So Good Soya Milk

So Good Soya Milk

Fresh, Soya

Review of "So Good Soya Milk"

published 27/04/2004 | Tricia24
Member since : 30/07/2003
Pro Really delicious in cereal, keeps for longer than ordinary milk
Cons Does not taste so nice in tea & coffee
Smell
Product Quality

"So Far So Good"

So Good is a soya alternative to regular milk made with soya protein, water and vitamins. In recent years soya milk has become popular with those who can’t or choose not to drink cow’s milk. Soya milk is suitable for vegans who avoid any animal produce, people who are lactose intolerant (lactose is a sugar that occurs in cow’s milk producing abdominal disorders in those who are intolerant) and those who have an allergy to cow’s milk (most common in young children). I am none of these things. I am part of the second group of people switching to soya milk. While I really enjoy regular semi-skimmed milk I have recently changed to soya milk in an effort to cut back on daily and because of the health benefits (outlined later).

So Good is one of the leading brands of soya milk. It is packaged in 1-litre tetra pack cartons (similar to Tropicana juices). The carton is green and white and features a picture of a glass of So Good milk. At the top there is a blue section with the So Good logo and a screw off lid (much better than those awful milk cartoon you get in newsagents).

The soya milk itself is of a similar consistency to regular milk but a slightly richer colour. Soya milk also has a sweeter and creamier taste than regular semi-skimmed milk. This makes it really tasty with cereal – in fact with a plain cereal such as Corn Flakes before where I was using regular milk I needed to add sugar but now I don’t need to. As a drink on it’s own soya milk is richer than regular milk which some people may like while others don’t. It is also excellent for making protein shakes and can be used in cooking. The only problem with soya milk is it is not so good when added to tea or coffee. I don’t drink tea or coffee but I am reliably informed by houseguests that it does not make a particularly tasty cuppa! Also unfortunately soya milk has a tendency to curdle (separate) in hot drinks, in particular coffee, which can make it look very unappealing.

But on the positive So Good has three primary health benefits.

1) So Good products contain soya protein, which has been proved to lower “bad” cholesterol. A 250ml serving of So Good provides 8.5g of soya protein and three of such helpings a day may reduce the risk of heart disease.
2) Like regular milk So Good soya milk is a rich source of calcium, in fact it contains 20% more calcium than an equal portion of semi-skimmed milk. Calcium is essential to maintain strong bones and teeth.
3) Substituting cow’s milk for soya milk leads to a lower saturated fat intake. Soya milk mainly provides vegetable protein and polyunsaturated fat rather than the animal protein and saturated fat found in regular milk. As part of a healthy diet this can help lower cholesterol and maintain a healthy heart.

In addition, although not a claim by So Good themselves because it is in no way proven, a diet rich in Soya protein is thought to reduce the risk of developing various cancers, for example breast cancer. This claim has arisen due to the far lower incidence of breast and prostate cancers in the Asian world as compared to Western countries. However the Asian diet – based on fish, rice, tofu, soya etc – is far healthier in general so the specific advantages of individual foods are hard to prove.

In terms of cost soya milk is more expensive than it’s dairy counterpart. The rough equivalent of cow’s milk – i.e. 2 pints or 1.13ltr costs roughly £0.58 in my local supermarket while So Good costs £1.29 for 1ltr. So the So Good, in common with other brands of soya milk, is double the cost. On the plus side, however, soya milk keeps much longer – for about 5 days once opened but nearly a month if not opened. I therefore find myself never throwing it away, which was common when I bought cow’s milk.

Overall I will continue to use So Good for my daily cereal needs as I think the sweet taste is delicious. Like the switch between full cream milk and semi-skimmed it takes a couple of days to get used to but once you are used to it switching back would be difficult. However I will keep a pint of cow’s milk in the fridge should I be expecting guests who require tea and coffee.

I would advise other people to try soya milk. It is one of these things that people turn their noses up at before even tasting it. If you eat a lot of cereal So Good is a fantastic alternative to milk but if you mainly use milk in tea and coffee it might not be so suitable.

So Good is available at all the major supermarkets including Sainsburys, Tesco, Waitrose, Safeway, Somerfield and Asda and is usually found in the same section as all the other milk products.

So Good also produce a chocolate flavoured milk drink and long life soya milk.

For further details contact:

or visit: www.sogood123.com

Thanks for reading & I look forward to hearing your comments Triciax

This review was read 1984 times and was rated at

• fun2night4us published 05/01/2005
    very well written, loved the little tid bits info thrown in about lactose intolerance ect... VERY nice..Cheers Dave
  • luckyarchers published 24/09/2004
    Thank you. I have just been advised to make changes to my diet, and this answered quite a few questions I had!
  • thrillerismyfavouritesong published 30/05/2004
    EEEEEEEE! I LOVE this stuff! And it's in Britain which means I can rate it :) :) And drink it when I go there. Thanks!!!!!!!