Silverline Switched Extension Lead

Silverline Switched Extension Lead

Review of "Silverline Switched Extension Lead"

published 17/04/2016 | ryeb
Member since : 02/06/2011
Thanks for all the reads and rates, they are all appreciated x
Pro Slimline
Cons Power light failed very fast, switches incredibly stiff, sockets ditto
Reliability
Ease of Use

"A powerful tale of disappointment"

Silverline Switched Extension Lead. All the switches I ever need.

Silverline Switched Extension Lead. All the switches I ever need.

Whenever I stay with my parents in their new home, I feel the lack of power sockets they have, in the bedrooms in particular. This doesn't bother them in the slightest as they rarely use the limited number they have, but with just the one in my guest room, things can get tricky if I want to have a lamp on and a phone power bank charging. So I bought an extension lead to use when I stay. I never thought I would end up reviewing the b@*! thing but after just rejecting my third, I vowed to help others steer clear of a time wasting purchase.

I thought it would be simple, I would just pick the length of extension lead I needed - 2m would be ample, how many sockets it would give me and whether I wanted to pay for surge protection or not. I decided against the latter as I was only going to plug in low value devices and not my laptop. So I bought the Silverline brand 2m 4 socket 13amp extension lead ( product code 341156) for £6.99 in a local hardware store. Amazon sell it for £6.53. What attracted me to this one was every socket had it's own power switch and neon on indicator light, which I thought was safer as well as useful as it would be obvious if I had left any socket on. I had heard of Silverline and the lead was stamped with the relevant BS safety marks so I felt confident. Silly me.

THE GOOD POINT

Yes, the good features number just the one. It is as slender as I can imagine it is practical to be and so takes up little room. There are no screw holes on the back for wall mounting but I never intended to do that. The sockets run in a line so its long and thin not one of the round ones or a block.

THE FIRST PROBLEM

Each socket is very stiff to get any plug in or out of. I was not bothered by this at first as I remember that when my boyfriend and I had our kitchen fitted, the new wall sockets felt similarly stiff at first. But our first lead was so bad that I felt concerned I was going to damage a plug, such was the force I needed to extract the thing. My mum who has arthritis found it impossible to remove a plug from the socket at all. Plugging anything in was also hard and various devices were tried out but they all went in in stages. I feel this is dangerous as it is easy to feel the plug has gone all the way into the socket but a visual check reveals some of the pins are exposed. I returned the socket to the place I bought it from and the staff agreed it was not usable. They tried another for me and found that while still stiff, it was at least manageable. As they had no other leads in stock, I took the replacement bringing me to...

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO

So now I could plug things in and get the plugs out again. But I found the switches which turn the individual sockets on and off were still very stiff. On the plus side it would be hard to accidentally switch any one of them off and on but I wonder what frequent forceful pressing will do to the switches life expectancy. In the end that was not an issue due to ..

PROBLEM NUMBER THREE

After one weeks use, one of the lights indicating whether a particular socket was off or on failed. This was for the socket I had actually used the least, probably just twice. It came on orange as usual but an hour latter I happened to notice it was not on and I thought someone had accidentally turned my power bank, which was charging, off. But the switch position showed the socket was still live, and indeed so did the power indicator on the power bank. The light alone had failed, the socket itself was fine. I returned it to the shop for a refund the following day.

LEAD NUMBER THREE

My dear other half, knowing I had had trouble, bought me an extension lead from Amazon. Somehow I had not told him the brand of my less than perfect lead so I can't blame him for the horror I felt when I realised he had bought the exact same model! Out of curiosity, we plugged something into every socket to see if it worked and this extension lead number three was just as difficult to get anything in and out of and yes, the switches were so stiff that I could not force one down. He was refunded and we certainly hope never to see a number 4!

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS?

Not at all. It is hard to use in more ways than something so simple should be. I found that my dad has a longer Silverline Extension lead in his shed that he has had for years and years so they obviously do make good quality products too but the 2m 4 socket extension lead is not one of them. Not recommended.

• armor567 published 16/09/2016