Sony DVP-FX 810

Sony DVP-FX 810

With DivX Playback, Without DivX Playback - Without HDMI Connection - DVD-RW Player - DVD-R Player - DVD+R Player - with DVD+RW Playback

Review of "Sony DVP-FX 810"

published 22/08/2006 | xxDanmanxx
Member since : 17/04/2005
Good
Pro Nice look, nice to tilt screen, good battery
Cons cant share, poor brightness
Picture Playback
Sound Level
Ease of Use
Ease of Installation
Remote Control

"The Force Was Not Strong on this One"

The Sony DVP-FX810 is one of few portable DVD players from Sony, which boasts a 3 hour battery life, the ability to turn and tilt the screen 180 degrees, turning it into a tablet player, and a sleek fresh design. So obviously, I saw it, and decided, hey why not give it a go.

You see I have children, its sad but true, and since the beginning of time, or at least as far back as I can remember, children have argued and bickered amongst themselves, and then man Invented TV. This new magical box managed to calm the souls of children, and indeed the arguing did stop, well until you got them out intro the car anyway. And so many has searched long and hard (man being me) for a way to calm them down when in the car, so that simple journeys no longer are life threatening.

So I set out to buy a portable DVD player, and the one I decided to go for, obviously, was the Sony DVP-FX810. Now, obviously, it was the sleek design which caught my eye, Sony had moved away from the traditional silver of other players and had gone all black, with a nice shiny hard cover for the screen which just adds to the aesthetics.

So it had caught my eye, and now for the hard part, handing over £190, yes yet another goodly sum of money invested into the kids. And then it was done, and I now had a new toy. Back at home I opened up the box, to have my first little play or "testing session" as I like to call it.

Well before I checked it over, I had a good quick inspection, working out how to swivel the screen, and looking over all the buttons, and what I noticed straight from the off was that the control buttons where a bit awkward, being at the bottom of the screen, for use in tablet mode I guess, which didn't seem natural, and a little hard to use, so I noted it down in the 'against' column on my check list.

Next, I cracked open star wars episode III, the bench mark test. So I plugged the now charged battery into the player (which is a cute fit I must say) and powered it on, skipped to some good bits, and was immediately disappointed. I couldn't believe it, I couldn't see anything. I mean, the light scenes were dark, and the dark scenes were just pitch black. So, as any good fiddler wood, I tried to change the brightness and contrast, and nothing work. Was it just my player or was it them all. So, now at this point I decided to look to the internet, and indeed it seemed I wasn't the only one experiencing this, and the only way to fix it is to tilt it about 5 degrees towards you, great thanks for telling me now.

Any way, I did this and continued to play the movie, and indeed, the brightness was sorted, and I could watch my movies clearly and crisply. So big deal, some of you may say, who cares if you have to tilt the screen, this box looks the parts, it had a nice price tag and enough features to satisfy. But that's where we come to the problem, because u have to be in the right place to view the player, it means this machine isn't at all good for sharing, and only one kid could use it at time, and this just started more arguments, so I had to say good bye to the DVP-FX810, second it back to the shop and try another one, oh well, second time lucky eh?

• solomon_tsx49 published 21/05/2007
    great review
  • n13roy published 22/08/2006
    Sounds like a typical Sony product nowdays, over-rated and over-priced, and doesn't last long either, I refuse to buy their products anymore.........Roy.......
  • ShoppersDiary published 22/08/2006
    Glad you found something to calm down the kids! Sounds like you have a handful...