Review of "Sleek VIP Lipstick"

published 16/09/2017 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro moisturising, easy to apply, lovely range of colours
Cons have to apply a little more than most other lipsticks
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"Giving my Lips the VIP Treatment."

Sleek VIP Lipstick

Sleek VIP Lipstick

= = =
About
= = =
Since I started wearing lipstick a little more about a year ago I have been experimenting with different brands of lipsticks with different finishes. I personally love and much prefer the matte finish in terms of lipsticks and although I have tried a few matte lipsticks in the past, none of them have been that amazing. I find that matte lipsticks tend to dry out my lips a fair bit and I always find it hard choosing a colour that I think suits me. When in my local Boots or Superdrug store, I am always browsing the different make-up ranges to see what new products there are. I actually purchased this lipstick a couple of months ago but have only got around to using it recently. I don’t wear lipstick all the time and tend to only use it when going out to the pub or for special occasions. I do wear it sometimes casually during the day if I am popping out for a few hours as well. I chose this lipstick more because I loved the shade of the product and not because of the brand. I have purchased a few items from the Sleek range before and always find their products a bit hit and miss. Sleek do have a great range of products and they are very reasonably priced compared to other brands. The lipstick I am reviewing is from the VIP Lipstick range and it is packed with Vitamin E, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil to keep your lips hydrated. This lipstick is what they call semi-matte and it gives your lips an intensely pigmented, velvety finish. This lipstick review is based on the shade “Ready to Rock” which is a deep mauve like colour.

= = = = =
Packaging
= = = = =
The lipstick comes in black packaging which has a matte finish to it. On the lid to the lipstick is had the brand name and the range of lipstick it is from (VIP). On the top of the lid is a sticker which states the name of the shade of the lipstick. The bottom half of the lipstick is clear and you can see the colour of the lipstick through this. When removing the lid, you will then need to twist the bottom in order for the lipstick to twist up. You can twist the bottom again for the lipstick to twist back down. When you put the lid back on the lipstick, it should make a click sound to tell you that the lid is secure. I have had the lipstick in my make-up bag and in a pocket in my hand-bag and I have never had any issues with the lid coming off.

Price/Availability
= = = = = = = =
I purchased this lipstick from Superdrug for £5.50, but I believe the Sleek range is also available in some Boots stores as well. The lipstick comes in over 20 different shades including pinks, purples, reds and more.

= = = = = = = = =
Using the Product
= = = = = = = = =
Before using any lipstick, I always use a lip scrub on my lips to get rid of any dry/dead skin and I also apply a light layer of lip balm; although I wanted to see how well this product performed without a lip balm underneath as Sleek claim that this lipstick is moisturising and doesn’t dry out lips. The lipstick has a very slight sweet smell to it which is I think is quite nice as some lipsticks smell horrible. I was able to apply the lipstick to my lips easily. The lipstick has a lovely, creamy formula that glides across my lips with very little effort providing a smooth and even coverage. I could see the colour going onto the lips as I was applying it; how-ever my lips really needed going over a 2nd time so I applied the lipstick to my lips twice, building up the colour. I normally use a lip liner to line my lips before using lipstick; how-ever I don’t currently have a suitable lip liner to go with this particular lipstick so I had to go without. This particular colour is a gorgeous deep mauve which isn’t a colour that I would normally go for.

= = = =
Results
= = = =
When I first applied the lipstick, I’ll admit that I wasn’t too sure that it was me but then I decided that I loved it as it was different to the shades of pinks or brown lipsticks that I normally go for. The colour of the lipstick is beautiful and despite not wearing lip liner with the lipstick it looked great. The finish to the lipstick isn’t completely matte and as stated earlier in the review it is more of a semi matte finish which I love. I applied the lipstick early afternoon before heading out with my boyfriend for a meal. The lipstick seemed to stay on a reasonable amount of time and to my surprise, the product didn’t dry out my lips at all. As my lips were moisturised the lipstick didn’t become patchy unlike others that I have used in the past. The lipstick stayed on a reasonable amount of time but of course after drinking and eating I did need to re-apply it as the majority of it had worn off. I have worn this lipstick a few times now for various occasions and I absolutely love it. It’s not often that my lips do feel dry when wearing this lipstick; how-ever if they do then I just apply a little lip balm over the top of the lipstick; although applying lip balm does take away the semi-matte look to the lipstick.

Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = =
I’ll admit, that this lipstick is better than what I expected it to be. I love the particular shade of the lipstick that I chose, but it does come in a great range of shades so I may go and have another look at the range at some point and treat myself to a few more as well as a couple of lip liners. The lipstick is creamy, so it’s nice and easy to apply to your lips. I like the slightly sweet scent to the product; although the lipstick doesn’t taste of anything when licking your lips like you might expect. The lipstick does keep my lips moisturised when I am wearing it and I never find the lipstick becoming patchy at all. The lipstick does wear off quicker than others that I have used in the past, but I am not really bothered as when it does start to wear off it doesn’t look really bad or that obvious. You could probably apply Lipcote to the lipstick to help make it last a little longer. In terms of value, I think the lipstick is very reasonably priced for the quality of it. This is a lipstick that I am definitely going to continue using and when I do start running low on this particular shade I am definitely going to be purchasing it again.

= = = = = =
Ingredients
= = = = = =
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Silica, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Kaolin, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Parfum (Fragrance). (+/-): CI 15850 (Red 7), CI 15850 (Red 6), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 42090 (Blue 1).

APOLOGIES for the VERY BAD selfie of me pouting!! I look awful in selfies anyway and this selfie does not do me any justice!!!!!

• euphie published 20/09/2017
    e :o)
  • NBCMad92 published 18/09/2017
    That's a nice shade on you. Everything you need to know in a makeup review, you get an E!
  • justarube published 18/09/2017