards tourists by the far the majority of the people are just pleased you are visiting their country.

Cambodia has the highest level of disabilty per head of population than any other country in the world and when I returned I called myself the new Princess Diana in an attempt to raise swareness of the landmine issue. This is the reason so many people are minus one or more limbs.

We stayed in a rather grand hotel, The grand D'angkor part of the Raffles group. I would recommend staying in the best hotel you can afford as you need to take time to recuperate in your room from the heat and the walking of Angkor.

Angkor itself is truly amazing and it would be impossible to take in all the sights in a few days but all good guides will ensure you find the best.

We flew from Ho Chi Min to Siem reap which was quite an adventure the plane had thirteen passengers on board. 11 korean tourists and my husband and I. Siem reap airport had the lowest level of security of any airport I have travelled from (perhaps this was also more apparnet as we had flown from Vietnam where they take things very seriously!)

Anyone considering going to cambodia go now, don't hesitate it really is wonderful.

• Bollinger28 published 08/01/2007
    Vietnam and Cambodia are on my list of places to go before I die. Lexy
  • helencbradshaw published 08/01/2007
    whoops, should read my sister went a few years ago.....
  • helencbradshaw published 08/01/2007
    my sister went a few books and I saw the pictures, very shocking. I also read a few biographies of young people caught up in the problems of the 1970s, I wept at one book in particular, it was so dreadful.

Product Information : Siem Reap (Cambodia)

Listed on Ciao since: 13/02/2001