Simple Facial Cleansing Wipes

Simple Facial Cleansing Wipes

Cleansing Cloth - Wipes

Review of "Simple Facial Cleansing Wipes"

published 24/02/2014 | Brownie_Queen
Member since : 07/06/2010
Mum to two 'lovely' kids (age 7 and 4), love shopping, baking, beauty products and books. Also on Dooyoo as KLockwood75. Thanks for all the rates x
Pro Cleansing, refreshing, usually on special offer
Cons Don't remove waterproof mascara, not really moisturising
Price
Length of Use
Use Many of the Products?

"Facial Cleansing Made Simple"

Facial wipes are something that I buy for convenience, mainly for the evenings where I can’t be bothered to remove my make-up properly (i.e. virtually every evening being inherently lazy when it comes to my evening skin-care regime). I don’t have a particular loyalty to any one brand of wipes, tending to buy whatever is on special offer when I am close to running out. However, these Simple Facial Cleansing Wipes are one of the brands that I seem to buy most often.

A bit about the wipes

Facial cleansing wipes are basically just like baby wipes, but designed for a more grown-up market. The ‘Simple Facial Cleansing Wipes’ come in a pale green, square plastic pack, with a white plastic label which peels back to reveal the hole where you pull the wipes through. There is nothing particularly exciting or innovative about their packaging - it gives the impression of a fresh, clean product (purely because that particular shade of green invokes a spring-like, fresh image in my mind) - but there isn’t really much more to say about it. The wipes themselves are a slightly textured white cloth, with a good amount of moisture. They are not quite as ‘wet’ as some other brands of wipes that I have tried, but there is sufficient moisture to clean / refresh your face without using more than one wipe. Like most Simple products, they are designed to do their job without causing any irritation to the skin - they are alcohol and oil-free and do not contain any artificial perfume, colour or harsh chemicals.
Performance Analysis

To me, wipes are just wipes… these are relatively good ones, but they don’t do that much more than a baby wipe would, or anything particularly different from other brands. They do make my face feel cleaner and refreshed after use, although I would dispute their claim that they are also moisturising. There is, perhaps, a temporary moisture boost after using these but that is only because they are full of moisture - there is certainly no long-term moisturising effect as my skin tends to feel dry again within a few minutes of using these wipes. It is the convenience of the wipes which is the major positive point for me - they are perfect when you are busy (or lazy) for cleansing your face and getting on with your life. As a Mum, I also like the fact that they are suitable for sensitive skins - my four year old has had a bit of an obsession with wipes for a couple of years now (thankfully we are past the stage where there were baby wipes everywhere) - and, if she does use these, I feel confident that they are not going to damage her skin. The more sensitive nature of these wipes is also good for cleaning the area around the eyes, as they don’t cause stinging or irritation.

There are a few claims on the packaging which are worthy of examination. Firstly, they claim to contain multi-vitamins - closer inspection of the packaging reveals that there are just two vitamins (Pro-Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E) in these wipes. OK, so two is ‘technically’ a multi-vitamin, but it is a slightly extravagant claim in my opinion. However, if you are following up with a decent moisturiser, as I do, then you don’t really need vitamins in your wipes anyway, so it is not a big issue. The second claim that I have a bit of an issue with is that they claim to remove waterproof mascara. I am currently wearing Benefit’s Bag Gal lash in its waterproof incarnation and these wipes are not particularly effective at removing it. They do remove ‘some’ mascara (I can see the black smudges clearly on the wipes) but they don’t come close to removing all of it. However, I am yet to find a wipe that does a brilliant job of removing mascara, even the specialised eye make-up remover wipes don’t tend to get it all off, so this isn’t something that would stop me buying them.
How much?

A pack of 25 wipes costs £3.25 in Boots and they are also available in all the other places where you might expect to find them - Superdrug, supermarkets etc. They are often available on promotion (usually 3 for 2) and, at a promotional price, they represent reasonably good value for money. Price-wise, they are somewhere in the mid-market - the ‘cosmetic’ brands tend to have their own, more expensive versions, and the supermarkets have cheaper versions. Obviously it is 'cheaper' to actually wash your face properly than using wipes but, if you are going to buy wipes anyway, these are decent value.
Would I recommend them?

I buy these wipes repeatedly, so I think I’d have to say that I would recommend them. I’m going with a four star rating as it does annoy me that they won’t remove mascara properly, and that they claim to be ‘moisturising’ when they are not really. However, they are as good as any other brand of wipes I’ve tried, even the more expensive ones, and I would definitely buy them again in the future. They are also perfect for travelling - I always keep a pack of wipes in my bag on any longish trips, to freshen myself up (and, inevitably, to clean chocolate off the children’s faces) - and these are perfect as something the whole family can use in that situation.

• StewwyB published 24/11/2015