Slazenger Tankini Set Ladies

Slazenger Tankini Set Ladies

Review of "Slazenger Tankini Set Ladies"

published 09/06/2016 | littleowlski
Member since : 21/10/2013
I'm back... a bit! Trying to catch up when I can.
Pro Cheap, good quality, comfortable and sporty style
Cons Some stitching has come loose, bottoms ride up slightly
Style

"Sporty Slazenger Swimming Set"

Size 14 - New One

Size 14 - New One

I've always hated traditional swimming costumes. I don't like the leg shapes on them, I find them awkward to get on and off and because I've got a relatively long body for my size, I find they tend to dig into my shoulders or pull up too much at the crotch area. When I was pregnant, I bought a maternity tankini set which I loved, so much so that when I needed to buy a new cossie, I deliberately looked for another tankini version.

What is the Tankini Set?

I will admit to cringing ever so slightly at the word 'tankini'. I never use it out loud or in real life, but it's easier than keeping typing 'top and bottoms' or some such alternative. I used to think that it meant a set that would still allow you to get a tan through, hence 'tan' in the name. It took me some time to realise it just meant a 'tank' top with bottoms. Anyway, this is a vest style with a racing back on top and a pair of shorts on the bottom. My set is in navy blue but there are other colours available including black and pink. I've had this in both the 16 and now the 14. Each time I've had the blue set as that's been the cheapest one in Sports Direct. Also, I'm pretty pale so looking at the pink set, I'd probably look naked from a distance... not the look I'm going for.
Style and In Use

The style of the tankini set is very much a sporty aesthetic. The straps at the top are very thin and meet in the middle at the back to create the racer back. I find the top really comfortable and I don't have to worry about the straps falling off my shoulders as I'm swimming. There is a support band at the bust area to try to hold everything in the right place: something I'm a bit in need of after breastfeeding two children! This does seem to work quite well and offers enough support, that I feel confident and happy enough to walk around on the beach or in my garden without feeling like I need something else on over the top. The style of the top does emphasise your shoulders and collar bone area; I don't mind this as I've been working hard at the gym so I'm happy to show it off a bit. I'd imagine for serious swimmers, this style is a massive benefit as it wouldn't restrict your arm movements at all.I certainly can't feel any material round my arms while I'm swimming.

The shorts are like hotpants are briefs in style. They come just far enough down the thigh to cover your nether regions without any risk of, ahem, foliage peeping out. In the size 16, I found that they covered my bottom quite well and even came down a little bit longer, but the size 14 feels like it has a bit less coverage. I find that when I'm walking to get into the swimming pool then I'm tugging them down a bit, particularly the left bum cheek. I am happy to walk around wearing just these on the beach, but it is annoying that the size 14 bottoms seem to ride up that bit more than the 16s did. It could be that my bottom still would be more comfortable in the 16s. For me, a casual swimmer, these are perfectly adequate and comfortable for swimming in. I'm not sure if a serious swimmer might find them a bit restrictive as I find the elastic around the leg holes is a bit tight as well.

Generally, the suit is very comfortable to wear when swimming. It clings to your skin in a positive way: doesn't get air in or bubble up while under the water. However, once I started to get too thin for the 16, the top did then start to let in air as I was swimming and I'd find I was pulling it down all the time to put my belly away. So it's worth trying on before purchase to make sure you get the right size.

The style of two separate pieces means it's really easy to get changed afterwards. It's one of the things I always hated about one pieces, trying to grapple with it when I was soaked from swimming, clammy from the shower and flustered in the hot changing room. Now, it's really easy just to step out of the bottoms and pull the top off over my head.

To give a context: I've owned the size 16 set for about 14 months and used it at least once a week, sometimes twice in all of that time. The suit itself still looks in very good condition. It has faded and the stitching is starting to come undone on one of the shoulders. However, the fabric still feels just as good as when it was new - I can feel from my new set that it still feels exactly the same. I hadn't even noticed that it had faded until I compared it to the new set. It still looks perfectly wearable and a good colour. The elastic is still firm and holds its support in place. I only really replaced it because of the size of the top.

Apart from the loose stitching, everything else feels well made. I was surprised when the stitching started to come apart but I have used it a lot over the last year, so it's lasted reasonably well.
Final Thoughts

I bought my sets from Sports Direct for under £10 which I think is really good value for money. It's really easy to wash as well, and I can wring quite a decent amount of water out of it immediately in the changing rooms so it will dry out quickly if necessary. I know not everybody washes their swimming costume every time, but I do because I don't like the smell of the chlorine. It seems strange to say that despite the fading and the loose stitching, it's taken the frequent wear quite well but I didn't notice it had faded until I laid the two costumes next to each other.

In my opinion, it's a really good quality, cheap swimming set that offers an alternative to a one piece costume. Obviously, I think it's good or I wouldn't have bought it again. I can imagine it wouldn't be flattering on some body shapes, but I'm fairly curvy with muscular arms, bit of a tummy (!) and bottom (!!) and it looks fine on me. Really athletic shapes would probably show it off even better. Nothing in the world could convince me to put a picture of myself wearing it on the internet, so you'll have to take my word for it. Recommended.

• 2mennycds published 11/06/2016