Slazenger Select

Slazenger Select

Cricket Bats

Review of "Slazenger Select"

published 09/04/2004 | andywood
Control

"Great Bat."

V200 Select

V200 Select

As it is now coming up to the new cricket season, I was in desperate need of a new bat, a good new bat unlike my previous few.

I opoted for the Slazenger V600 Select (same model as Mark Butcher, England and surrey uses, but obviously a better bat), it was £94 from www.cricket-hockey.com, (RRP £120) with free P&P within 5 working days.

The bat is made from grade three English willow, and with cricket-hockey, it came pre-knocked in (saves sitting there with a mallet for nine hours), and also with a toe gaurd, so you don't much up the bottom of the bat while using it. Although it came pre-knocked in, I would advise more knocking in to get the best perormance, and save it getting cracked in it's early stages of life.

The new design for 2004, has made this bat designed with a maroon grip (handle), and a maroon patter on back and front, which is very pleasing to the eye. This bat is intended for players who like superior hitting, but as they have removed wood from last year at the toe end of the bat, it is still a light-weight pick-up, which was important in my decision as I personally hate big, heafty bats. Also this year they have exaggerated the edges, allowing you to always get bat onto ball and save it flying off the edge into the slip cordon in a match situation.

I have taken it down to my local nets, and when it comes off the middle of the bat, my god it flies.
All select bats from cricket-hockey are the same price, and the rest upwards go like this:

Pro - £149(RRP £200) V200, V800, V600 and V1200.

Supreme - £119 (RRP £150) V800, V1200 and V600.

And beneath the select range are:

V1200 Super Pro Face - £89 (RRP £100)
V600 Panther (Juniors) - £25.

I'm sorry to people who have read this review because I know how many people don't like cricket and think it's boring, but hey. I hope if you are after a new bat this has been informative and helpfull to you.

• Saajan published 27/05/2006
    Unlike everyone else, it seems, I actually AM a Cricket fan - just started playing for a local league team after 6 years absence from the game due to work commitments etc and am after a new bat as my uncle is getting a little irked at the fact that I borrow his beloved MRF at the moment! Will try that website to see if they have anything I fancy - thanks for the review!
  • Aball published 05/06/2004
    Sounds like too much money to prepare for, and play a game I'm sure I would suck at. Joshua
  • mansfield666 published 04/06/2004
    this was an exceptional review very helpful!