Review of "Smeg A2 100cm Range Cookers"

published 17/01/2005 | duncanh
Member since : 17/01/2005
Pro Stunning looks, high performance, built to last
Cons Very heavy (also an advantage), expensive
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Still turning heads after 6+ years"

Got a Smeg A2 just after they came out. My wife did a long and exhausting comparison with just about every other range cooker available before settling on the Smeg.

Our runs on LPG. This was a simple conversion, all the bits were included and detailed instructions given.

It has been heavily used, my wife cooks for an old folks club in the village.

The only problem in the 6+ years was the thermocouples were flakey. The gas would sometimes be hard to light and would occasionally go out. I had to regularly remove an clean the contacts under the thermocouples. The problem was that they got dirty after pans overboiled and the contacts failed to work. A quick clean and a rub with wet-and-dry sandpaper did the trick.

I don't have the thermocouple problem now as Smeg have redesigned then. They are now 2-wire, and don't depend on earthing contact under the seating.

So what have I replaced after 6 years? One light bulb (the large oven) and the 6 thermocouples (total cost about £30).

It still looks like new.

Last year we had a new kichen fitted. Everything was replaced except the Smeg. The kitchen fitters thought it was new. Its stainless steel body gleamed like new, and looked like it had just come off the production line (it was nearly 5 years old at the time).

I have seen many adverse comments about Smeg (mainly referring to style over substance). This has not been our view. It has done everything we expected of it.

Our overall experience has been excellent. But this may be because i wouldn't let service technicians near it.

• Nar published 19/01/2005
    You did right to not allow the kitchen fitters anywhere near this fine appliance. Nar
  • rickyshah published 18/01/2005
    certainly looks very good.