Smart ForFour 1.5 Pulse

Smart ForFour 1.5 Pulse

Smart present the forfour 1.5 pulse 5dr Hatchback with 5 Speed - (Man) / Softouch - (Auto), Front (FWD) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Smart ForFour 1.5 Pulse"

published 03/09/2017 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
Ciao police (AKA other members) are now policing even my about me!
Pro Fuel usage.
Cons Everything else.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Bouncing along."

Never really seeing the point of a Smart car in the past (after all if it is going to be a two seater then it has to be a proper bona fide MG sports car all the way!), I was mildly perturbed when I saw that a four seater option was going to land on the market with a bump – just like all of those ones that one can feel when driving it, but more on this will come a little later on in the course of my review. Being called the Smart ForFour, this is because it is a car that is marketed for four people.

Originally coming on to the market all the way back in 2004 and made for about two years up until 2006, it then remained dormant until 2014 when it made a comeback and sharing its platform with the Renault Twingo and its mechanics with the Smart ForTwo.

With five doors; four seats and a luggage capacity of 270 litres, to me this car is everything that a Mini is – but without a Mini badge on the front of it, but without the same level of class or style that to me a Mini has. It also has a fuel tank capacity of 475 miles, and an average fuel consumption of 46 miles per gallon – which actually to me is its only real plus, as this is I have found about average in terms of what a lot of smaller cars seem to be able to do fuel wise.

However this is enough praise from my point of view for the car, as to my mind the rest of it is not that great. Size wise if I wanted a car just like this then as already alluded to I would probably be more than likely to go for something like a Mini, as the Smart Forfour is a complete waste of time – the size of the car that you see from the outside is pretty much what you get on the inside. By this I mean that there is no bulk in the car that you would get from many others, and this to me results in a poor handling when on the road – which incidentally has nothing to actually do with the driver, as I have driven many of these as have many other people I work with who have all got varying levels of driving experience.

This particular car works OK whilst driving through cities or towns, but when on motorways or dual carriageways for any length of time – then prepare to be ‘all shook up’, as the car seems to not be able to handle going at high speeds very well. And as well as this part of the Smart Forfour experience not being the best, then so is the comfort when sitting actually inside the car – the space is even more cramped than a Mini or other such small car such as a Peugeot 208, and even though the car has got four seats it can only really seat two people comfortably. Or three at the most, as there is no way two or more people can sit in the back seats – the size of the car means that the two front seats are a fair way back for those people to be comfortable, thus meaning that those people who sit in the back will no doubt have to sit with their knees keeping their ears warm.

Overall the car has that rather squashed look that the two seater counterparts also have, and to me it does not really look like the most attractive of cars – I personally would not buy or rent one myself in a rush unless I really had to, and I cannot really understand why there are so many people who are fascinated by them. With new models starting to be sold at just over the £10,000 mark, second hand cars and rental prices can vary accordingly to wherever you are in the country.

For those who wish to know the slightly more technical details that I have left out, then the model that I have been reviewing has a 1.5 litre sized engine (although there are smaller engines also available); it has five forward gears plus one reverse (although there are also automatic ones in existence), and has a petrol fuelled engine as opposed to the diesel one that some of them do also have. It also has electric windows and key entry; all of the usual ‘in house’ added extras including a radio and on some a sun roof, and the bonnet actually slides forward when it is opened as opposed to pretty much every other car that is on the road whereby you have to lift the bonnet up in order to gain access to the engine.

Overall I am very unimpressed and dissatisfied by this particular car and so therefore I cannot really recommend it to you, however I do also genuinely hope that you can make up your own minds about it.

Thanks for reading!

• RICHADA published 04/11/2017
    In a sense I have to disagree with you here this car is nothing a Mini is - and I'm not a Mini fan either. With it's puny little rear engine, Smart / Daimler Benz should be ashamed of this lashed up Renault Twingo marketing scam. The Mitsubishi based car shown in the Ciao picture was at least characterful and different, everything this one isn't in fact. Your conclusion is absolutely spot on - in my opinion one of, if not THE worst car on the market in 2017. I'd rather drive a ten year old Ford Ka than a new one of these! R.
  • Pointress published 02/10/2017