Slazenger Select Test Pads

Slazenger Select Test Pads

Cricket Batting Pads

Review of "Slazenger Select Test Pads"

published 19/04/2001 | Morgenhund
Member since : 26/07/2000
Since I last wrote a review here, I got married and became a father, changed jobs, went around the world and took a lot of photos! I see that the site has had a makeover in my absence!
Pro Two double width straps
Cons No instep protection
Protection

"Ideal for the average club cricketer"

The Slazenger Select Test pads are a good alternative for anybody looking for a fairly inexpensive pair of batting pads with the general comfort of a quality pair of batting pads but without the price tag. These pads usually retail around the £39.99 mark, but many wholesalers such as Morrant, Romida or Bourne are likely to have them for closer to £30.

I used a set of these, which I had borrowed off a friend, for the indoor season (I play a lot of indoor cricket in Austria) and was very impressed with them. Pads have improved immeasurably, in the 15 years that I have been playing cricket, with buckles being replaced by Velcro fastenings, which can allow you to get the tightness of the pads more accurately. As regards the straps of these pads, they were great, with the bottom (ankle) and the middle (shin) straps being both 2 inches wide (on pads of this price range, the norm is still to have a narrow ankle strap), although the kneestrap is only one inches wide.

However there is a solution to this, namely that you can buy cushion straps (leather inserts that you can attach to the knee strap, that will then give the feel of having a wide knee strap. These cost about four of five pounds, and whilst that won't turn you into a Marcus Trescothick overnight, if you do occupy the crease for long periods, even if only to deprive your opponents of that elusive bowling point, the backs of your knees will thank you for them.

Do they actually do the job though? I wore these against the bowling machine, and whilst I was not having balls pinged down at high speed, I did not notice being sturck on the pads by fast deliveries. Against a spinner, when padding the ball away, the ball did not balloon away, which could prove useful if you have close fielder in for the bat/pad catch. The pads are a standard 7 cane arrangement and the hex tech side wing allows you additional protection on the leading side of your leg, although for a club bag the Super Test Range might be a good buy, as it has wings on both sides, making it an ambidextrous pad in theory, although when worn left handed, the straps may rub against each other. The only thing that they lack is extra instep protection, but this is not available on any pads of this pricerange.

Overall this is a good sturdy pad for the average club player, which should get a lot of wear and willsee you good for a few seasons, although I am looking forward to the shipment of my Newbery pads.

• flashpointz published 19/04/2001
    Mike - I was hardly even 'in' long enough to need pads! I was one of those cricketers (well hardly!) who didn't bat above around #9, was brought on to bowl a) for a laugh or b) a last resort and was sent to field at long leg - but I tirned up regular and could keep a tidy scorebook too. Back in my schooldays - not long after they'd invented Cricket (WG Grace was a 'proising youngster'), I played in the School Second X1. It was often a 'joke' side, made up the keen players and one or two fringe cricketers. Our worst game was ironically when we had a strong team added to by three first teamers. Well we managed to bowl the opposition (St Ignatius, Enfield) out for 90. We thought we'd be on a good thing. Then out two 'strar openers' went out to bat....and came back pretty sharpish for 0. We were 0-3, 1-4, 2-5. It was, at first, just a joke "Oh someone will go in and knock up a quick 20". Then it was scary. I went in at #8 and joined out captain at 2-6 two runs, six wickets! Skipper hit a boundary - yippee 6-6! Skipper skied one, 6-7! New guy came in 6-8! I scampered a single - at least I got on the scoresheet. Another wicket down 7 runs 9 wickets....oh merde! Keith scores another run with a 'murderous' swipe that almost made it off the square! Then it was all over - me left stranded at a phenomenal 2 not out, second topscorer as we were all out for EIGHT! They had one bowler who got 9 wickets for ONE Run (sorry mate, I got the one). Funny to look back on - scary at the time. I also remember around that time a local club match where one team only had 9 players and were ALL OUT for 1 ...and that was a no ball! Pads ....Who need them?
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 19/04/2001
    Slazenger seems like a well known name giving you the added protection required in this sport. I do not play cricket myself and am not aware of other leading brands in this field but at 39.99 they seem good value for the protection they offer! hope you make many safe runs with these!
  • LostWitness published 19/04/2001
    Congratulations! - the first opinion of the day to load in one attempt!!