Son Cubano [Goldies] - Various Artists

Son Cubano [Goldies] - Various Artists

Review of "Son Cubano [Goldies] - Various Artists"

published 02/01/2011 | Andy.mack
Member since : 29/08/2002
So after 12 and a half years I've finally made it to Gold, thanks to everyone for the reads, rates and comments since I became a member
Pro Might have worked
Cons Script, characters, pretty much everything

"Three Weddings. One Happy Couple, One Bored Viewer"

When Wedding magazine Confetti launch a competition for the most original Wedding a documentary crew follows the three finalists in this documentary. The three finalists include a naturists Wedding, a Tennis theme and a Wedding based on a musical. The three concepts catch the attention of the head of the magazine and he piles his support to one particular concept. The rest of the film follows these ideas from their conception to their execution in front of a judging panel in a hotel conference suite, the prize a dream home and an appearance on the cover of the magazine.

Perhaps the first thing I should point out is that this was one of Jen’s recent choices on our trip to the ex rental section in Blockbusters. We had been looking for a few DVD’s for our trip to Dorset in September and as she was having withdrawal symptoms as our own Wedding was passed she choice this supposed comedy following a mock Wedding competition. As soon as I read the premise I didn’t expect much and it is fair to say that my initial thoughts were soon confirmed. I can honestly say that the 94 minute run time was approximately 94 minutes too long for me. Jen on the other hand found it quite amusing but then it was Wedding based and that came as no surprise.

This was the first and only time I’ve come across writer and director Debbie Isitt to date and on the basis of this movie I won’t really be in any desperation to see any other films she’s been involved in. I think it would be fair to say that the direction side of things wasn’t too bad. The movie looked quite impressive and the cast seemed to do what was required but the biggest problem was a very weak script that tried too hard to create funny moments that perhaps looked funnier on paper than they actually ended up being on screen.

You can see the potential of some of the ideas within the script but the way they are portrayed in the documentary style filming just didn’t work for me. the style of the film didn’t really work either and it gave the feeling that it was trying a little too hard to look like a documentary rather than a comedy take on the current TV fad. You just have to look at David Walliams and Matt Lucas’s Come Fly With Me to see how this sort of thing should be done properly in a comedy format. I’m afraid the concept just seemed to really miss the point and one vital element seemed to have been missed, decent comedy.

It’s a bit of a shame in all honesty though as they have clearly gone to a lot of effort to pull together a decent cast of some of Britain’s best comedy actors. In the role of the magazine’s editor we see Jimmy Carr, but his performance as an actor is mixed at best. He perhaps provides some of the funnier moments but from the start I found his character quite annoying and as a result found it hard to particularly like him. I do like Jimmy as a comedian but having seen this I don’t think acting is really a sideline he should pursue.

When you look at the rest of the cast it is a real collection of some of Britain’s best with Martin Freeman, Jessica Stephenson and Robert Webb all taking leading roles in the movie. The material just isn’t strong enough for them and what had quite a bit of promise seems to really struggle because of the poor script. The idea and the casting would have worked but with jokes that didn’t really come across as they perhaps should and a weak plot it was just never going to work regardless of how good the cast were.

Overall I think it is fair to say that whilst the film wasn’t my ideal watching I had hoped for something much better given the cast. It’s a film Jen did enjoy but that was more down to the Wedding theme rather than the actual film itself and even she admitted it wasn’t as good as she had expected. As if you need the warning I would strongly suggest that the guys reading this avoid this film like the plague, if only to avoid you having to look at a naked Robert Webb. It’s a poor film that surprised me, but not in a good way and one I really can’t bring myself to recommend.

• Deesrev published 04/01/2011
    Smashing candid review with a great title :D x
  • dioraaz published 03/01/2011
    LOL love your title. Thanks for the review.
  • paulpry118 published 03/01/2011
    Dont thnk I'll bother with this one

offers "Son Cubano [Goldies] - Various Artists"

Product Information : Son Cubano [Goldies] - Various Artists

An improvised mockumentary comedy that sees three couples attempt to win a magazine competition to find the 'Most Original Wedding of the Year'. After the wedding competition is set up by the owner of Confetti magazine - played by the comedian Jimmy Carr, three couples are chosen to compete in the finals and the film charts their progress as they attempt to win their dream marriage. Couple one--comprised of Martin Freeman (THE OFFICE) and Jessica Stevenson (SPACED)--intend to have a musical wedding. Couple two--comprised of the PEEPSHOW duo Robert Webb and Olivia Coleman--are nudists. The third couple of Stephen Mangan (GREEN WING) and Meredith MacNeill (MAN STROKE WOMAN) are obsessed with tennis. This entertaining comedy is notable for its mockumentary style and use of improvised dialogue, a device used by Christopher Guest in the films THIS IS SPINAL TAP and BEST IN SHOW. The film features appearances by several actors familiar from British comedies, such as Felicity Montagu (I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE) and Julia Davis (NIGHTY NIGHT). This frequently amusing, breezy film is a romantic comedy that manages to bring new dimensions to the genre and the use of improvised dialogue adds a freshness to it. Relying on sharp character humour, CONFETTI manages to combine its spoof documentary style and use of a traditional British romantic comedy narrative successfully.

Listed on Ciao since: 21/07/2006