Silverline Heavy Duty Scraper

Silverline Heavy Duty Scraper

Heavy duty scraper with razor sharp 100mm blade. Tubular steel shaft & rubber grip.

Review of "Silverline Heavy Duty Scraper"

published 10/04/2012 | j9j8j7
Member since : 08/12/2010
Taking a break from reviewing for a while (the 'update' on the other side just pushed me over the edge). I will check back to return rates every now and then.
Pro inexpensive, works well
Cons grip does not last long
Performance

"Goodbye woodchip"

Motivation

Last summer my husband and I bought our first home, a 1930’s build which needed (and still needs) a great deal of work. We simply don’t have the money to pay professionals for everything so we do as much as we can DIY fashion.

When we moved in, the entire house except the kitchen and bathroom was covered in that awful wood chip wallpaper. It was peeling in places, extremely dirty, and nearly an entire wall in the lounge was bare plaster so we had no choice but to make stripping the wallpaper one of our first priorities (not that I would have left it in any case). As you can imagine, there were layers of paint on top of the paper so this was not going to be an easy job for your standard paint/wallpaper scraper. We decided to get the Silverline Heavy Duty Scraper because it was the most robust looking scraper we saw at Wickes.

The Basics

The Silverline CB35 Heavy Duty Scraper has a long handle measuring about 25cm (30cm in length if you include the head and blade). The scraping blade is 10cm long, angled and quite sharp (not sharp enough to cut but not as blunt as most other scrapers). The handle and blade are both steel with a black rubber grip on the end of the handle. It is comfortable to hold and reasonably well balanced.
My Experience

Stripping large amounts of wood chip wallpaper covered with layer after layer of paint was never going to be easy, but this scraper made it more doable. Over the course of a week or so I removed the paper in the 2 largest rooms of our house, the lounge and the master bedroom. This scraper did and admirable job despite the fact it soon became evident that when the electrics and windows had been updated over the years the patching plaster was poor quality and often bubbled or peeled away as I removed the wallpaper. So in addition to wallpaper and paint, I used the scraper to remove quite a lot of loose plaster so when we had the rooms replastered there would be a good surface for it to go on.

As much as I like this stripper, it wasn’t perfect. The angled blade made it hard to use in some tight areas so I preferred to use a more standard shaped scraper in those places. Also, by the time I finished the second large room, the rubber grip had slid up the handle and started to crack. After finishing that room we took a break from stripping wallpaper over the winter because my husband and I were very busy with work and we needed to save up some money because after stripping each room it needed to be replastered before we could do anything else. We only recently started stripping paper again. The cracking grip made the scraper much less comfortable to hold. I soon removed it altogether. In addition, the blade needs replacing. In truth, it is time to put this scraper to rest and buy a new one.
Cost and Availability

We bought ours at Wickes where it is currently selling for £4.89, but you can get one online for slightly cheaper. It is listed on Amazon for £4.12 (free shipping). You can also buy replacement blades, but since the grip didn’t last nearly as long as the blade I doubt you’d need to get new blades before the whole thing needs replacing.
Conclusion

I was only going to give this scraper 3 stars until I remembered how little we paid for it. It did a very good job for under a fiver, and I am happy to grant it 4 stars. However, since I still have rather a lot of paper to remove, I have decided to spend a little more money on its replacement and get a Stanley one.

• Dentolux published 19/11/2012
    Sounds okay for an inexpensive scraper. Shame the handle isn't very durable.
  • carcraig published 17/04/2012
    I don't envy you with all that woodchip removal!
  • Jake_Speed published 12/04/2012