Slazenger Test Cricket Ball

Review of "Slazenger Test Cricket Ball"

published 04/10/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro High quality, trusted brand, durable, reliable and consistent.
Cons Expensive for just messing about with.

"Slazenger Test Cricket Ball"

First impressions

When is a cricket ball not a cricket ball? You might think that all cricket balls are the same, though when I looked to buy one in a shop last year I soon learnt that this isn’t the case, and I came home none the wiser as to what I wanted. What did I want the ball for? Well, I could have answered that simply by telling them “For cricket” but I didn’t think I would waste my breath. The Slazenger range alone is extensive, with well over a dozen balls to choose from!

I bought the Slazenger Test Cricket Ball and you will probably wonder why I did this. I do not play text match cricket, and I imagine many people do not either. I just figured that this is probably going to be the most durable and best all round ball. After all, this type of ball is designed for use during a test series, so it is sure to last?

My experience

The cricket ball we have here is made from alum tanned leather. As part of the process of turning animal rawhide into leather, aluminium salts are added to the process, and this creates a very durable version of leather. The quality of this Slazenger cricket ball is high, and I expected nothing less from this top brand. Slazenger do not just make the cricket balls, they are well-known for their high quality pads and other cricket equipment. Slazenger are a sports brand, and they are highly respected in a range of sports.

The centre of the cricket ball is made from layered cork, and the make up of this depends on the type of ball you are buying. I am not going to say I understand this in the case of the ball I have here, but consistency is key, and the bowler needs to know exactly how the ball is going to react, so balance and uniformity is essential. The Slazenger ball here does bowl well and is consistent, though some would argue a bit of movement is welcome at times. I am not so sure about that, with these small village greens giving more than enough unpredictable movement as it is.

The wear on the ball is fair. This is not a match ball as far as I am concerned – I have not used it during a match. However, with the high quality and durability of this ball it is fine to use in the local park. I suppose a practice ball could be recommended, but this is a very durable product and as it is one of the most expensive balls on the market it should surely last longer than these cheaper practice balls.

Price and availability

The Slazenger Test Cricket Ball will set you back in the region of £25 to £30 depending on where you shop. Online is usually your best bet because you can compare prices, though sports stores often have offers on things like this.

Final thoughts

Overall this is a high quality ball. How it performs against a practice ball or a county ball is too much for me to handle, but I can inform you that this is a durable piece of equipment. The seam is showing some signs of wear now, but this is to be expected over time. It has not started to affect the performance of the ball too much just yet.

• MrsWilkes published 11/01/2017