Sony DPF-E72

Sony DPF-E72

Review of "Sony DPF-E72"

published 08/11/2010 | kama0529
Member since : 03/10/2005
I'm here to review products in as honest a way as possible. I will rate any product by those who rate me. If I miss you then just let me know :)
Good
Pro Interchangable frames. Internal 250MB memory. Orientation sensor.
Cons Cost. Resolution. Lacks inspiration.
Presentation

"Sony DPF-E72: Fairly basic frame."

I was bought the Sony DFP-E72N (not a very catchy name) photo frame as a present, but having looked up the cost, I see that it costs around £65 from Amazon.....so not cheap!

Unlike the other photo frame I have, this frame does have an internal memory of 128MB and so its possible to store a variety of photos all at one time. I find that I can generally store about 60 photos on the frame at any one time - which is really convenient because it means I can easily swap between photos depending on my mood and the situation. If I'm having friends over to stay, I might swap the photo to be one of the group of us together, and if I'm wanting to create a relaxing, romantic mood, then I might swap the photo to a landscape lake scene - or something like that. I'm sure you catch my drift. There is also a slideshow option if you just want the photo to be changed periodically.

I like that the frame is able to determine the orientation of the photo (landscape or portrait) without me having to mess around with the settings. Apparently, there is a orientation sensor that makes that possible.

Its easy to move images from my camera card to the frame because there is a multi-card slot which accepts my SD card. However, it also accepts Memory Stick and XD Media Cards - and so this covers most bases. Once you've plugged in the card, the frame automatically stores the images ready for use.

A nice touch is that you can choose from a choice of frame designs, as well as calendar views and clock views. The frame can either be black, brown or red - although I think the black frame looks the most classy and so I tend not to switch from this. I think it would be nice if there were a few more options....maybe some funky colours or some funky patterns which may be appealing for a party atmosphere or for a child's bedroom.

The image quality is "okay". I wouldn't say it was fantastic - but its passable. I just feel that a photo frame that costs nearly £70 should display photos at a higher resolution than this because some of the photos (which may be 10MB) are actually a little fuzzy and non-crisp....which is a bit irritating. This resolution is 800 pixel - 600 pixels, and I would like to see it higher. The size of the frame is decent (7 inches x 5 inches) so this makes it ideal for standard photo size.

Overall, I would say this frame is okay, but its not great. If they could improve the photo resolution quality then this would be a good photo frame, but for me, image quality is all. It also lacks a little inspiration.
Summary: Just okay.

Product Information : Sony DPF-E72

The Sony DPF-E72N is a digital photo frame with 7-inch wide LCD panel and wide range of view modes. Your photo frame can be positioned vertically or on its side, just as you please. Whichever way you prefer it, there's a smart sensor inside that automatically flips images so they're always displayed the right way up.

EAN: 4905524566444, 4905524606812

SDHC Card: No

Memory Stick / Memory Stick Pro: Yes

Compact Flash Card: No, Yes

Multimedia Card: No, Yes

Included Accessories: AC adapter, remote control, stand, 3 x interchangeable frames , power adapter

Display Format: 480 x 234

External Control Devices: Remote control

Playback Image Resolution (max): 8000 x 6000, 48 megapixels

Supported Still Images Formats: BMP, JPEG, TIFF, RAW (preview only)

Display Type: 7" TFT

Flash Memory Cards Supported: Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, Memory Stick Duo, xD-Picture Card

Integrated Flash Memory: 128 MB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 21.2 cm x 11.5 cm x 14.2 cm, 21.2 cm x 3.9 cm x 14.2 cm

Device Type: Digital photo frame

Product Description: Sony DPF-E72N - digital photo frame, Sony DPF-E72 - digital photo frame

Environmental Parameters

Max Operating Temperature: 35 °C

Min Operating Temperature: 5 °C

Miscellaneous

System Requirements

Peripheral(s): USB port

Operating System: MS Windows Vista SP1, MS Windows XP SP3, Apple MacOS X 10.4 or later, MS Windows 2000 Professional SP4

Connectivity

Connections: Hi-Speed USB - USB Type B

Still Images

Photo Playback Modes: Zoom in, zoom out, rotate, delete

Playback Image Resolution (max): 8000 x 6000, 48 megapixels

Supported Still Images Formats: BMP, JPEG, TIFF, RAW (preview only)

Digital Photo Frame

Device Type: Digital photo frame

MPN: DPFE72NB.CEK, DPFE72, DPF-E72N/B

Colour: Black

Power Device

Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Listed on Ciao since: 23/04/2009