Review of "Skype.com"

published 25/08/2011 | Carlo75
Member since : 25/08/2011
Satisfactory
Pro Free is Great.
Cons All pay services are suspect.
Layout & Design
Navigation
Site content & information
Range of services/products
Prices

"Skype Premium services a scam"

I have been using Skype free services for several years now and have no complaints. However, anyone making the sad mistake of getting any of the subscriptions or even buying minutes, might need to think twice. The last three weeks I have had Skype both take money from my account several days before the due date of the subscription, with no notice, and refuse to give me the credit until the subscription date.. When I asked for my money back I was told it would take several days. Amazingly the date my money would be refunded was the sate the subscription would have started.
That would have been one thing if it was the only incident.
This evening I needed to make a long business call from Mexico to the Dominican Republic. I only had $2.71 in credit and my subscription for |20 minutes a month had run out. So, I cancelled that subscription and bought another.for $11. Then, just to cover myself with enough credit for the call, I bought ANOTHER $10 in credit. Immediately fees were taken from my PayPal account. I make my call however and am talking for 16 minutes and the call is cut off. Now the leading VOIP company in the world cannot seem to be able to allow its support to talk with a voice, only text. So, t his required me spending almost two hours in chat with an agent, who was pasting stock answers over and over, not answering the questions I had until I finally gave up and asked for a supervisor.
Now the supervisor tells me that my subscription was delivered but, again, it would not be active until the other ran out, even though Id CANCELLED the other and had no minutes. Even though I provided both the PayPal ID and the Skype ID for payment the supervisor told me I had to provide her with PROOF of my purchase so an investigation can be started that could take up to 30 days.
So now we have nearly $35 taken by Skype in less than three weeks. The clarity might be good and it might be pretty, but support is totally incompetent and once is an error, twice is either incompetence or theft. I understand that Skype has 20 million subscribers. If 1000 $10 mistakes are made per day this is $10,000 a day that Skype gets to keep in its accounts and earn interest on and invest with. I have talked to several colleagues who have had similar problems recently.

I repeat, nothing wrong with Skype´s free services but DO NOT allow them access to your money. You will lose money and spend hours talking to a Filipino girl who is cutting and pasting stock answers that you could get from the FAQs.

• Classicc published 16/08/2016