Mickie26 4

Mickie26

About me: Is it just me or has Ciao lost the community feel it used to have?

Member since:11.01.2003

The Sony DVP-PR30 Is My Little Black Box

18.03.2009

Advantages:
Neat, Stylish and Performs Well .

Disadvantages:
Quite basic but it works well .

Picture Playback

and a further member
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. Soho_Black
  3. frankiecesca

Sony Persona DVP-PR30 is a Compact DVD Player in black. It is a neat little DVD Player with excellent performance, it has a Precision Drive 3 Mechanism for fast, stable and accurate playback. The playback has always been clear audibly and swift. There are many features to the Sony Persona DVP-PR30 including; Playback of DVD-RW/-R /-R DL (VR mode w/o CPRM), Playback of JPEG, mp3, Audio CD-R/RW, Super VCD discs, DivX Playback and Fast / Slow Playback with Sound.
The product measures 998g and when boxed it weighs just 2.3 Kg. The Sony Persona DVP-PR30 was released in 2008 and is still relatively new to the market.
Initially I bought this for my bedroom to work alongside my new wide-screen television set. It is lightweight but well made so the remote is easy to use with my TV. I loved the way it was so neat and compact it takes up hardly any room. This is ideal for a bedroom or smaller sized room and if you haven't got much space then this is a fantastic system. I think it was rather misleading to be advertised as a portable and I have never used it as a portable.

If you can look past the misleading advertising of portable then I think you will enjoy the benefits of owning such a neat, compact DVD player.

They are available in other colours, but my preference was always black. There's a thing with black that it will go with almost any décor so that's a really big plus in my book. If you go with any of the other colours your décor needs to match them or they'll look out of place. I suppose it depends on personal preference, but if you have bright red wall paper and get a pink one it might not look kind of right. Mind you I suppose if you have bright red wallpaper in your bedroom then you won't have an eye for décor in the first place!

It's a bit like that Little Britain sketch where Andy wants red paint on his walls and just as the carer goes to paint the last bit of red he shouts out, "I don't like it". Still I deter, but I just thought I'd put that in to make you smile!

Talking of smiling, I was quite delighted when I received my Sony Persona DVP-PR30 from Amazon a few months ago. I didn't expect it to live up to my expectations and I certainly didn't expect it to be quite so nice looking. This little beauty does a great job and is a sexy little thing. I felt completely happy with my purchase. It is always a risk when you cannot see the product face to face even from a reputable company like Sony. It was kind of like a blind date, but I was very happy with it's looks and style especially when you consider the price.

Going back to the misleading advertising that this was indeed a portable I think what it truly meant was that this can be moved easily around the house. I certainly wouldn't carry this around with me and I think it was false advertising selling it as a portable. Like I say, neat and compact it is, but not quite portable. The other point of it being portable is that it has no screen so therefore you wouldn't be able to use it as a portable even if you did want to carry it around with you. Oh, and it wouldn't fit in a handbag, not even one of those great big handbags that Paris Hilton wears! I don't really think it would look quite right carrying a DVD player around with you, it's not really the next big fashion craze. Although I've seen fashions far more absurd than this!

I must warn you that if you want a portable DVD player don't buy this. I have known of people buying this as a gift for someone because they think it is portable and being disappointed. If you want something that is compact and easy to move around the house you won't be disappointed.

The information on the box tells you that it works well for playing DVDs and CDs and I agree with this. It functions well and includes lot's of little extras that are really handy. I'll talk about those later in the review. Another factor that I love about this DVD player is that it is very light weight making it even easier to carry around the house with you. Sony is an excellent, well known brand it's one of the top brands recognised by many people and for this reason the price is very compatible with other similar products by different brands. One thing you might be concerned over is the remote control telling you it is multi brand but, actually there was no problem here. The remote worked fine and looked good in my bedroom.

You might be asking what type of player it is and whether it is reliable due to it's size. In answer to this it is a fantastic player that is very reliable.

It has some fantastic search features such as on-screen picture select where instead of numbers, you can opt for sections of the disc by means of stills from the film or whatever you're watching. Another great feature is searching at fast or slow speed with sound, great for musical passages. It will play all your discs whether CD-r, DVD-r etc. etc. All the controls can be found on the remote control, so the only ones you can access on the unit itself is standby and play. I really like the way Sony have done this as it means you don't have to keep getting up and pressing the box like some DVD Players require you to do.

I got fed up with my old DVD Player for that reason, but fortunately with this one all the buttons are on the remote control. Just make sure you don't lose the remote control! There's usually fights in our house because we are forever losing the controls and if it's not the controls then it's my glasses or keys that have gone missing. I wonder if I'm the only one who loses things so often?

I use a high standard scart lead from Prowire and the playback + sound is as clear as a bell. Considering this is a low priced domestic machine it is good performance all around. If you are on a budget then you won't be disappointed. What with the economic mess we're in we need more bargains like this especially since it's from such a reputable company. I think companies are starting to lower their prices due to the great pressure we are in economically.

With its wedge shape slant and minimalist looks, it would suit contemporary tastes that cannot afford a higher priced DVD Player. Even if you can afford a higher price why not save some of your money for a rainy day? Bank it and get not just a cheaper DVD Player, but one that works just as well to boot.

Originally I was prepared to pay a little extra for the piece of mind of purchasing a product with a long term lifespan, but fortunately I found a DVD Player that is not only from Sony, but also costs a lot less than what I had imagined. That's why I'd encourage anyone to purchase this.

As far as similar products on the market both Sony and Panasonic have excellent models on the market, but this DVD costs less and performs just as well. I love the speed with which it operates, and I also like the picture and sound quality. Overall, it's a good package and certainly a great choice for those on a lower budget who also want the quality you would expect from Sony.

It is excellent value for money and I highly recommend it. It is easy to set up, good picture quality and sound. I have had no software problems or loading failures (so-far)! with a price of just £31.71 and 15 new and used ones from £20.35 on Amazon it is amazing value.

The unit is sleek and discreet and this new Sony DVD player performs as well as my older one, in fact it plays a lot smoother. Playing DVD's from this player is simply stunning and I am so glad that I purchased the Sony one rather than Samsung that I was thinking of purchasing. If you want a player that's reliable and performs well then this could be the one for you.

All in all I heartily recommend it as a way to get more pleasure from your DVD's. No longer are DVD player's just something you shove a disk in, and play they have had to compete with the ever expanding market and learn to multi task more and more. It is a tidy little two in one unit with the same features as most other machines in this price band.

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this review’s content

grafter123 22.03.2009 20:01

plenty of info and sounds ok

arnoldhenryrufus 22.03.2009 00:53

sounds a nice piece of equipment - lyn x

MizzMolko 20.03.2009 14:36

No it's not just you who is constantly losing stuff - if it's not my earings, it's often my muttering going 'where's my key?' lol! Eleanor x