Sony Ericsson HCB-100 Bluetooth Car Speakerphone

Sony Ericsson HCB-100 Bluetooth Car Speakerphone

Review of "Sony Ericsson HCB-100 Bluetooth Car Speakerphone"

published 16/07/2010 | l500589
Member since : 02/08/2009
Hi all, Thanks for reading my review. My name is Mark, and Im from Stoke-On-Trent, I have just joined up to this site today (02.08.2009), so still finding my way around. It looks very good from what I have seen so far.
Pro small and compact
Cons Maybe a little dated now
Sound & Volume
Durability & Robustness

"Put your hands up!"

Mums will be mums, and as such will always worry about their children – well my mum always will!
For that reason on my 30th birthday I opened up my present from her, and it was a hands-free kit!
My mum had decided to buy me this because she was always worried about calling me on my mobile, just in case I was driving at the time – even though I wouldn’t have answered it if I was!!

The hands-free kit my mum got for me was the Sony Ericsson HCB-100 Bluetooth car speaker phone.
This little piece of kit is a small silver compact wireless hands free kit, which can be used in the car, at home, in the office, or pretty much anywhere required.
The HCB-100 is compatible with all Sony Ericsson blue-tooth phones as well as many other models including Motorola, Nokia, Siemens etc.

My mum made my dad and I set it up there and then (mainly because she knows what I am like for never getting around to doing things like that!). It took about 5 minutes to do, and was basically just a simple case of pairing the phone up with the hands-free unit, by pressing a couple of buttons as set out in the full comprehensive set of instructions contained in the box.
There is an option to choose a colour on the unit for the phone, which will then identify the phone if there are multiple phones connected to the hands-free unit in the car / office etc.

The HCB-100 is a very small compact unit – silver in colour, and has a black plastic clip attached to it, which is used to clip the unit to the sun visor in the car. Once clipped on, there is a little black arm which can be extended out from the unit which contains a microphone which improves the connection and call quality during a call.
To answer a call it is a simple case of reaching up to the unit on the visor and pressing call answer (or ‘yes button’ according to the instructions), after which the caller’s voice can be heard in the car via the speaker on the unit. The sound is very good, and the HCB-100 comes with digital noise cancellation/echo reduction (DSP), which helps to improve the quality of the sound. Once the call is finished, the call end button (‘no Button’) needs pressing. There is also a volume control dial at the side of the unit which can be used to adjust the sound of the caller’s voice through the speakers during a call.

The unit is very easy to use and has very clear buttons which include Answer, Reject, and Battery Status and Mute/Pair making it very easy to control whilst driving without taking your attention off the busy roads.

Included in the box is an in car charger, which fits into the cigarette lighter, and can then charge the hands-free unit, but as an added bonus it also fits any Sony Ericsson mobile phone as well, and so can be used as a phone charger too!!!!
The hands free kit has a battery life of 15 hours talking time, and 350 hours standby time, and so it rarely needs charging, but when it does the battery life status light turns from green to red to warn you.

Price wise – My mum paid £49:99 about 2 years ago, but as with all technology, the price has since fallen somewhat. I remember looking at this in the shops when it first came out, priced at over £100!
I have had a quick look on Amazon a short while ago, and have found that it is now available for just £22 new, and only £9:99 used!!

*** Overall Opinion ***

A hands-free kit is a ‘must have’ for drivers on the roads today, allowing the driver to concentrate on the road, and keep both hands on the wheel during conversations on the phone. This unit is very cheap, and extremely simple to use. The sound quality is good, and the unit is small and compact, making it easy to transport in your pocket / bag, or to pop into the glove box when not in use. I have changed phones since I first had this hands-free kit, and as I kept with a Sony Ericsson I am able to still use it.

Thanks for reading