Singles, The - Basement Jaxx

Singles, The - Basement Jaxx

1 CD(s) - UK House - Label: XL - Distributor: PIAS UK/Sony DADC - Released: 21/03/2005 - 634904018726

Review of "Singles, The - Basement Jaxx"

published 13/06/2005 | tom_very1st
Member since : 14/10/2004
Pro All the best of the kings of remix
Cons Likely to be overplayed, 'Get me off' is missing
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"O my gosh, Jaxx is back!"

When I found out Basement Jaxx were releasing a singles album I had a vision of the cd being in my player and me listening to it, so I decided to buy it (despite having quite a few of the tracks on it already).

To give you a bit of background knowledge (the limited amount i have!), Basement jaxx are made up of the duo Simon Ratcliffe and Felix Buxton from Brixton who announced themselves onto the music scene 10 years. They have since released many tracks which you will more familiarly link with adverts and clubs.

This album seems the perfect album for us the listeners as I have found that not all the tracks on a Basement Jaxx album are that great, and this combines the best of the best. So lets go through the album which begins with the stunning track 'red alert'

1.Red Alert - 3:37
The album begins 'yo yo yo, yo yo, yo yo', and goes straight to one of my favourite basement jaxx tunes. This is THE ultimate party tune that is almost guaranteed to make the most subdued (if slightly tipsy) singing and dancing. Blue James provides the vocals which are backed up by the fantastic funky baselines. An instant must-listen-to classic!

2.Good Luck - 3:31
We are being spoilt now. Possibly the best Basement Jaxx track of them all sees Lisa Kekaula providing fantastic vocals to a tune which makes fantastic use of the London session Orchestra string section. This is a track which must be played loudly and preferably through big speakers. One of my mates has built this huge sound system which makes this track sound unbelievable. What a dance track!

3.Romeo - 3:26
This is a good track which i had alreay listened to quite a lot before buying this album (or at least it seemed like a lot). This one will get stuck in your head, 'you used to be my Romeo..' Can actually get really annoying, but still a good track

4.Oh my Gosh - 3:56
The latest single released from this album was (i suppose) an instant hit -or at least here in London. Really solid track that will appeal more to some than others. Great beat, and bass and particulary acoustic parts. Theres a bit in here that sounds a bit like Nelly!

5.Bingo Bango - 3:56
What a tune! Great latino rhythms, that give a kindog party/carnival atmosphere. I think it must have been played a lot around a major football tournament because i always link it with the build up to a big England match (like against Brazil or something), but i might be just me. This ones almost infectious and is almost like latin funk in places. You'll recognise it. Amazing.

6.Wheres your head at? - 3:59
I dunno, depends what time of day it is. Very overplayed in my opinion so i dont like it all that much. A lot of people will love it.

7.Rendez-vu - 3:44
Sounds like one of the openings to another basement jaxx tune ('tonight' i think). This is a new one and is very electronic, and sounds a bit like cher (remember when she did that electronnic sounding song). Some great mexican style trumpet playing and guitar strumming brings in some great rhythms again.

8.Jump N'Shout - 3:38
Im not so impressed with this one. A lot of looping has been used and its a track that will sound a little bit worse every time you hear it. A matter of taste though i guess.

9.Lucky Star - 3:58
Right, this one uses Dizzee Rascal. A lot of people really dont like him but after hearing his song 'dream' my opinion of him totally changed and actually think he is quite talented now (listen to the lyrics of 'dream' and you may see what i mean). This is a cool track that contrasts Dizzee Rascals vioce with the kind of arabian back tune, and some weird other vocals which sound kinda funky.

10.Plug it in - 3:19
With JC Chasez (yep, that other one from NSYNC) on vocals i think this track works really well. Others are divided on what they think of tihs track, but i think that the more you listen to it the better it gets. Funnily enough, i only started liking this track after having it stuck in my head for a whole day.

11.U don't know me - 3:35
I dont know this one, so im assuming it is new (forgive me if Im wrong). Good track, that sounds like someone that i cant put my finger on. I like this one as it has a bit more of a rocky effect.

12.Do your thing - 4:19
Back to classic Basement Jaxx now. This is a truly great track that is for everyone and will make you feel really good if you listen to it in the morning. It also makes great backgroung evening music. Bluesy bass line make this a bit more jazzy, but keep the funky side. Fantastic track, probably one of the best on the album.

13.Jus 1 Kiss - 3:37
At this point we move onto unchartered territory for me befre this album. The constant beat and looped tune is really appealing in this track. Quite bubbly, but still a good track. Worth listening to more than once before youmake up your mind on it.

14.Flylife - 4:05
Not so fond of this track. I dont dislike it, but it seems just a bit boring to me. This was basement jaxx's first released single that combines reggae, rap, and a bit of house.

15.Samba magic - 4:56
Purely instrumental samba style track. Sounds a bit like Bingo Bango. This is a nice way to finish the album, but because it doesnt really have a hook (memorable line, rhythm or melody) its not really a great single. Good track though.

So there we go, thats Basement Jaxx the singles. This seems to me like an essential collection os tracks that everyone should really own and that is most definately worth buying. If you honestly have never heard Basement Jaxx this is your chance, and is your best bet as we see all the best tracks (bar a couple that are missing) come together. This will cary the Basement Jaxx legacy for years to come, and hopefully is just the start of a longer line of Basement Jaxx classic tracks. Thanks Basement jaxx. - Tom

• james564 published 19/07/2005
    Good review. I only like the first four songs on the album though :P James
  • e.j.kingham published 04/07/2005
    Great review. I decided I didn't need this as I have their other albums... although slightly dissapointed that SFM wasn't included in the track list as that's my fav.
  • COOOEEE published 01/07/2005