Siempre - Divo (Il)

Siempre - Divo (Il)

Pop Vocal - StudioRecording - 1 CD(s) - Label: BMG - Distributor: AMD/Universal Music - Released: 27/11/2006 - 886970155229

Review of "Siempre - Divo (Il)"

published 17/10/2014 | xd-o-n-z-x
Member since : 13/02/2014
After almost a year off, I'm back!! Looking forward to reading all of your reviews - thank you for all the rates - very much appreciated!! :)
Pro music, voices, songs,
Cons none
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"~ * Blew Me Away!! * ~"

Yesterday, I sorted out my CD collection (something I haven’t done for some time and as I had CD in the wrong cases, I decided it was time I sorted them all out.) That’s when I came across this CD which I had actually forgotten I had. The CD in question is called Siempre, and is an album by classical boy band Il Divo. I remember asking for this CD for Christmas a few years back, after I heard their version of Mariah Carey’s ‘Without You’ which I absolutely loved. This album was actually released back in 2006 and so has been around a fair few years now. I remember I was about fifteen at the time, when I received this album for Christmas after requesting it. I remember listening to it a few times and deciding whilst it was ‘nice music’ , it was really ‘my thing’ and I don’t think I have listened to it since then. I’d actually forgotten what the songs were like and so decided to give this album another go and, perhaps now that I am few years older, I am more mature and so can appreciate good music better. This CD is currently available to buy from Amazon for a price of £2.65 which I think is excellent value for money.

For those of you who don’t know, Il Divo are a four-piece opera pop band consisting of French opera singer, Sebastien Izambard, Spanish baritone Carlon Marin, American tenor David Miller and Swiss tenor Urs Buhler. The group are an operatic-pop band and were put together by X Factor boss Simon Cowell. They sing in the following languages: English, Spanish, Italian, French and Latin. They first burst onto the music scene back in 2004 with their self-titled album ‘Il Divo. To date, the group have released six albums and have sold over twenty six million records worldwide. So I guess that you could say that they are a super band. Siempre (meaning ‘always’ in Spanish) is the third album from the band. It did exceptionally well in the British album charts, reaching number one and going platinum four times.

~ * Track Listing * ~

1) Nights In White Satin (Notte Di Luce) 2) Caruso 3) Without You (Desde El Dia Que Te Fuiste) 4) Come Primavera 5) Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman (Un Regalo Que Te Dio La Vida) 6) La Vida Sin Amor 7) Una Noche 8) You Raise Me Up (Por Ti Sere) 9) Tell That To My Heart (Amor Venme A Buscar) 10) Musica 11) Somewhere

~ * Nights In White Satin (Notte Di Luce) *~

It’s been a while since I listened to this album and so when the opening piano notes began on this track, I thought it was Christina Aguilera’s song ‘Hurt’. The song starts off very gently. I love the fact that even though the song is in another language; it’s full of emotion. Even though I don’t understand what the song is about through the lyrics, the emotions these singers put it into the song is just spine-tingingly beautiful; I may not understand the lyrics but I can certainly feel the heartache and emotions. Obviously they are professional singers, and they sound amazing on this track; I like how the song starts off as being quite gentle but then turns really powerful as the song goes on. It’s such a beautiful song and one of my favourite tracks on the album.

~ * Caruso * ~

Whilst I remember this song as being an ‘old song’, I was first introduced to this song properly when Paul Potts sang it when he was on Britain’s Got Talent. I remember really liking the song back then and used to try and sing along but would get fed up as I didn’t know the words. I thought that Paul Potts did a good version, although I have to say that Il Divo’s version is just amazing; I think their version works better as it is quite a powerful song, so it works better with more voices rather than just the one. The harmonies on this track make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It’s such a beautiful and emotional song. Another brilliant song which I really like.

~ * Without You (Desde El Dia Que Te Fuiste) * ~

Everyone knows this song, although it’s most likely that they know it because of Mariah Carey’s famous version. I love her version, although this version is just ‘something else’. I actually think that this song works better as a classical song rather than a pop song and with a male voice rather than a female song. It’’s quite a gentle song to it, and their vocals are really soothing and calming; it’s the perfect song to listen to whilst relaxing. Again, it’s full of emotion and the singers really put their all into this, bringing this song alive and making it really emotional to listen to. Again, like all of their previous songs on this album so far, the song starts off as being really gentle and then turns really powerful as it goes on. Again, the harmonies on this track are just spot on. I like this song, I do think that the ending does go ‘round and round’ just a bit, and whilst it’s dramatic to some extent with the powerful voices, it’s not as dramatic as Mariah Carey’s ending of the song. Still an amazing song.

~ * Come Primavera * ~

As soon as I heard this song, I thought ‘oh my god, I know this!’, but I couldn’t think for the life of me what it was. Another beautiful song. Again, like the other songs on here, apart from ‘Without You’ (obviously!), this song is in another language, and even though I have know idea what the lyrics are about, I can ‘feel’ the song through their heartfelt emotions. I can easily ‘feel’ what this song is about. I can’t really hear it properly, but I am sure I can hear a harp being played in the background of this song; it’s so beautiful. There is something about this song which reminds me of Christmas. I really like this one; and again it’s sang very beautifully.

~ * Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman (Un Regalo Que Te Dio La Vida) * ~

Interestingly, this is actually a song by Bryan Adams (one I wasn’t aware of). I love the sound of the guitar and the Spanish sound. I could imagine strolling along a Spanish beach with a Cornetta ice cream; this song really minds me of holidays. This is a nice easy-listening song, although it’s not really a ‘stand out’ track for me; it’s still a nice song though, just not as ‘wow’ as some of the other songs on here.

~ * La Vida Sin Amor * ~

The album gets going and speeds up just a little bit with this song. Like the previous track, I love the Spanish sound this album has; it’s like something Enrique Iglesais would sing. The backing track is a bit more poppy and upbeat with a slightly funky beat, although the vocals still remain in the classical style, which I love; I love how they blend pop music with classical. It’s a really romantic song which again, is really easy to listen to. It’s also really emotional and despite it being an upbeat song, I can really ‘feel’ the emotions in this song. I really like this song; it’s one of my favourites on here and I think it’s interesting to hear them sing something a bit more up-tempo. I could imagine doing a bit of salsa dancing to this song!

~ * Una Noche * ~

Il Divo continue the Spanish theme with this easy-listening, relaxing song. Like ‘Come Primavera’ this song also reminds me of Christmas for some reason. The harmonies are spot on and I love how their voices blend so well together. Another beautiful song with heartfelt emotions, combined with their powerful voices, really bring this song alive. Again, this song follows the same format as the other songs; starting off gently and then breaking out into a ‘blow you away’ final chorus.

~ * You Raise Me Up (Por Ti Sere) * ~

Well, I like Westlife, but Il Divo’s version is so much better. I feel that this song works better as a classical song rather than a pop song; I think it’s far to ‘gentle and tame’ for a pop song, but works perfectly as a classical song as is it turns out to be quite a dramatic song in this style of music. I have a love/hate relationship with this song – well I guess it’s mainly the Westlife version – sometimes I like it and want to listen to it, other times I think ‘oh skip this one’. However, when I heard Il Divo’s version, I was blown away as I think that this song is so beautiful when performed properly (sorry Westlife!). I think Il Divo’s version is how this song should be; amazing, faultless vocals once again.

~ * Tell That To My Heart (Amor Venme A Buscar)

I thought that this song was going to be quite boring when I first heard it, although once it gets going, it actually turns out to be quite an emotional song. Again, I can’t understand the lyrics but I can ‘feel’ that this is a sad song. I’m guessing this is about wanting an ex-lover back (I don’t know, but that’s the impression I get from the ‘emotions’ in this song). Wonderful harmonies again on this track. I also love the sound of the harp on this track; it compliments the song beautifully.

~ * Musica * ~

This is well know song ‘Music’, you know the one that starts as ‘Music was my first love and it will be last’ which I know as a Michael Ball song. I like that this song is in...I’m guessing it’s Italian’ as it makes the song sound more romantic and not as cheesy as it does in English. The vocals are smooth and legato. Another nice easy-listening song.

~ * Somewhere * ~

This is the famous ‘Somewhere’ that you usually hear in musicals. This song is in English. This is another song, like ‘You Raise Me Up’ that I have a love/hate relationship in. It depends what mood I am in when I listen to it. Although, this version is just beautiful and I think is a wonderful end to the album.

~ * So What Did I Think? * ~

I am a huge music fan and whilst I tend to stick to the music that’s in the charts most of the time, I do like ‘proper music’ and that’s what I consider this album to be. It’s all natural with the instruments on the tracks consisting of either a piano, harp or guitar and the vocals are ‘real’ and ‘natural’. It’s refreshing to hear an album that hasn’t been electronically altered and neither is there any use of auto-tune which is something I hate. Obviously, you can tell that this album has had some ‘added touches’ as it really is perfect – although it’s also very real ‘sounding’ and there is nothing ‘fake’ sounding about it like a lot of the albums you get these days (mainly pop ones).

Wow! That’s all I can say....! What an amazing album! I am really impressed. I know I was a teenager when I received this CD, but I really cannot believe that I didn’t pay this album more attention as I think that it is a wonderful album. I could listen to this album all day long every day; it’s just the kind of album that you don’t get fed up with. It’s just perfect.

The album is probably the most relaxing CD I have ever listened to. I could easily just sit there and listen to it without doing anything else. The music is relaxing and the vocals are soothing and calming. It’s the perfect album to listen to after a stressful day at work as it is the kind of album which makes you completely chill out. I have found that it’s a fantastic album to listen to in the evening, just before bed as it so relaxing that it makes me really sleepy. Whilst being a great album to chill out to, I also think that it is an ideal CD to have on in the background when you have friends over for a dinner party as it is very classical.

All of the songs on this album are cover of well known songs. It’s nice to hear famous pop songs arranged in a classical style; I actually prefer the classical versions of some of the pop songs on here such as ‘Without You’ and ‘You Raise Me Up’ as I think that the classical arrangements are so beautiful and their heart-felt emotions, spine-tingling harmonies and powerful voices really bring these songs alive and help the songs reach their full potentials. There are some amazing songs on here; I particularly love ‘Nights In White Satin’, Caruso’, 'Come Primavera' and 'La Vida Sin Amor'. Despite the songs on here being cover versions, they have really made them their own and I think that these are the best versions I have heard of these famous songs. So well done Il Divo!!

The songs are a bit predictable in terms of following the same pattern of starting off gently and then bursting towards the end – although that’s what they do best. Also, the fact that the songs follow the same format meant as I was listening to it, I kept looking forward to the ‘big bits’ at the end of each song. Their endings are dramatic and powerful and just make me go ‘wow’; their songs really take my breath away when I listen to them as they are so beautiful and emotional. This album really blew me away; it’s so moving.

I enjoyed hearing the songs in different languages; as I mentioned earlier, even though I cannot understand the lyrics in these songs, as I don’t speak Italian, Spanish or Latin, I ‘get’ the emotions in the songs as the singers put so much emotion into the songs that I might not be able to understand the lyrics, but I can certainly ‘feel’ the emotions; This is such an emotional album to listen to; it brings me close to tears listening to it. Whilst I like the fact that this album features a lot of ‘different lanuage other than English songs’, it would have been nice if there had been a couple more of English songs, rather than only one or two, just so that listeners can know what the songs are about. Although, I loved the different languages as I think that they sound really romantic so this is definitely not a criticism. Ooh also, for those of you interested, the album does come with a little booklet containing the lyrics.

There have been a few ‘opera’ style quartets about in the last few years, although I have to say, none of them come close to this group. Their vocals are just breath-taking to listen to and make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. You can tell that they have spent time crafting and perfecting this album as it is just perfect; I cannot find any faults at all. Their vocals are amazing; each of the four men have been either classically or opera trained; and they fantastic at what they do. Their harmonies are spot on and their voices go so well together. I am extremely impressed. They are definitely in a league of their own. This is the first album of Il Divo’s that I have owned and all I can say is; I can’t wait to hear more of their albums, and hope that they will continue to release more albums in the perfect. Since hearing this album, they have become my favourite classical band.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this album; it’s so beautiful.

Thanks for reading!
October 2014
xd-o-n-z-x

• rolandrat123 published 18/10/2014
    thorough
  • ryeb published 18/10/2014
    You have made this sound well worth listening to.
  • euphie published 18/10/2014
    I owe you an e....

offers "Siempre - Divo (Il)"