Snow N Go Heavy Duty Shoe Snow Grips

Snow N Go Heavy Duty Shoe Snow Grips

Review of "Snow N Go Heavy Duty Shoe Snow Grips"

published 18/02/2014 | cr01
Member since : 13/05/2008
Now writing music gig reviews for free tickets. Sorry ciao, less time for you now; just wish you hadn't stopped paying for music reviews.
Pro A good easy to use product to walk on snow
Cons None for me
Design

"Walking on snow with Snow N Go"

After falling over on ice and breaking my wrist a couple of years ago I have become a complete wuss in winter weather and these days I totter around the snow like an old man (OK there’s probably another obvious reason for that, but please don’t shatter my illusion that I’m still the young guy around town). Last winter I discovered the benefits of some snow grips particularly as that winter had a prolonged period of heavy snow, and this year recently I was bizarrely enough quite excited to have had chance to use my newly purchased pair of snow grips.

How they work

Basically the snow grips are temporary rubber soles that you attach to the sole of your boot. Attached to the rubber is some metal which gives you the grip you need on the ice. They are in short a domestic version of the crampons ice climbers use (although not as heavy duty).

Unfortunately the type of snow grip I used last year broke; the coils of metal grip that the manufacturer used simply cut into the bands of rubber support breaking them. It meant you had to be quite exacting with putting the grips onto your feet and if they slowly slipped on your feet as you walked then you would likely cut into the strips of rubber. I also found that these grips tended to make something of a wet metallic squelching sound as I walked as the loose coils of metal were squished together under my weight.

As my old pair was practically unusable by the end of the season, I was in the market for a new pair. This year I spotted these SnowNGo grips for around £7, and felt they were a little simpler and so might last a little longer. These have a thicker base of rubber support and the metal is shaped into studs rather like the bottom of football boots.
My Experiences

Last week we had the first snowfall of the winter and so I decided to try out my new snow grips. They are light enough to store in my jacket pocket and so I’ve been carrying them around for the last 3 months or so just in case it snowed while I was out and about (I told you I was paranoid about walking in ice and snow).

I liked these SnowNGo grips much better as I found them easier to put on (make sure you are wearing fairly sturdy boots as the thick rubber surrounds do need something fairly robust to cling to), and I was much more confident that the metal studs were not cutting into the much wider rubber supports. As well as the rubber surround to fix around the base of your shoe, there is a buckle that you can use to attach your grips to your shoes. Mine fitted quite snugly and so I didn’t trouble with the buckle. The grips come in different sizes, but there is quite a wide range e.g. large is 6.5-11.5, so I can imagine some difference with the power of the grip of the rubber. I’m actually a delicate foot despite being a six footer, but they seemed to fit well on my well formed size 8’s.

After one wear of my old grips I found that I had cut through a couple of the supports, but this time my grips looked as good as new and I think these SnowNGo grips will last far longer. While I have to say in terms of staying upright I thought my old coiled metal pair probably had the edge, I still didn’t slip once and I was going at a fair pelt. I walked for over 2 miles without a slip.

While the old pair would really only work well when there was an inch of snow, I will try these SnowNGo grips on heavily icy days as well as snowy ones; the studs don’t seem quite as deep as my previous ones. Likewise, walking on the tiled floor of the bus station didn’t present as much of a problem as my old pair would have done.
SnowNGo

SnowNGo provide a lot of winter accessories such as sledges, snow shovels and snow mitts. The company is owned by Brand Fusion International Ltd who seems to make a lot of golfing products. Founded in the UK in 1980, brands include Sun Mountain, Sundog, Go Classic Golf and Kasco Gloves. Brand Fusion International Ltd appears to be a private company based in Surrey and with a distribution warehouse in the Midlands.

Summing Up

I do really appreciate these little grips to help me stay on my feed and so avoid looking like a grimly anxious old dude in the snow. In the round I like the SnowNGo grips much better than my old pair. They seem better designed meaning you can slip them on much more easily, they seem to be able to cope with a wider range of icy conditions and all at the expense of a loss of just a little control.

Overall thumbs up from me – now SnowNGo do you have anything that will enable me to walk on water???

• dawnymarie published 19/02/2014
    I looked into these when we had snow the other year ;)
  • JOHNV published 18/02/2014
    We haven't had any snow here either in Devon (my part, anyway). Tony Blair used to be able to walk on water but I haven't got his phone number any more, sorry.
  • fizzytom published 18/02/2014
    I was looking at something very similar in Home Bargains the other day. Could've done with them the other week in Slovenia when we arrived in the aftermath of the ice storm and it took three minutes to get up our drive. It was one step forwards and one mighty slide backwards

Product Information : Snow N Go Heavy Duty Shoe Snow Grips