debbie_ma... 4

debbie_marway

Member since:09.10.2002

Slimfart - gave me nothing but wind

04.06.2004

Advantages:
It works, you will loose weight

Disadvantages:
you need will power, you are still starving, expensive .

Taste

Effectiveness

Price level

Why did you buy it?Recommendation

19 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  2. sandy_01
  3. jolmartyn
  1. temporalbandit
  2. leylapops

Sorry about the title but this is how slim fast drinks leave me, with lots of wind!

I have probably tried just about every diet under the sun. I havenít always been on the cuddly side, itís only after the children that the weight sticks like glue.

I am currently on the Rosemary Conley diet and Iím doing quite well. Unfortunately Iím at the slowing down stage where you only seem to loose a pound on week or stay the same.

So to give myself a boost and try to encourage a quicker weight loss, I thought I would invest in a few slim fast products (please donít grass me up to Rosemary Conley).

I bought enough for two weeks at quite a considerable cost. As I have just finished my two-week stint I thought I would share my experiences with you.
The over view of slim fast is that a woman should be eating 1200-1400 calories, and a man should have 1400 calories minimum.

A Slim Fast meal replacement, be it milkshake or two bars is around 200-250 calories with all the vitamins your body needs when on a diet.

You then swap two of your regular meals in a day with meal replacements, and then have a healthy 600-calorie meal for dinner. They also recommend having 2 or 3 snacks of around 100 calories a time. I opted for fruit but just remember to not overdo that either, one apple for example is 50 calories and a banana around 100 calories. Donít get too complacent and think its safe to eat half a dozen bananas and a couple of Granny Smiths.

I found it helpful to store the days fruit allowance in a two separate containers and keep it in the fridge ready for when the hunger hits, and yes believe me it does.

Slim fast shakes comes in ready available cans or milk shake powder in drums that you mix yourself. The make it yourself powder costs anything from £5 up to £6.75 depending on where you buy it. My local Vantage chemist always has it on offer of £4.99 where as Boots charge the full amount. This will last you just about five days and you have to buy a shaker separate which is around £2. An old clean SMA tin with the lid does just as well!

The milk shake tins are from 0.99p to around £1.50 depending again where you buy it from. You consume a whole tin for one replacement meal. Word of advice, keep them chilled, as they taste like Carnation otherwise. Serve with ice and the change in taste is quite considerable and they are enjoyable served this way. These 325 ml cans arenít too obtrusive to store in the fridge and are handy to take out with you. Just shake it, break the ring pull and drink, easy.

Now the flavours. Here are the ones I tried:

Chocolate Ė really yummy, wanted more.
Strawberry Ė quite sweet but still delish.
Banana Ė this needs to be chilled otherwise its like drinking Nestle milk. Not one of the best as its so sickly.
Coffee Ė yuk!
Vanilla Ė a good combination enjoyed this.

The drum powder I chose was chocolate. This was so damned hard to shake that I must have lost days calories just shaking the lumps out. After drinking the chocolate stuck around the edges of the glass like tar and even a 60-degree blast in the dishwasher didnít shift it first time. Makes you wonder what it is doing to your insides doesnít it?

However, on the plus side it tasted good and I was so tempted to add a scoop of Walls Vanilla, but then that would defeat the object. The powder tastes so different from the cans, both are very pleasant. It left me with a slight after taste and before I hit the chocolate to remove it, I opted to clean my teeth instead.

I also invested in the meal replacement bars. I bought the chocolate again Ė I bet you can see where all my problems lie now. You eat two bars as a meal Ė allegedly.
It took me twenty minutes just to chomp on the first mouthful. I did a great impression of a bulldog chewing a wasp. It tasted like rubber, where was that chocolate fix? Fingers crossed my fillings can hold up, I was too worried I would loose them to eat the second bar. This I rate as a miserable 1/10 Ė Yuk! At £3.68 for 6 bars itís expensive and tasteís revolting. The remaining five bars will be deposited in the bin, not even the birds would eat this.

However as a treat I chose the 99 calorie chocolate caramel bars. They are the same price and once again, you get six bars in a box. These certainly tickled my tonsils and found it hard to say no to anymore. Really tasty and just so easy to eat, youíll not be disappointed with this.

The chocolate muesli bars resembled nothing I can compare to. Once again watch your fillings, not very edible or tasty for my liking.

The toffee bars Ė Yuk! Enough said.

For £3.49 you can buy three packets of soups, which also act as a meal replacement. I was tempted to make a few dumplings and add some crusty bread to my lunch, but thought better of it. The soup has croutons but nothing to my standard. There were no more than 6 in my wild mushroom bowl. Talk about mean.
The soups you make up yourself and its very easy, just follow the instructions on the rear of the packets.

Flavours are:

Chicken and sweet corn Ė quite pleasant but watery.

Wild Mushroom Ė awful colour when made, looks like vomit but tasted all right. Hope that didnít put you off!

Garden Vegetable Ė Like this one, but not filling enough.

Tomato Ė I hate tomatoes and refused to buy this one so cannot comment, sorry!

Lastly I bought a pasta meal. The pasta Florentine with broccoli and spinach. Same price as the soups and you have to prepare them yourself. Itís quite easy though.
Either add the pasta to 200 ml of boiling water and stir. Cover bowl and let it stand for three minutes. Add the sauce packet finally and stir.
Or place the contents in a microwave for around three minutes. After it has ďpingedĒ, let it stand for a few minutes again and then devour.
I served my pasta with a fat free salad and it was quite substantial as my evening meal. This gets a thumbs up rating for me, very nice and more filling than the soups.

THE VITAMINS:
Slim fast claim they have added all the necessary vitamins required for dieting. This ranges from:
Vitamins A, D, E, C, B12, Folic acid, Calcium, Zinc, Selenium, Iron and copper. If you take an extra supplement as normal then just be careful you donít overdo it.

DOís AND DONíTíS
Do drink lots of water, Yes it makes you run to the loo every few minutes but youíre skin will appreciate you for it and it fools your brain into thinking your not that hungry.

Donít use the slim fast plan if you have any health concerns; see your GP first for advice.

Donít use it if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Do eat your full allowance. Donít cut back fooling yourself you will achieve a bigger weight loss, you wont!

TO SUM UP:
My conclusion at the end of the two weeks is that I lost 6 pounds at a cost of £39.40. Itís a tasty range but is no way filling unless you are use to eating one stick of celery a day.
The milkshake alone will give you nothing but wind. At one point I was ready for lift off. You need some food inside otherwise you will spontaneously combust.
Itís good, it works but for long term, donít think I can hack it. I will return to my Rosemary Conley diet plan and continue to loose little but often.
Thanks for reading.

P.S: I have just found out Boots sell a complete 7-day diet plan at a price of £36.95 with full step by step instructions. If you want to go on this plan, perhaps this is worth a try and you can order it from www.wellbeing.co.uk (Boots website). Remember diet clubs work out cheaper though.

temporalbandit 29.08.2005 00:54

I've noticed the wind.... I think the inclusion of so much air in the shakes is to bulk it out, make you feel like you've taken in more than you have, therefore filling you up more. But it's gotta come back out eventually.... I've only tried the banana and 'cafe original' flavour shakes. I've got to say I really like them, but then I have an amazingly sweet tooth. I find the banana shake stops me feeling quite so hungry quite so soon after breakfast or lunch.

PrincessMoo 07.01.2005 14:06

Just read lots of reviews on slimfast and your review actually gave me the information I wanted ie how the diet works rather than just waffling on about flavours! I might check out the 2 week start up! Thanx. H

Slayerette 17.06.2004 00:46

OMG I really think I will pass on this one LOL Fabulaous review though told me everything and more I could ever wish to know about slimfast LOL