Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, Magaluf

Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, Magaluf

Review of "Sol Katmandu Park & Resort, Magaluf"

published 08/09/2017 | daylehall
Member since : 02/07/2004
Happy New Year everyone :-)
Pro Family friendly, so much to see and do, good location
Cons Kids disco was a little late
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Katman... Must...Do!"

I started planning my annual summer holiday back in January this year. It was going to be my first holiday abroad with my children since becoming a single parent and I had a short list of things I needed before I was willing to book. I needed the destination to be fairly short haul as I didn’t want the children having too much time to get bored (and play up) on the flight and I also needed to hotel to be fairly close to the airport so the transfer time wasn’t going to be too long. Last of all I wanted lots of things to keep us entertained in the resort so I didn’t need to take the kids out every day if I wasn’t feeling brave enough to do so. I appeared to find the perfect hotel when I came across Sol Katmandu Park & Resort in Magaluf.

Location
Sol Katmandu Park & Resort is basically located right on the main nightlife ‘strip’ in Magaluf. The back of the hotel backs onto the popular nightclub in Magaluf, BCM. It is a half hour drive from the nearest airport in Palma and is 250m from the nearest beach.

Sol Katmandu Park & Resort
Sol Katmandu is a 4 star hotel and it is the first hotel of its kind in Mallorca. It is designed to be a ‘fun-inclusive’ hotel aimed at families. Every guest receives a ‘play pass’ for exclusive resort benefits and free entry into Katmandu Park every day of your stay. Included within the grounds of the hotel is Katmandu Park, Katlantis (the water park) and the soft play area.
The hotel has three swimming pools, a buffet restaurant, a pool bar, a kids club and themed entertainment every night.

Booking
I love a bargain so I looked and looked at this hotel before eventually deciding to book. I found the cheapest way to book this hotel was to book direct through their website. This option actually ended up being about £300 cheaper than booking my stay as a package deal. I signed up to the Melia rewards programme when booking which also saved me an extra £89 so well worth doing. In total I paid £1300 for a seven night stay for myself and my children aged 3 & 5. I opted to stay all inclusive which included all our food and drink as well as a gold pass for the attractions (more about this later). I made my booking online and paid for my stay upon arrival at the hotel.

Checking In
We arrived at the hotel about 1pm and I was very tired after being up since 3am that morning! When I arrived there seemed to be about 4 other families all checking in at the same time. I joined a queue and waited to check in, and waited, and waited. After 30 minutes I eventually reached the front of the queue and was able to check in. The check in process from here was relatively quick, just filling out forms with our passport details and paying for our stay. We were then all given our wristbands, one for food and one for access to the park. We were then given our key and told where our room was.

The Room
Our room was number 217 located on the second floor. Our room could be accessed by using one of the lift or the stairs. As I had our luggage to carry to the room I opted for the lift and soon arrived at our room. The room is operated with a card system, swipe the card on the correct door and you get a green light flash up and you can enter your room.

I had read reviews on tripadvisor about this hotel before arriving and some of the negatives stated that the rooms were tiny so I wasn’t expecting anything spectacular. Admittedly our room was small. Inside, we had three single beds, two of which had been pushed together to create a double bed. At the end of the bed on its own was a small fridge with a work surface area on top. Alongside the other wall was one double built in wardrobe which had a completely mirrored front. There was a little shelf either side of the bed which made do as a bedside table. The room is brightly coloured with a nice painting on the wall and the room itself and all the beds looked and smelt nice and clean. On the wall and central to all the beds was a flat screen TV which showed both English and Spanish channels.

The bathroom was actually more impressive than the room. It was a decent size with a full length bath with a shower over the top. There was a mirror on the wall above the sink and the wall running parallel to the door was also completely mirrored making the room feel much bigger than it was (even though it was a good size anyway). Located on the sink area were complimentary toiletries including a toothbrush and toothpaste, a female hygiene kit complete with sanitary towel, panty liner and tampon, a razor and shaving foam kit and a cosmetic kit with face pads and cotton buds. Last of all were body wash, shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser and after-sun. I was very impressed with the complimentary toiletries and had I of known there were available I would have left some of my own at home. There was also a decent hairdryer located on the wall just inside the bathroom door.

At the end of the one single bed was a sliding door which opened up onto a small balcony. On the balcony there was a small table and two chairs. Our balcony overlooked the main entrance of the hotel and park of the pool bar and pool area.

Passes
We stayed on an all inclusive basis which meant that all our food and drink was included and we also got ‘gold’ access to the Katmandu Park. Our gold pass basically meant that we could use the splash park, the soft play and all but two of the rides at the theme park. In fact the only things not included in our package were the mini-golf, two rides at Katmandu Park and the Go-ape style assault course. My children were too young for the assault course and I wasn’t that interested in the golf so I decided not to bother to upgrade our passes. For an extra 20 Euros per person I could have upgraded our passes to access all areas but I didn’t really see the point.

If you decided to stay on a bed and breakfast basis or on a half board basis, I think you may have to pay extra for the play passes to allow you to use the entire facilities I have mentioned above. Obviously I can only speak from personal experience and what was actually included for the price I paid when visiting.

The Hotel
As I mentioned earlier in my review, one of the reason I chose this hotel was simply because of what it had to offer. It is located 250 metres from the nearest beach, has three swimming pools, a theme park, a water park and a soft play so I was pretty certain my children would not have a chance to get bored. I will outline the main features of the hotel here;

Swimming Pool
The hotel has three swimming pools although if I am being critical the swimming pool area itself is quite small for the size of the hotel. One pool is a fairly decent size and the other two are circle shaped and not particularly large. One of the circular shaped pools is for just children and is very shallow to the point my three year old could stand up in there easily. The other circular pool is deeper but doesn’t really allow for actual swimming due to its shape and size.

The main pool, the larger one can be accessed by steps which are located at one end of the pool. You can also lower yourself into the pool by two other sets of steps which take you straight into the deep end. My children were both non swimmers (before this holiday anyway) so they opted to enter the pool at the main entrance which consisted of three steps which took you into the shallow end of the pool. There was also a handrail which was useful for my three year old to hold on to when he was getting into the pool.

The three swimming pools are surrounded by plenty of sunbeds which are free to use. I am lucky (in some ways) as my children are early risers so we always managed to get sunbeds but they certainly do seem to be harder to come by in the afternoons when pretty much all the beds are taken up. On the day we arrived we walked around several times before finding one single bed which was free so getting a sunbed might be an issue if you like to have a lay in.

At the far end of the swimming pool area there is a fairly large pool bar which opens at 10am and closes at 7pm.

Restaurant
There is one main restaurant which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. On entering the restaurant for each of the mealtimes, you are required to give your room number to a member of staff and then a waiter seats you.

Breakfast is served from 7am – 10:30am. Breakfast is self service in the form of a buffet. Breakfast was one of my favourite meals here, purely because there was so much choice - cereals, large selection of fresh breads, cakes, croissants, fruit, yogurt. There is also a counter where there are chefs behind coking various items fresh. These items included fried eggs, waffles, omelettes (various varieties) and pancakes. There was a selection of fresh juices which you could help yourself to, as well as a machine offering teas, coffees and hot chocolates. As well as all that, there was also a hot selection in the breakfast area which consisted of items such as scrambled egg, toast, sausages, beans, tomatoes and fried potatoes. The selection is huge for breakfast and the food is kept nice and hot despite the fact that it is buffet.

Lunch starts at 12.00 and finished at 14.30. It self service again and you have a wide range of choice so there should be something to suit every taste. The food does change every day which is nice to see and I have found other all inclusive to be a bit repetitive. Most lunch times there were dishes that included meat, fish, vegetables, pasta and rice. There was also a large selection of meats, cheeses and salads available as well as a massive selection of bread rolls.

Dinner is served between 18.00 – 22.00. Again, this meal time was quite impressive with plenty of choice on the menu. As well as being able to help yourself to any of the buffet food, there are chefs cooking fresh meat dishes and fresh fish dishes. There were always different rice and pasta dishes available with varying sauces which changed daily. The theme of the food changed each day we were there, we had Mexican night, Chinese night and Italian night to name a few. On one night I was pleased to find enormous freshly cooked prawns with a garlic sauce and huge sprigs of asparagus. On the Italian nights the dishes included spinach lasagne, mushroom risotto and vegetable risotto so as you can see there was always plenty of choice.

One downside to the restaurant was that drinks are only available by waiter service. Occasionally it did take 10 minutes or so for a waiter to come and take our order which was a little bit of a pain if the kids were thirsty but on the whole this didn’t really cause an issue. There were loads of drinks available such as coke, fanta, lemonade and all local alcoholic drinks which were included as part of the all inclusive package.

In order to dine in the restaurant, you are required to be dressed, i.e. you can’t just pop into the restaurant to eat with your swim stuff on. This wasn’t really an issue for us at breakfast and dinner but sometimes it was a bit of a pain when it was lunch time and you had just got out of the pool and needed to go up to the room to get changed into dry clothes to go and eat. There is another option for lunch available at the pool bar which I will explain later if you do not wish to get changed.

The restaurant is a decent size with plenty of tables which all vary in size. We ate dinner at different times every night and I did notice that the restaurant seemed to be very busy with a queue out the door roughly an hour after dinner first started being served. We tended to go for dinner earlier rather than later and for some reason, this period seemed to be much quieter which suited us well.

Pool Bar
As I mentioned earlier, at the far end of the swimming pool area there is a fairly large pool bar which opens at 10am and closes at 7pm. At this bar they serve a selection of hot and cold drink including really nice coffees for the grown ups and slushies for the kids. They also serve chocolate milk which was something my little boy loved. As well as serving drinks they also serve a selection of food items which can be eaten by the pool.

My children loved being in the pool for as long as possible so we ate lunch at the pool bar nearly every day. The food is served in a buffet style and there is limited choice but still perfectly acceptable for lunch time. Food available consists of chips, onion rings, burgers, sausages and toasted sandwiches. There are also bread rolls, hot dog rolls and burger buns available. Last of all there are salad items, yogurts and a large selection of fruit available too.

My children really enjoyed being able to go up to the bar and help themselves to their food. They also loved the fact that they were able to eat their burgers sitting on a sun lounger and for me, it made encouraging them out of the pool to eat that much easier.

Lobby Bars
There are two lobby bars, one inside the ground floor near reception and one which is located inside the sweet shop. Both these bars open at 7pm and close at some point in the early hours. Again, the usual hot and cold drinks are served and also all the local alcoholic drinks, including cocktails. Although the hotel can get very busy in the evenings and there is sometimes a queue at these bars, I was always served within around 5 minutes.

There is plenty of comfortable seating located inside the hotel lobby and right near the lobby bar. The seating is a mixture of armchairs and standard chairs with a table for each set of seats. The lobby bar which is located near the sweet shop has plenty of seating surrounding it and this seating is outdoors so you can decide whether you would prefer to spend your evening indoors or outdoors.

Entertainment
The entertainment offered here is full on to say the least! There is a kids club available throughout the day although my children didn’t want to use it so I am unable to pass comment on this. However, as part of the kids club they carry out activities in the swimming pool such as running across the pool on a rubber mat to see how far you can get and this is something my children joined in with and very much enjoyed.

The kids disco is on every night and starts at 20:30 which in my opinion was a little late. The kids disco is hosted by the staff from the kids club and consists of lots of fun and games to popular songs and lasts for 1 hour. Once the kids disco has finished, there is further entertainment that is put on in different areas of the hotel. As my children are still quite young we didn’t always stay up for the entertainment that was put on after the disco but for the two nights that we did, the entertainment was just incredible.

On the first night we arrived they had large inflatable’s which had been erected in the outside area. The inflatable’s were turned into a huge water slide and another one was a long track which was sprayed with water and the kids could slide along the track on their tummy’s at super fast speeds. The inflatables were manned by the entertainment staff who helped the children on and off the inflatable’s. On the other night we stayed up they had another selection of huge inflatable’s including a large bouncy castle, a Velcro wall on which the kids are thrown onto to see how high they stick and an inflatable slide. My kids were in seventh heaven as there was just so much for them to do. My only slight grumble would be that I felt that entertainment went on until a little too late for my children, especially my three year old who was desperate to take part even though he was dead on his feet.

Katlantis Splash Park
One of the attractions housed at Katmandu Park & Resort is Katlantis Splash Park. This is an underwater themed splash park/water park. In the middle of the splash park there is a water fortress with several twisting slides, interactive water elements including fountains and water guns and two enormous drenching buckets which fill up and then release over 3,000 litres of water every five minutes onto anyone standing below them.

Each session inside the water park last for 2 hours, although we visited the water park every day and were only asked to leave once during our stay. I assume that when it is not very busy you are allowed to play for as long as you like but during busier periods you will be given a time slot.

The water fortress has two sets of steps either side which takes you up to the slides. There are three slides which are suitable for all ages. One set of two identical slides are quite small and quite clearly aimed at the smaller children. The other two slides although bigger and with more twists and turns are still aimed at smaller children and parents are also allowed to ride down the slide with their children which was great for me as my three year old was slightly cautious of riding the slides by himself for the first couple of days.

Last of all there are three slides which are located at the top of the water fortress. These slides are suitable for children over 110cm and only one rider at a time can ride these slides. These slides are manned by a lifeguard who will tell you when it is safe for you to go down the slide. Both my children wanted to attempt these slides and I explained that they were not tall enough but they wanted to try anyway. I was surprised that on all occasions bar one they were allowed to ride the slides despite neither of them being 110cm tall although in all honestly I am not sure why there is a height restriction as they were perfectly safe riding the slides. These three larger slides are all enclosed and are dark as you ride down them. They have lots of twists and turns until you come out in a safe area at the bottom.

My children really enjoyed riding all the slides and although the water park was busy at time we never queued for longer than about 5 minutes for the slides. My three year old really enjoyed standing underneath the fountains and aimed the water guns at people as they were riding down the slides. The drenching buckets that tip the water also seemed to be quite popular although you might need to watch it is you have smaller children as the water does come down with some force and nearly took my three year old off his feet a couple of times, not that he seemed to mind!

Katlantis Soft Play
Katlantis soft play is an underwater themed, five story soft play area and is the largest soft play structure in Spain. The entire soft play area is air conditioned so I found it useful to try and encourage the kids to go to soft play during the hottest part of the day. There is a small seating area for parents but you are actually able to drop your kids off for an hour and half session and then collect them at the end. However, this wasn’t something I was comfortable doing so I stayed with them and sat in the little seating area.

The soft play area is very well designed and as I mentioned earlier it has an underwater theme. There are statues of mermaids, sharks and fish all over the place and all of the play equipment is decorated with sea-themed items. The soft play looks like it has been really well kept; it looks clean and fresh and is a lovely temperature due to the air conditioning.

The soft play is designed for children aged 12 and under. There are actually two areas, one designed for toddlers and then the majority is for the older children, probably aged 5 and older. Parents are not allowed into the main body of the soft play with their children but you are allowed in the smaller toddler area.

Inside you will find giant slides, spinning teacups, an interactive ball battle, trampolines and tunnels just to name a few. The toddler area has lots of interactive musical areas, as well as smaller versions of the slides and tunnels.

Each session last for 90 minutes and there is a member of staff stood by the front door watching all the children so as I mentioned earlier, you are able to leave your children for the whole 90 minute session if you wish to do so.

Sock are required for your child to be able to play in the soft play. They can wear their own socks but if like me, you didn’t actually take any socks on holiday with you, then you can purchase a pair from a little counter inside the soft play area for 2 Euros 20 a pair. The socks come in blue and pink and have Katmandu written on them so the kids now have a nice little memory from their stay here.

Katmandu House
Katmandu House is one of the main features of the park and is located pretty central within the park. Katmandu House is a large upside down house. My children were fascinated with the fact that the house was upside down and the attention to detail on the design of the house is quite impressive.

Of course, it’s inside the house where all the fun happens though. As you first enter the house, you are taken down to the bottom (or top depending on how you view it) where you travel on foot throughout the house. The house is full of interactive experiences and illusions. Upon exiting the lift you have to make your way through an icy mirror maze, travel through rooms which appear to be leaning in different directions, help a musical enchanted rainforest some to life and navigate through a spinning tunnel. In the last section of the house you are met with life size games such as light games, an enormous connect four and musical games. The very end section requires you to put on 4D glasses where you are taken into an underwater world where the fish comes out of the screen and swim around your head. The last section is a bit more sinister and you have to try and survive a shark attack as he jumps out of the screen and tried to eat your face!

As I said earlier, the house is totally interactive and there is lots to keep you entertained inside. There is an ice wall where you can scrape your name into the ice, pictures which change as you look at them and you even get to walk through an ice cave where you get to meet the famous Boro the Yeti who is the mascot for Katmandu Park.

My kids loved the upside down house and we walked through it at least two times every day and they never seemed to tire of all the things to see and do inside.

Katmandu Park
This is the theme park which is also located within the hotel complex. In here you will find several rides, which are mostly 3D and all interactive. The gold pass which came as part of my all inclusive package allowed us to go on all but one of the rides and I will outline the rides we did below.

4D Experience
In here you are each given a pair of glasses and need to sit in a theatre type area on an interactive chair, in which you need to be strapped in to. There are four different videos which are shown in here and the videos are changed throughout the different days.

The four videos are as follows;

Jett and Jin
On this ride you are fitted with a jet-pack (purely on the screen, not actually physically fitted with one!) and you follow a little boy (Jett) and his dare-devil cat (Jin) as they travel with their jet packs through the City trying to get Jett to school after he misses the school bus.

Canyon Coaster
On this ride you are taken on a 4D virtual adventure through the canyons and caves of the American South West. The rollercoaster has lots of twist and turns and plenty of unexpected surprises along the way!

Cosmic Coaster
This ride is again 4D and on this one you are taken on a ride through space with lots of surprises and plenty of bumps along the way.

Haunted Mine
This takes you through an abandoned goldmine that just happens to be haunted, expect lots of surprises.

As I mentioned earlier, this ride is completely interactive regardless of which video you see. The chair you sit on acts as a simulator so as you bump into things or fall off things on the screen, your chair will tilt you to make it feel like you are really in the video. I have been on rides like this in Disneyland, America but it was both my children’s first ever experience of something like this and it’s safe to say they completely loved it.

Desperados
On this ride you have to sit astride a seat which has been designed to look like the back of a horse. Just in front of your ‘horse’ there is a little bucket in which your gun is located. In here you take a simulated horseback ride where you have to shoot all the baddies! You are in competition with everyone else on the ride at the same time as you as you are scored by how many things you hit! At the end of the game your photo appears on the screen, along with your score and where you are ranked out of the 16 people playing at the same time as you.

Zombies! XD Dark Ride
In this ride you are seated on a simulator chair in which you are strapped in to. Next to your chair you will find your laser gun. This ride starts with you driving in a car which then crashes. From here you need to battle with all the Zombies which come at you from all angles. I entered this ride without realising what it was and it wasn’t until the ride started and I saw Zombies appear on the screen that I suddenly became a little worried for my five and three year old!! The game is quite graphic and the Zombies are actually pretty scary! When the Zombies are being shot you can see blood splatting out from their heads! Both my children (luckily) really enjoyed this ride despite the fact it was quite scary. It wasn’t until day three that a member of staff informed me that this game was aimed at children aged 9 and over but that I was welcome to take my children on if I thought they would be ok. So the gruesomeness of this ride is something you might like to consider if you are visiting with young children. At the end this ride you are shown your score and ranked out of 16 against the other people on the ride at the same time as you. My kids loved seeing their photo come up on the screen and didn’t seem to mind that they were always ranked as the last two!

Los Banditos XD Dark Ride
This ride is housed in the same theatre as the Zombie ride I have detailed above so the seats are exactly the same and you are still armed with a laser gun. This ride is much tamer than the Zombie ride as in here you need to chase and shoot mutant cowboys! Once the ride finishes your photo appears on the screen with your final score and where this ranks you out of the other 16 riders.

The House Of Magic
This is the final attraction we did inside Katmandu Park and this is slightly different from the other rides. This is an actual theatre which shows the beginning of the movie ‘House of Magic’. You are required to wear 4D glasses as you follow the adventures of Thunder, a young ginger cat who has been abandoned. As he tries to find somewhere to shelter he encounters an angry dog and a thunderstorm. He eventually finds himself in a run-down house owned by an old magician. Thunder gets to see all the magician’s creations come to life in 4D.
My children loved this show. It is nice and easy for children to follow and has a nice happy ending. The 4D side of things is wonderful to watch with lots all going on at the same time. The theatre is very interactive with moving seats, wind blowing in your face and water shooting out at you during certain parts of the film.

There were three other attractions located at Katmandu Park that I am unable to pass comment on as we actually didn’t take part in these activities because my children were too young and they were not included with our gold entertainment passes. However, I will outline the basic details of these below;

The Asylum (age 12+ only)
This ride is a 5D interactive experience which takes you on a disturbing journey through a horror film. This ride takes place in the same theatre/area as the Zombie ride so all the seats are the same and you are still armed with a gun.

Expedition Golf
There are also two mini golf courses on site at Katmandu Park. The golf courses are designed to look like mythical worlds and there are two to choose from – fire or ice. You can choose to play either 18 or 36 holes.

K3 Climb
For anyone who is familiar with Go-Ape, the K3 climb is along the same lines. A 16 metre high, multi level climbing frame that includes 57 different challenging sections. You can tackle different obstacles including riding a bike along a type-rope, a giant rope swing and a 16 metre free fall plunge. There are three different skill levels to choose from so there should be something to suit most abilities. You need to be 130cm to attempt the K3 climb.

Summary
In summary I would highly recommend a stay at the Sol Katmandu Park & Resort. I must admit I was a little bit cautious about staying in the centre of Magaluf with my two small children and I had read some awful reviews about the hotel with regards to the room being tiny and it being far too busy and noisy but this is not something I experienced.

Admittedly the room was small but it was perfectly suitable for our needs and with everything there is to do at the hotel we didn’t actually spend a great deal of time in the room anyway. Our room was cleaned to a very high standard every day and always smelt nice and clean too. I thought the complimentary toiletries on offer were plentiful and a nice touch.

Although the pool area may have been a little too small for the amount of guests staying at the hotel, I still never found the pool area too busy or too crowded and I did not have any issues securing a sun bed for the day. Both my children were not swimmers before we went on holiday (my 5 year old is now a swimmer) and I was slightly worried that the pool may be full with children and I would have trouble trying to keep an eye on my children but this was never an issue.

The restaurant offered a nice variety of food and not once did I see the same dish which is encouraging for an all inclusive. The food was always nice and hot and empty dishes were replaced almost instantly. It was nice to see 3-4 different dishes available as well as the freshly cooked meat and fish. I liked the fact that lunch was also available at the pool bar as it gave you the option to eat by the pool rather than having to get dressed and eat in the restaurant and this is something that the kids really enjoyed doing.

The entertainment on offer is just incredible, if anything there is almost too much to do and it’s safe to say my children and I was exhausted by the end of our stay. We only ventured out of the hotel for one day to Marine land and to be honest, we could have got away without venturing out at all. The fact that there is a water park, a theme park and a soft play area available as well as three pool to swim in meant that we didn’t have any time to get bored and there was always something else to do once we tired of one activity. My only slight grumble is that the kids disco started a little late for my liking and I would have preferred for it to start at 19:30 rather than 20:30.

I think the £1300 I paid for the three of us to stay on an all-inclusive basis was more than reasonable; especially when you consider all that was included with our stay. Essentially that money covered our accommodation, our food and drink and all entertainment for the entire week.

If you are looking for a resort based holiday that is a short haul flight, short transfer time from the airport and will keep you entertained all week, then you will not go wrong with picking the Sol Katmandu Park & Resort.

• jb0077 published 13/09/2017